macppc - Booting with a SATA PCI drive

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

macppc - Booting with a SATA PCI drive

Luigi30
I’m trying to run OpenBSD and Tiger on one hard drive on a Mac G4 tower. I’ve successfully installed 6.4 onto the drive and I can still boot from Tiger, so that’s good. I then copied ofwboot to the Tiger partition (since it’s the first HFS+ partition).

I have an Silicon Image 3112-based PCI SATA controller that’s recognized by OF.
Unfortunately, I can’t remember how to tell Open Firmware to boot from a SATA drive attached to a PCI controller so I can specify the OpenBSD boot image!

Does anyone know how to find out the partition’s location in the device tree so I can boot to BSD? I’m not good with Open Firmware, unfortunately. I’m more of a Classic person, with my Mac usually in OS 9.

Sent from my iPhone

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macppc - Booting with a SATA PCI drive

Peter J. Philipp-3
Hi,

Hope this will help you:

https://www.openbsd.org/macppc.html

search down to Boot device considerations (ultra0 for example boot
ultra0:,ofwboot /bsd)

Also perhaps this guide will help you in firmware

http://www.firmworks.com/QuickRef.html

(there is the devalias command in open firmware)

To enter the firmware press command-alt-o-f at power on, but you already
knew this right?

Good luck!

-peter


On 10/25/18 20:51, Katherine Rohl wrote:
> I’m trying to run OpenBSD and Tiger on one hard drive on a Mac G4 tower. I’ve successfully installed 6.4 onto the drive and I can still boot from Tiger, so that’s good. I then copied ofwboot to the Tiger partition (since it’s the first HFS+ partition).
>
> I have an Silicon Image 3112-based PCI SATA controller that’s recognized by OF.
> Unfortunately, I can’t remember how to tell Open Firmware to boot from a SATA drive attached to a PCI controller so I can specify the OpenBSD boot image!
>
> Does anyone know how to find out the partition’s location in the device tree so I can boot to BSD? I’m not good with Open Firmware, unfortunately. I’m more of a Classic person, with my Mac usually in OS 9.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macppc - Booting with a SATA PCI drive

Nick Holland
In reply to this post by Luigi30
On 10/25/18 14:51, Katherine Rohl wrote:

> I’m trying to run OpenBSD and Tiger on one hard drive on a Mac G4
> tower. I’ve successfully installed 6.4 onto the drive and I can still
> boot from Tiger, so that’s good. I then copied ofwboot to the Tiger
> partition (since it’s the first HFS+ partition).
>
> I have an Silicon Image 3112-based PCI SATA controller that’s
> recognized by OF. Unfortunately, I can’t remember how to tell Open
> Firmware to boot from a SATA drive attached to a PCI controller so I
> can specify the OpenBSD boot image!
>
> Does anyone know how to find out the partition’s location in the
> device tree so I can boot to BSD? I’m not good with Open Firmware,
> unfortunately. I’m more of a Classic person, with my Mac usually in
> OS 9.

You have much greater faith in Apple firmware doing things with
non-Apple HW than I do. :)

Apple built their firmware to boot MacOS from MacHW, and anything beyond
that that actually works is more good luck than their intent.  I'm not
saying it's impossible, it's just not guaranteed. And it might be buggy
if it does try to work.

I'd suggest just booting off your IDE disk and use your SATA disk as
non-boot space.  Or perhaps a SATA to IDE adapter and attach it to the
factory IDE port.

Nick.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macppc - Booting with a SATA PCI drive

Luigi30
Oh no, the SATA adapter works fine. It’s recognized by Open Firmware and the boot menu lets me select the Tiger install.

What I don’t know is how to *manually* boot it through the Open Firmware console so I can load the OpenBSD boot loader.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:13 PM, Nick Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 10/25/18 14:51, Katherine Rohl wrote:
>> I’m trying to run OpenBSD and Tiger on one hard drive on a Mac G4
>> tower. I’ve successfully installed 6.4 onto the drive and I can still
>> boot from Tiger, so that’s good. I then copied ofwboot to the Tiger
>> partition (since it’s the first HFS+ partition).
>>
>> I have an Silicon Image 3112-based PCI SATA controller that’s
>> recognized by OF. Unfortunately, I can’t remember how to tell Open
>> Firmware to boot from a SATA drive attached to a PCI controller so I
>> can specify the OpenBSD boot image!
>>
>> Does anyone know how to find out the partition’s location in the
>> device tree so I can boot to BSD? I’m not good with Open Firmware,
>> unfortunately. I’m more of a Classic person, with my Mac usually in
>> OS 9.
>
> You have much greater faith in Apple firmware doing things with
> non-Apple HW than I do. :)
>
> Apple built their firmware to boot MacOS from MacHW, and anything beyond
> that that actually works is more good luck than their intent.  I'm not
> saying it's impossible, it's just not guaranteed. And it might be buggy
> if it does try to work.
>
> I'd suggest just booting off your IDE disk and use your SATA disk as
> non-boot space.  Or perhaps a SATA to IDE adapter and attach it to the
> factory IDE port.
>
> Nick.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: macppc - Booting with a SATA PCI drive

Peter J. Philipp-3
Hi,

in ofw mode you can type printenv and under boot-command line it says on
my box

"mac-boot".  mac-boot (which is a ofw program) allows you to boot into
the mac from openfirmware.  This is overriden by a line called
boot-device: where on my mac it says hd:,ofwboot

hd is a device alias that you can see with devalias command, for example:

ok> devalias

...

uata                /ht/pci@3/ata-6
cd                  /ht/pci@3/ata-6/disk@0
cd1                 /ht/pci@3/ata-6/disk@1
fw                  /ht/pci@3/firewire
enet                /ht/pci@4/ethernet
sata                /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root
k2-sata             /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root
hd                  /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@0/disk@0
ultra0              /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@0/disk@0
sd0                 /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@0/disk@0
ultra1              /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@1/disk@0
sd1                 /ht/pci@5/k2-sata-root/k2-sata@1/disk@0
k2-uata             /ht/pci@3/ata-6
k2-cd               /ht/pci@3/ata-6/disk@0
k2-fw               /ht/pci@3/firewire
k2-enet             /ht/pci@4/ethernet
...


So it lists the paths and for example for "hd" it lists pci sata
controler at disk 0.  You see that ultra0 is the same alias as hd and
sd0, and ultra1 is the same alias as sd1.  They are two different disks.

So if you wanted to boot OpenBSD, you could try boot hd:,ofwboot /bsd at
ofw ok> prompt, or if you wanted the second disk try boot sd1:,ofwboot
/bsd which is the same as boot ultra1:,ofwboot /bsd

If you think you're booting from a disk that you think isn't there you
may have to enter the entire path?

boot /ht/pci@....0:,ofwboot /bsd

Better create an alias for it though make sure you don't clobber any
existing ones and the commands for that is in first mail I sent to you
(second hyperlink).  Google would also be helpful.

I hope this leads you in the right direction?

Regards,

-peter



On 10/27/18 05:29, Katherine Rohl wrote:

> Oh no, the SATA adapter works fine. It’s recognized by Open Firmware and the boot menu lets me select the Tiger install.
>
> What I don’t know is how to *manually* boot it through the Open Firmware console so I can load the OpenBSD boot loader.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 26, 2018, at 8:13 PM, Nick Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 10/25/18 14:51, Katherine Rohl wrote:
>>> I’m trying to run OpenBSD and Tiger on one hard drive on a Mac G4
>>> tower. I’ve successfully installed 6.4 onto the drive and I can still
>>> boot from Tiger, so that’s good. I then copied ofwboot to the Tiger
>>> partition (since it’s the first HFS+ partition).
>>>
>>> I have an Silicon Image 3112-based PCI SATA controller that’s
>>> recognized by OF. Unfortunately, I can’t remember how to tell Open
>>> Firmware to boot from a SATA drive attached to a PCI controller so I
>>> can specify the OpenBSD boot image!
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to find out the partition’s location in the
>>> device tree so I can boot to BSD? I’m not good with Open Firmware,
>>> unfortunately. I’m more of a Classic person, with my Mac usually in
>>> OS 9.
>> You have much greater faith in Apple firmware doing things with
>> non-Apple HW than I do. :)
>>
>> Apple built their firmware to boot MacOS from MacHW, and anything beyond
>> that that actually works is more good luck than their intent.  I'm not
>> saying it's impossible, it's just not guaranteed. And it might be buggy
>> if it does try to work.
>>
>> I'd suggest just booting off your IDE disk and use your SATA disk as
>> non-boot space.  Or perhaps a SATA to IDE adapter and attach it to the
>> factory IDE port.
>>
>> Nick.
>>