mac mini, me, and openbsd

mikesteinfeld
I was able to search the ppc list finally, and saw that a lot of
people are familiar with OpenBSD running very slow on a mini.

I have not installed OpenBSD on a powermac or any other 'new-world' mac.

Is this only a problem with the mini?

In my previous mail I had mentioned it took 5 - 10 seconds to open a
manpage .. that I must say was a bit of exaggeration .. I apologize.

It takes 3 seconds for me to run 'man man'.

Who is actively working to fix this? Or is anyone?

maybe, I will not cut the face off my mini and put an LCD display on
it, like I originally intended, and I will donate it to the sience
institute that I work at, for further testing.

--Mike

Re: mac mini, me, and openbsd

Otto Moerbeek
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, [hidden email] wrote:

> I was able to search the ppc list finally, and saw that a lot of people are
> familiar with OpenBSD running very slow on a mini.
>
> I have not installed OpenBSD on a powermac or any other 'new-world' mac.
>
> Is this only a problem with the mini?
>
> In my previous mail I had mentioned it took 5 - 10 seconds to open a manpage
> .. that I must say was a bit of exaggeration .. I apologize.
>
> It takes 3 seconds for me to run 'man man'.
>
> Who is actively working to fix this? Or is anyone?
>
> maybe, I will not cut the face off my mini and put an LCD display on it, like
> I originally intended, and I will donate it to the sience institute that I
> work at, for further testing.

I know several developers have a mini, but heard no complaints from
them.  I never saw a decent report on the speed of the mini on misc@
or ppc@, only some vague complaints.

I'm using one myself as a primary workstation and it quite fast. In
fact, it is one of the fastest machines I have.

[otto@fonzo:95]$ time man man > /dev/null
    0m0.01s real     0m0.00s user     0m0.01s system

        -Otto

Re: mac mini, me, and openbsd

Joel Rees
On 2006.1.6, at 04:37 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I was able to search the ppc list finally, and saw that a lot of
> people are familiar with OpenBSD running very slow on a mini.

I don't recall anyone that did not have hardware problems having the
speed issues you have. (In fact,, I don't recall anyone having the
speed issues you have. 3 seconds for a man page sounds like you're
running on a 68030 with SCSI problems.) Since you didn't keep asking
about this, I think a lot of us assumed your problem had gone away.

> I have not installed OpenBSD on a powermac or any other 'new-world'
> mac.

Have you installed on old-world (68K) Macs? The first part of the
procedure is completely different.

> Is this only a problem with the mini?

As Otto says, it is not a known problem with a mini in good health.

Things you can do off-line, re-install the Mac OS (maybe in a separate
partition) and see if it runs at a proper speed. Check the speed of man
in the Mac OSX shell, start the built-in apache and access the user's
home page from both inside and outside the box. Install Apple's dev
system and some of the stupid demos like MiSeryOffice and see if they
run. Some good compile of something complex could also be a useful
exercise. Check the speed of the freebie game. Make sure you install
X11 and see how things run in that.

You should see no real speed problems if you have at least 512M RAM. If
you have only 256M, you will see some swapping delays with GUI stuff.
If you don't get decent speed, fairly close to equivalent to what you'd
get with a 1+GHz AMD processor, you have hardware problems -- take it
back and get it fixed. (My first guess would be the hard drive, but
whatever it is, let Apple fix it, especially if it's still under
warranty.)

Also (and maybe first) Apple's test CD might be useful.

Re: mac mini, me, and openbsd

mikesteinfeld
Thanks for all the info from everyone helping...

I have not responded sooner being that I don't have internet access at home until Thursday.

Anyhow,

I should also let you know that the only displays I have are 2/20" Apple cinema displays (the newest).
I have found that ssh'ing into my mini (running now a snapshot as of 1/04/06) there is no problem with speed
of manpages, directory creation, decompressing whatsoever ... While decompressing src.tar.gz and watching CPU utilization
via 'top' the highest I saw was 6% .... sound about right I suspect.

Here is the culprit...

My Apple cinema display plugged directly into my mini via DVI ( NOTE: I have not installed X11 )
when decompressing src.tar.gz utilizes 98% of the CPU ...I have not tried testing other applications being that I detected this to be the problem...

I have figured out that for some odd reason using my apple display and openbsd on the mini, the CPU is getting hammered

But, I do plan on bringing it to work today and trying a different display and seeing what we can come up with ...
I apologize for pointing the finger at "OpenBSD is so slow on the mini" ... I should now digress and say, "My Mac mini has OpenBSD installed on it, but when I use My Apple Cinema Display, it runs super slow!"

Again ..

Thanks,
--mike