lynx: disable old protocols

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lynx: disable old protocols

Kamil Andrusz-2
On 19 lip 2014, at 15:25, Doug Hogan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 12:28:17PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> Personally I remember a few nearby mirror URLs, but I do think this could
>> be improved - we could add a sample pkg.conf file to /etc/examples with
>> a list of mirrors updated from mirrors.dat. Unless there are objections to
>> that idea, I'll look at modifying the scripts for this.
>
> This addresses the list of package mirrors.  What about the list of anoncvs
> mirrors?  That's the other task I would sometimes use lynx for.  If I'm
> installing on a machine in a different location, I'd like to use a closer
> mirror than the ones I memorized.

Having the possibility to install packages you can install lynx, links or whatever text
mode browser you prefer.

Regards,
Kamil
--
It's just a matter of opinion.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lynx: disable old protocols

Ville Valkonen
In reply to this post by Bob Beck-2
Thank you Bob and Stuart for the answers.

What Bob proposes is a bit cumbersome since it involves remembering
the full URL path.

Stuart's suggestion really addresses the problem I'm experiencing. I
admit there's only a bunch of cases where I haven't had my laptop
within me, or no nearby computer with a monitor and a working network
connection. Thanks for looking into this.

--
Thanks a munch,
Ville

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 12:28:17PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> Personally I remember a few nearby mirror URLs, but I do think this could
> be improved - we could add a sample pkg.conf file to /etc/examples with
> a list of mirrors updated from mirrors.dat. Unless there are objections to
> that idea, I'll look at modifying the scripts for this.

On 19 July 2014 01:36, Bob Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ftp -o - http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/ftplist | some
> script, or maybe your eyes and pick one.
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Ville Valkonen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 17 July 2014 00:10, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 2014/07/16 16:00, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
>>>> Oh come on... It's not like the URLs are some giant uuid-based madness
>>>> or something. All the mirrors have the same simple layout. If you install
>>>> lots of boxes regularly, it doesn't take long to memorize the name of
>>>> your closest mirror. If you don't install lots of stuff, then just set
>>>> installpath in your pkg.conf and forget about it.
>>>
>>> If you choose your mirror from the list in the installer, this is already
>>> set automatically in pkg.conf.
>>
>> Hello Stuart,
>>
>> what would you suggest for situations where installXX.iso is burned to
>> a CD to avoid downloading sets from the net due a slow Internet
>> connection? When sets are installed from the CD it doesn't set
>> PKG_PATH. I couldn't find any mirror list from the ISO image by
>> grepping.
>>
>> Previously I've used lynx to navigate on the project's website and
>> copy&paste mirror URL with tmux.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ville
>>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lynx: disable old protocols

Renzo Fabriek-2
Hmm.. as often I wondered what I should do. This one is so simple that I had to say it.

I came up with "ftp http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html"
And then cat the file. It gives a fairly readable list. Then there is only one easy URL to remember.

gr
Renzo

> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 11:48:45 +0300
> Subject: Re: lynx: disable old protocols
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>
> Thank you Bob and Stuart for the answers.
>
> What Bob proposes is a bit cumbersome since it involves remembering
> the full URL path.
>
> Stuart's suggestion really addresses the problem I'm experiencing. I
> admit there's only a bunch of cases where I haven't had my laptop
> within me, or no nearby computer with a monitor and a working network
> connection. Thanks for looking into this.
>
> --
> Thanks a munch,
> Ville
>
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 12:28:17PM +0100, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > Personally I remember a few nearby mirror URLs, but I do think this could
> > be improved - we could add a sample pkg.conf file to /etc/examples with
> > a list of mirrors updated from mirrors.dat. Unless there are objections to
> > that idea, I'll look at modifying the scripts for this.
>
> On 19 July 2014 01:36, Bob Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ftp -o - http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/ftplist | some
> > script, or maybe your eyes and pick one.
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Ville Valkonen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> On 17 July 2014 00:10, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>> On 2014/07/16 16:00, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> >>>> Oh come on... It's not like the URLs are some giant uuid-based madness
> >>>> or something. All the mirrors have the same simple layout. If you install
> >>>> lots of boxes regularly, it doesn't take long to memorize the name of
> >>>> your closest mirror. If you don't install lots of stuff, then just set
> >>>> installpath in your pkg.conf and forget about it.
> >>>
> >>> If you choose your mirror from the list in the installer, this is already
> >>> set automatically in pkg.conf.
> >>
> >> Hello Stuart,
> >>
> >> what would you suggest for situations where installXX.iso is burned to
> >> a CD to avoid downloading sets from the net due a slow Internet
> >> connection? When sets are installed from the CD it doesn't set
> >> PKG_PATH. I couldn't find any mirror list from the ISO image by
> >> grepping.
> >>
> >> Previously I've used lynx to navigate on the project's website and
> >> copy&paste mirror URL with tmux.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Ville
> >>
>
     
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: lynx: disable old protocols

Gilbert Sanford
On 2014-07-11 at 8:57:16 Theo de Raadt wrote:

> Daniel is doing the right thing.  Fully loaded lynx can be in the ports tree
> too, and we can keep track of the download statistics to see both users who
> download it every year...

Dear Theo,

Please permit me the distinct pleasure of saving you the trouble of
tracking one user, me, a man from Alabama with a sense of humor and
a little (not a lot!) common sense to go along with it.  I downloaded
the port tree and installed lynx yesterday (July 19) with the utmost
haste, for I feared that lynx might have just met its untimely end for
good in spite of the fanfare and hoopla on the tech list.  So I offer
my confession in full below, if you care to follow along.  (Spoiler:
the confession below is only a light-hearted attempt at levity from a
simple fellow that doesn't mind having a little fun at his own
expense :-)

I had unsubscribed from the various lists on July 5 thinking that I
needed to unplug a little from the world at large.  (I know, I could
have just suspended mail for a couple of weeks or so with majordomo.)
In the meantime, I was mildly perturbed that my clock was off
several hours (funny, there's a faq about that...,) because I had
installed a Samsung EVO 840 SSD with OpenBSD exclusively (time is
good) and I had to re-install the old drive, because I had a file
on either LinuxMint or Windows 8.1 (triple boot with OpenBSD) that
I needed for my business.  Well, sir, when I put my SSD back in
and booted up, the clock is off: 5 hours to be exact.  Sure, I can
config the kernel with "timezone 300" or I can just mentally add 5
hours to the clock every time I look at tmux.  Or, better yet, I'll
just reinstall from scratch.  That's a great idea.

I downloaded the July 18 snapshot sets early Saturday morning (19th)
and booted up.  I ran sysmerge.  Some changes.  Cool.  I usually
install the files from sysmerge and vi my little changes manually.
Minimal interference with perfection and so forth.  I get this
annoying beep while in vi, and of course, I know to head right over
to /etc/wsconsctl.conf and uncomment keyboard.bell.volume=0.  Can't
stand the beep (or flashing screen) you know.  Guess what?  Where's
the wsconsctl.conf file?  Supposed to be in /etc.  I must have a
defective installation or something.  I say to myself, "So fire up
lynx and head right on back to OpenBSD.org to check SHA256 sigs.  I
know it can't be something on OpenBSD's side of the fence."  You all
know what's coming don't you?  I mean, if this ain't funny, I don't
know what is!  I get "ksh: lynx: not found" !!!  Maybe I didn't type
that correctly.  So I try it two more times.  (hahahahaha, talk about
hard-headed Alabama users.)  "ksh: lynx: not found"  I just can't
believe it.  You all are gonna love this.  I grab my cell phone and
check current.html, but I don't really see anything related to lynx.
I then cut over to snapshots, and, Behold!, a brand new batch of
sets dated July 19!!  That's my ticket for sure...just had a funky
snapshot from the 18th.  It happens every once in a while.  Maybe...

I do another FRESH install with the bestest and freshest sets direct
from Canada, baby.  On the Samsung SSD, this takes mere seconds.  I
boot up, and, shazam! no lynx.  I slowly realize that there's
absolutely nothing wrong with my installation, not from the July 18
sets nor from the July 19 sets.  I take off to MARC, and in 5 minutes
I'm reading this topic "lynx: disable old protocols."  For a while,
things look favorable for lynx to stay in base.  I sure hope so,
but, hey, lynx ain't here now!  My heart's beating faster with every
"next in thread."  Then theo@ steps in:

> Daniel is doing the right thing.  Fully loaded lynx can be in the ports tree
> too, and we can keep track of the download statistics to see both users who
> download it every year...

Sure, Daniel's doing the right thing.  We're just removing crusty old
protocols.  Surely lynx will stay in base, after all, right?!  Theo
said "fully loaded lynx can be in the ports tree *too*... But what does
Theo mean about "both users who download it every year"?  Then this:

> If lynx was removed from base, and only available in ports... how many of
> you would even know of it's existance and use it?

Yes folks, I continued on with my reading, noticing a few others who
used lynx regularly, knowing that the worst was to come.  I blinked
back the tears at the idea of life without lynx.  Why, for years,
I had thought that OpenBSD's web site was optimized just for us lynx
users.  (Tell me you didn't laugh at that.)  Lynx was in base,
carefully audited, and ready for anything I could throw at it.  And I
did.  Lynx will slurp in the entire mysql documentation as one file
and let  me search with absolute confidence and alacrity.  Firefox?
core dump every time, baby.  I don't know about gopher, or those other
protocols (that is, I don't use them,) but the web or files on
localhost?  Absolutely, lynx is where it's at! or, where it's been ...
For seven years, I've been surfing the textual net (in Advance User
mode, of course, like any other self-respecting OpenBSD Power User)
with the greatest dexterity and efficiency, because I can turn VI keys
ON!  Sure, I can use firefox and chrome, but where's VI mode?

So I unabashedly confess, I grabbed lynx from ports, ran make install,
and typed in lynx at the shell and got...

"Lynx file "/etc/lynx.lss" is not available."

Yup, you guessed it.  /usr/bin/sudo find / -name 'lynx.lss', and, lo,
it's in /usr/local/share/examples/lynx.  Yeah, baby, I'm close to
OpenBSD nirvana now.  I copy that lynx style sheet (no, I didn't
look at it--what's a lynx style sheet?) over to /etc and voila! lynx
fires up...in funny colors... Do you know how long it took me to get
my little lynx.cfg file just so?  with the colors set so the loaded
page would match my man page look in xterm? Nothing hellish either.
I'm talking sophisticated inconsolata-font in cool,soothing green2
on black xterm with brightred underline, brightcyan links, and yellow
active...oh, stop the drooling now.  I'll share my config if you
really want it :) After a little reading, however... ah yes, we delete
the offending lynx.lss file, then '/usr/bin/sudo touch /etc/lynx.lss'
and finally, our familiar friend lynx lights up the comforting page
we've all known and loved, www.openbsd.org, in all its former
lynxified glory.

Moral of the story?  Keep up with the mailing lists.  Fwiw, too,
why can't folks treat the OpenBSD team with respect and admiration?
I burnt a few Mb's of precious Verizon bandwidth to watch part of an
interview with Theo, and my thought was initially, (and I hope you
don't take offense :) Theo, you looked tired.  Tired of ignorance.
Tired of apathy.  Tired of insane, meaningless interview questions.
Tired of ingratitude.  Tired of fighting the good fight for rightness
in system development.  I know a little something about being on a
level where no one else really thrives.  You guys are my "social
network," 'cause no one around me has the slightest idea of what's
in my head.  They just say I'm a little scary in the brain department.

I wish all of you the absolute best.  You're the best of the best.  I
know of no other operating system (or mailing list) like this one.  I
hope to enjoy it for many more years (I'm 52 now, and didn't really
get into computing until late even though I was a math major who
completed his Bachelor's Degree in Biblical Studies, but that's
another story.)  We use OpenBSD at my work (commercial food
equipment sales & service) for website and our inventory system,
written by yours truly.  I'm gearing up to work up a dispatch and
equipment system, but I'm the General Manager, and I have so many
other things on my plate.  So I don't have a lot of time for hacking,
but I know I'll put OpenBSD to work in a lot more ways.  Good stuff.
Really.

By now, you surely know I wasn't whining about lynx.  Hope you enjoyed
my story-telling.  I think henning@ looks for stories about OpenBSD
from time to time.  Maybe he'll like one of mine some day.

Gilbert

--
They say computers never lie, but I'd never trust a computer. Would you?

1234