like the faq 14.16.1, partition is not in my disklabel ... need help anyway

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

like the faq 14.16.1, partition is not in my disklabel ... need help anyway

Didier Wiroth
Hello,
My ntfs amd comaq diag. partition is not in the disklabel.
Unfortunately I don't know how to add correctly in the disklabel.
I've read the faq 14.16.1 but it only shows a modification.

Here is my fdisk output, which shows id 0 the ntfs partition:

Disk: wd0       geometry: 12921/240/63 [195365520 Sectors]
Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
         Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
 #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*0: 07    0   1  1 - 6800 239 63 [          63:   102831057 ] HPFS/QNX/AUX
 1: 12 12270   0  1 - 12920 239 63 [   185522400:     9843120 ] Compaq Diag.
 2: A6 6801   0  1 - 12269 239 63 [   102831120:    82691280 ] OpenBSD
 3: 00    0   0  0 -    0   0  0 [           0:           0 ] unused

Here is current my disklabel:
16 partitions:
#             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  a:       2097648     102831120  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 102015 -104095
  b:       1024128     104928768    swap                   # Cyl 104096 -105111
  c:     195371568             0  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0 -193820
  d:       4194288     105952896  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 105112 -109272
  e:       1024128     110147184  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 109273 -110288
  f:       4194288     111171312  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 110289 -114449
  g:      10486224     115365600  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 114450 -124852
  h:       4194288     125851824  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 124853 -129013
  i:       2097648     130046112  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 129014 -131094
  j:       3072384     132143760  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 131095 -134142
  k:      50306256     135216144  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 134143 -184049


What do I have to add to disklabel to be able to access the ntfs and the compaq diag partition?

For ntfs something like:
l: 102831057 63 unknown     # Cyl ???????????

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you very much !

Kind regards
Didier

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: like the faq 14.16.1, partition is not in my disklabel ... need help anyway

Joachim Schipper
On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:31:59PM +0000, Didier Wiroth wrote:

> Hello,
> My ntfs amd comaq diag. partition is not in the disklabel.
> Unfortunately I don't know how to add correctly in the disklabel.
> I've read the faq 14.16.1 but it only shows a modification.
>
> Here is my fdisk output, which shows id 0 the ntfs partition:
>
> Disk: wd0       geometry: 12921/240/63 [195365520 Sectors]
> Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
>          Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
>  #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *0: 07    0   1  1 - 6800 239 63 [          63:   102831057 ] HPFS/QNX/AUX
>  1: 12 12270   0  1 - 12920 239 63 [   185522400:     9843120 ] Compaq Diag.
>  2: A6 6801   0  1 - 12269 239 63 [   102831120:    82691280 ] OpenBSD
>  3: 00    0   0  0 -    0   0  0 [           0:           0 ] unused
>
> Here is current my disklabel:
> 16 partitions:
> #             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
>   a:       2097648     102831120  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 102015 -104095
>   b:       1024128     104928768    swap                   # Cyl 104096 -105111
>   c:     195371568             0  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0 -193820
>   d:       4194288     105952896  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 105112 -109272
>   e:       1024128     110147184  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 109273 -110288
>   f:       4194288     111171312  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 110289 -114449
>   g:      10486224     115365600  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 114450 -124852
>   h:       4194288     125851824  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 124853 -129013
>   i:       2097648     130046112  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 129014 -131094
>   j:       3072384     132143760  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 131095 -134142
>   k:      50306256     135216144  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 134143 -184049
>
>
> What do I have to add to disklabel to be able to access the ntfs and the compaq diag partition?
>
> For ntfs something like:
> l: 102831057 63 unknown     # Cyl ???????????
>
> I would really appreciate some help.
>
> Thank you very much !

Some noteworthy points:
        1. Looks like you ran out of space in the disklabel (or in the
device namespace, or whatever): don't define this many disklabel slices
if you want to see the other partitions (which are typically numbered
from i). [I'm not 100% sure I'm correct here; please flame me, with the
correct answer if possible, if this is not the case.]
        2. NTFS is not supported in GENERIC. This usually means the
implementation isn't really ready for prime time yet; you could build a
custom kernel, if you know what you are doing and have read most, if not
all, of FAQ 5.*.
        3. I don't know what you want to do with the Compaq diag
partition, but it might not be too useful.

                Joachim

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: like the faq 14.16.1, partition is not in my disklabel ... need help anyway

Tony Aberenthy
Joachim Schipper wrote:

>
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:31:59PM +0000, Didier Wiroth wrote:
> > Hello,
> > My ntfs amd comaq diag. partition is not in the disklabel.
> > Unfortunately I don't know how to add correctly in the disklabel.
> > I've read the faq 14.16.1 but it only shows a modification.
> >
> > Here is my fdisk output, which shows id 0 the ntfs partition:
> >
> > Disk: wd0       geometry: 12921/240/63 [195365520 Sectors]
> > Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
> >          Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
> >  #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > *0: 07    0   1  1 - 6800 239 63 [          63:   102831057 ]
> HPFS/QNX/AUX
> >  1: 12 12270   0  1 - 12920 239 63 [   185522400:     9843120 ]
> Compaq Diag.
> >  2: A6 6801   0  1 - 12269 239 63 [   102831120:    82691280 ] OpenBSD
> >  3: 00    0   0  0 -    0   0  0 [           0:           0 ] unused
> >
> > Here is current my disklabel:
> > 16 partitions:
> > #             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
> >   a:       2097648     102831120  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 102015 -104095
> >   b:       1024128     104928768    swap                   #
> Cyl 104096 -105111
> >   c:     195371568             0  unused      0     0      #
> Cyl     0 -193820
> >   d:       4194288     105952896  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 105112 -109272
> >   e:       1024128     110147184  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 109273 -110288
> >   f:       4194288     111171312  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 110289 -114449
> >   g:      10486224     115365600  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 114450 -124852
> >   h:       4194288     125851824  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 124853 -129013
> >   i:       2097648     130046112  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 129014 -131094
> >   j:       3072384     132143760  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 131095 -134142
> >   k:      50306256     135216144  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 #
> Cyl 134143 -184049
> >
> >
> > What do I have to add to disklabel to be able to access the
> ntfs and the compaq diag partition?
> >
> > For ntfs something like:
> > l: 102831057 63 unknown     # Cyl ???????????
> >
> > I would really appreciate some help.
> >
> > Thank you very much !
>
> Some noteworthy points:
> 1. Looks like you ran out of space in the disklabel (or in the
> device namespace, or whatever): don't define this many disklabel slices
> if you want to see the other partitions (which are typically numbered
> from i). [I'm not 100% sure I'm correct here; please flame me, with the
> correct answer if possible, if this is not the case.]
16 partitions. That's a through p inclusive.
(also referred to as 15 partitions (excluding c))

> 2. NTFS is not supported in GENERIC. This usually means the
> implementation isn't really ready for prime time yet; you could build a
> custom kernel, if you know what you are doing and have read most, if not
> all, of FAQ 5.*.
There are screweys, particularly on writitng.
I think Windows gets burned occasionally.

> 3. I don't know what you want to do with the Compaq diag
> partition, but it might not be too useful.
I think it's an msdos partition
Called something different to keep Windows out of it.
Flames invited if I guessed wrong.

>
> Joachim

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: like the faq 14.16.1, partition is not in my disklabel ... need help anyway

Nick Holland
In reply to this post by Joachim Schipper
Joachim Schipper wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:31:59PM +0000, Didier Wiroth wrote:
>> Hello,
>> My ntfs amd comaq diag. partition is not in the disklabel.

I presume this means you deleted them, and now want 'em back.  As they
appear to have been there before the OpenBSD install, I'd have expected
them to be in your disklabel.  Wait a minute...how'd you get the compaq
partition THERE???  (ok, that's way OT).

>> Unfortunately I don't know how to add correctly in the disklabel.
>> I've read the faq 14.16.1 but it only shows a modification.
>>
>> Here is my fdisk output, which shows id 0 the ntfs partition:
>>
>> Disk: wd0       geometry: 12921/240/63 [195365520 Sectors]
>> Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
>>          Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
>>  #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> *0: 07    0   1  1 - 6800 239 63 [          63:   102831057 ] HPFS/QNX/AUX
>>  1: 12 12270   0  1 - 12920 239 63 [   185522400:     9843120 ] Compaq Diag.
>>  2: A6 6801   0  1 - 12269 239 63 [   102831120:    82691280 ] OpenBSD
>>  3: 00    0   0  0 -    0   0  0 [           0:           0 ] unused
>>
>> Here is current my disklabel:
>> 16 partitions:
>> #             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
>>   a:       2097648     102831120  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 102015 -104095
>>   b:       1024128     104928768    swap                   # Cyl 104096 -105111
>>   c:     195371568             0  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0 -193820
>>   d:       4194288     105952896  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 105112 -109272
>>   e:       1024128     110147184  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 109273 -110288
>>   f:       4194288     111171312  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 110289 -114449
>>   g:      10486224     115365600  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 114450 -124852
>>   h:       4194288     125851824  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 124853 -129013
>>   i:       2097648     130046112  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 129014 -131094
>>   j:       3072384     132143760  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 131095 -134142
>>   k:      50306256     135216144  4.2BSD   2048 16384  328 # Cyl 134143 -184049
>>
>>
>> What do I have to add to disklabel to be able to access the ntfs and the compaq diag partition?
>>
>> For ntfs something like:
>> l: 102831057 63 unknown     # Cyl ???????????
>>
>> I would really appreciate some help.

with what? You got it right there!  Do disklabel -E, you won't have to
worry about the cyl part. :)
You probably want type to be "ntfs".

>>
>> Thank you very much !
>
> Some noteworthy points:
> 1. Looks like you ran out of space in the disklabel (or in the
> device namespace, or whatever): don't define this many disklabel slices
> if you want to see the other partitions (which are typically numbered
> from i). [I'm not 100% sure I'm correct here; please flame me, with the
> correct answer if possible, if this is not the case.]

Grabbing the marshmallows and a stick here...
Yes, non-OpenBSD partitions which are recognized at install time are
typically listed as partitions "i" and up, but there is NOTHING sacred
about this.  "a", "b" and "c" are sacred..don't misuse them.  "d"
through "p" can be used however you wish.  Make "d" DOS.  Make "p" your
/usr partition.  Whatever.

consider yourself flamed. :)

> 2. NTFS is not supported in GENERIC. This usually means the
> implementation isn't really ready for prime time yet; you could build a
> custom kernel, if you know what you are doing and have read most, if not
> all, of FAQ 5.*.

right.  "man -k ntfs"

> 3. I don't know what you want to do with the Compaq diag
> partition, but it might not be too useful.

agreed.
If you aren't planning on USING a partition, don't bother putting it in
disklabel.  On the other hand, might be fun to find what is in that
compaq partition.  (no idea why, but I've never looked closely.  Just a
mislabeled msdos partiton, as I recall).

Nick.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: like the faq 14.16.1, partition is not in my disklabel ... need help anyway

Rakhesh Sasidharan-3
In reply to this post by Didier Wiroth
> Disk: wd0       geometry: 12921/240/63 [195365520 Sectors]
> Offset: 0       Signature: 0xAA55
>          Starting       Ending       LBA Info:
>  #: id    C   H  S -    C   H  S [       start:      size   ]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> *0: 07    0   1  1 - 6800 239 63 [          63:   102831057 ] HPFS/QNX/AUX
>  1: 12 12270   0  1 - 12920 239 63 [   185522400:     9843120 ] Compaq Diag.
>  2: A6 6801   0  1 - 12269 239 63 [   102831120:    82691280 ] OpenBSD
>  3: 00    0   0  0 -    0   0  0 [           0:           0 ] unused

Yup, for NTFS you'll have to add an entry like this:

--> l: 102831057 63 NTFS

Then you should be able to mount it:

--> mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/wd0l /path/to/mount

Mount read-only coz read-write is still experimental. If you want
read-write, my understanding is that you must enable that option in
the kernel and recompile. Then you can remove the "-o ro" above and
mount read-write.

The Compaq Diag partition must be FAT32 I assume. If yes, you can add
an entry like this:

--> m: 9843120 185522400 MSDOS

Then mount:

--> mount -o ro /dev/wd0m /path/to/mount

If its not FAT32, then u'll get some error messages I guess. (The
reason I mount read-only above is as a precaution in case the file
system isn't FAT32 and we dont want it getting corrupted. Not sure if
that's necessary, I just do things that way. Once you are sure its
FAT32, you can omit to "-o ro").

Hope that helps.
Rakhesh

--
        NetBSD/i386 3.0 + pkgsrc-current | OpenBSD/i386 3.9
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.netbsd.* (netbsd archives)
        http://search.gmane.org/?query=&group=gmane.os.openbsd.* (openbsd archives)
        http://man.netbsd.org/ | http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi (manpages)