lang/mono

Christian Weisgerber
What are we going to do with lang/mono?

During amd64 bulk builds, it typically fails with random crashes
when there are other build jobs on the same machine.  If the machine
is quiescent except for the mono build, it succeeds.

If you have been following the package snapshots, you may have
noticed that mono has mostly been missing because I didn't bother
to manually rebuild it.  I thought this might encourage people to
look into the problem, but apparently not.

The situation on i386 is similar, except that sthen@ has been more
willing to retry the mono build again and again until it succeeds.

Re: lang/mono

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:27:08PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> What are we going to do with lang/mono?
>
> During amd64 bulk builds, it typically fails with random crashes
> when there are other build jobs on the same machine.  If the machine
> is quiescent except for the mono build, it succeeds.

Yes, it's been going on for bout a year on exopi but I've been told repeatedly that it was a "local" issue or a virtualisation problem.
I've reported it several times... and I've been babysitting my bulks ever since.

> If you have been following the package snapshots, you may have
> noticed that mono has mostly been missing because I didn't bother
> to manually rebuild it.  I thought this might encourage people to
> look into the problem, but apparently not.

Again, a year...

> The situation on i386 is similar, except that sthen@ has been more
> willing to retry the mono build again and again until it succeeds.

Looks like Stuart and I are on the same page on this one.

Antoine

Re: lang/mono

Robert Nagy
On (2016-07-13 01:38), Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 10:27:08PM +0200, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > What are we going to do with lang/mono?
> >
> > During amd64 bulk builds, it typically fails with random crashes
> > when there are other build jobs on the same machine.  If the machine
> > is quiescent except for the mono build, it succeeds.

Yeah that is exactly what Antoine is seeing as well. We have a core
but I was not able to fix the issue, I am sorry about it but I just
can't find what's wrong. Can we have a dpb property in the port
to move it to the very end of the build queue, so it builds last
alone or just make sure that even if it builds in the middle of the
bulk, nothing else gets build in the meantime?

Re: lang/mono

On 2016/07/12 22:27, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> The situation on i386 is similar, except that sthen@ has been more
> willing to retry the mono build again and again until it succeeds.

mono itself doesn't fail all that often on i386, I have more problems
with things that depend on it - java is the main problem on i386.