keyboard encoding

Tony Berth
I have in 4.3 with a default US keyboard.

When I set wsconsctl keyboard.encoding=de in order to get a German one,
nothing happens! I get following reply:

keyboard.encoding -> de

but my keyboard is still on the US charset!

What do I miss?

Thanks fot your help

Tony

Re: keyboard encoding

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:22:37PM +0200, Tony Berth wrote:
>I have in 4.3 with a default US keyboard.

>When I set wsconsctl keyboard.encoding=de in order to get a German one,
>nothing happens! I get following reply:

>keyboard.encoding -> de

>but my keyboard is still on the US charset!

>What do I miss?

Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.

- keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
  /etc/wsconsctl.conf)
- The keyboard doesn't work at all in the kernel (e.g. boot -a -> no
  way to continue) It works before, i.e. up to and including the boot>
  prompt, and then again when init starts.

This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: keyboard encoding

Louis V. Lambrecht-3
Hannah Schroeter wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:22:37PM +0200, Tony Berth wrote:
>
>> I have in 4.3 with a default US keyboard.
>>

>> When I set wsconsctl keyboard.encoding=de in order to get a German one,
>> nothing happens! I get following reply:
>>

>> keyboard.encoding -> de
>>

>> but my keyboard is still on the US charset!
>>

>> What do I miss?
>>

> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.
>
> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
>   /etc/wsconsctl.conf)
> - The keyboard doesn't work at all in the kernel (e.g. boot -a -> no
>   way to continue) It works before, i.e. up to and including the boot>
>   prompt, and then again when init starts.
>
> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hannah.

wsconsctl (8) man sez
/etc/wsconsctl.conf                 a list of parameters that get set at
                                         system startup time from rc(8)

startup time: reboot?

Re: keyboard encoding

Giancarlo Razzolini
Louis V. Lambrecht escreveu:

> Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:22:37PM +0200, Tony Berth wrote:
>>
>>> I have in 4.3 with a default US keyboard.
>>>

>>> When I set wsconsctl keyboard.encoding=de in order to get a German one,
>>> nothing happens! I get following reply:
>>>

>>> keyboard.encoding -> de
>>>

>>> but my keyboard is still on the US charset!
>>>

>>> What do I miss?
>>>

>> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.
>>
>> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
>>   /etc/wsconsctl.conf)
>> - The keyboard doesn't work at all in the kernel (e.g. boot -a -> no
>>   way to continue) It works before, i.e. up to and including the boot>
>>   prompt, and then again when init starts.
>>
>> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Hannah.
>>

> wsconsctl (8) man sez
> /etc/wsconsctl.conf                 a list of parameters that get set at
>                                         system startup time from rc(8)
>
> startup time: reboot?

There is no need to reboot:

KBD(8)                  OpenBSD System Manager's Manual
KBD(8)

NAME
     kbd - set national keyboard translation

SYNOPSIS
     kbd -l
     kbd [-q] name

DESCRIPTION
     kbd is used to change the keyboard encoding.  The execution of kbd nor-
     mally occurs in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc
to set
     a national keyboard layout.

     If called as kbd -l, all available keyboard encodings are listed.

     If called as kbd name, the keyboard encoding will be set to name and a
     short message will be printed to stdout.  If the -q flag is
present, kbd
     will be quiet unless an error occurs.

OpenBSD 4.3                      May 31,
2007                                1

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
http://lock.razzolini.adm.br
4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

Re: keyboard encoding

Tony Berth
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Louis V. Lambrecht <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 04:22:37PM +0200, Tony Berth wrote:
>>

>>> I have in 4.3 with a default US keyboard.
>>>

>>> When I set wsconsctl keyboard.encoding=de in order to get a German one,
>>> nothing happens! I get following reply:
>>>

>>> keyboard.encoding -> de
>>>

>>> but my keyboard is still on the US charset!
>>>

>>> What do I miss?
>>>

>> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.
>>
>> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
>>  /etc/wsconsctl.conf)
>> - The keyboard doesn't work at all in the kernel (e.g. boot -a -> no
>>  way to continue) It works before, i.e. up to and including the boot>
>>  prompt, and then again when init starts.
>>
>> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Hannah.
>>

> wsconsctl (8) man sez
> /etc/wsconsctl.conf                 a list of parameters that get set at
>                                        system startup time from rc(8)
>
> startup time: reboot?

its not a USB keyboard and the keyboard works very well at any give time. Of
course a US one!

I didn't reboot cause I wanted to have the change temporarily in a give
session! I think that this is possible?

Thanks

Tony

Re: keyboard encoding

Tony Berth
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Louis V. Lambrecht escreveu:
> > Hannah Schroeter wrote:
> >> Hi!

> >> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.
> >>
> >> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
> >>   /etc/wsconsctl.conf)
> >> - The keyboard doesn't work at all in the kernel (e.g. boot -a -> no
> >>   way to continue) It works before, i.e. up to and including the boot>
> >>   prompt, and then again when init starts.
> >>
> >> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.
> >>
> >> Kind regards,
> >>
> >> Hannah.
> >>

> > wsconsctl (8) man sez
> > /etc/wsconsctl.conf                 a list of parameters that get set at
> >                                         system startup time from rc(8)
> >
> > startup time: reboot?
> >

> There is no need to reboot:
>
> KBD(8)                  OpenBSD System Manager's Manual
> KBD(8)
>
> NAME
>     kbd - set national keyboard translation
>
> SYNOPSIS
>     kbd -l
>     kbd [-q] name
>
> DESCRIPTION
>     kbd is used to change the keyboard encoding.  The execution of kbd nor-
>     mally occurs in the system multi-user initialization file /etc/rc
> to set
>     a national keyboard layout.
>
>     If called as kbd -l, all available keyboard encodings are listed.
>
>     If called as kbd name, the keyboard encoding will be set to name and a
>     short message will be printed to stdout.  If the -q flag is
> present, kbd
>     will be quiet unless an error occurs.
>
> OpenBSD 4.3                      May 31,
> 2007                                1
>

> --
> Giancarlo Razzolini
> http://lock.razzolini.adm.br
> Linux User 172199
> Red Hat Certified Engineer no:804006389722501
> Verify:https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/current/
> Moleque Sem Conteudo Numero #002
> OpenBSD Stable
> Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
> 4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

tried that too before wsconsctl but the same effect! I get a message saying
that chande to 'de' encoding but when trying in the keyboard, the US layout
still applies!

I have to say that I'm via ssh/xterm to the box. I don't know if this makes
a difference?

Thanks

Re: keyboard encoding [not worth reading sorry]

John Wright-6

hehe. (-:

John Wright escreveu:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 05:24:10PM +0200, Tony Berth wrote:
>
>> I have to say that I'm via ssh/xterm to the box. I don't know if this makes
>> a difference?
>>

> hehe. (-:

hahahahahahah...

Tony, when you are sshing to a machine, the keyboard encoding that is
used NEVER is the one that's in use in the ssh server. The machine you
are using to access the OpenBSD machine is the one you must be changing
the keyboard layout.

My regards,

--
Giancarlo Razzolini
http://lock.razzolini.adm.br
Linux User 172199
Red Hat Certified Engineer no:804006389722501
Verify:https://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/current/
Moleque Sem Conteudo Numero #002
OpenBSD Stable
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron
4386 2A6F FFD4 4D5F 5842  6EA0 7ABE BBAB 9C0E 6B85

Re: keyboard encoding

Christian Weisgerber
Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.
>
> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
>   /etc/wsconsctl.conf)

These settings only affect the _first_ keyboard in the system
(wskbd0).  Unfortunately, for a PC that is usually the PS/2 keyboard,
even if none is plugged in.

> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.

But it still has a PS/2 keyboard controller.  Check your dmesg.  It
probably includes something like this:

pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0

Re: keyboard encoding

Ted Unangst-2
On 7/28/08, Tony Berth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have in 4.3 with a default US keyboard.
>
>  When I set wsconsctl keyboard.encoding=de in order to get a German one,
>  nothing happens! I get following reply:
>
>  keyboard.encoding -> de
>
>  but my keyboard is still on the US charset!

Are you using X?  I had a much easier time using xmodmap to make my
buttons do what I wanted.

Re: keyboard encoding

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:30:35PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.

>> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
>>   /etc/wsconsctl.conf)

>These settings only affect the _first_ keyboard in the system
>(wskbd0).  Unfortunately, for a PC that is usually the PS/2 keyboard,
>even if none is plugged in.

>> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.

>But it still has a PS/2 keyboard controller.  Check your dmesg.  It
>probably includes something like this:

>pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
>pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
>pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
>wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0

You're right:

$ grep pckb /var/run/dmesg.boot
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
$

That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
mapping of secondary keyboards at all.

(And btw, in X11, somehow the setup of the keyboard mapping from
/etc/X11/xorg.conf is delayed, since about mid-December 2007. Before,
the mapping from there, and from a few xmodmap settings loaded in
.xinitrc, took effect immediately when X was up from startx, now it
takes quite some time, perhaps half a minute or so, for them to take
effect. Related to X11 privsep changes? Later changes using setxkbmap
take effect immediately, btw.)

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: keyboard encoding

Mats O Jansson
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 07:30:35PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Is your keyboard an USB one? I observe the same with an USB keyboard.
>
>>> - keyboard.encoding=us.swapctrlcaps has no effect (in
>>>   /etc/wsconsctl.conf)
>
>> These settings only affect the _first_ keyboard in the system
>> (wskbd0).  Unfortunately, for a PC that is usually the PS/2 keyboard,
>> even if none is plugged in.
>
>>> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.
>
>> But it still has a PS/2 keyboard controller.  Check your dmesg.  It
>> probably includes something like this:
>
>> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
>> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
>> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
>> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
>
> You're right:
>
> $ grep pckb /var/run/dmesg.boot
> pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
> pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
> pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
> wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
> $
>
> That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
> mapping of secondary keyboards at all.

Thats not correct.

/sbin/kbd will change keyboard settings on ALL keyboards that has
support for the requested keyboard map.

wsconsctl has -f which allows you select which keyboard you are applying
the change to. For keyboard operations /dev/wskbd0 is default if not
specified.

read the man page!

> (And btw, in X11, somehow the setup of the keyboard mapping from
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is delayed, since about mid-December 2007. Before,
> the mapping from there, and from a few xmodmap settings loaded in
> .xinitrc, took effect immediately when X was up from startx, now it
> takes quite some time, perhaps half a minute or so, for them to take
> effect. Related to X11 privsep changes? Later changes using setxkbmap
> take effect immediately, btw.)

It will always take the mapping from xorg.conf if it is defined there.
If no keyboard language is specified X11 will now make a guess depending
on which keyboard layout wscons has. But since X11 is reading the keyboard
raw any change made to wscons after X11 is started doesn't change anything
in X11.

-moj

> Kind regards,
>
> Hannah.

Re: keyboard encoding

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:53:37PM +0200, Mats O Jansson wrote:
>On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

>>>These settings only affect the _first_ keyboard in the system
>>>(wskbd0).  Unfortunately, for a PC that is usually the PS/2 keyboard,
>>>even if none is plugged in.

>[...]

>>That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
>>mapping of secondary keyboards at all.

>Thats not correct.

>/sbin/kbd will change keyboard settings on ALL keyboards that has
>support for the requested keyboard map.

>wsconsctl has -f which allows you select which keyboard you are applying
>the change to. For keyboard operations /dev/wskbd0 is default if not
>specified.

>read the man page!

Thanks for the hints. I see /etc/rc still can use /sbin/kbd to set the
keyboard type from /etc/kbdtype, in addition to load wsconsctl settings
from /etc/wsconsctl.conf (but the latter only to the default control
devices, to load settings to a *specific* different control device, it
seems you need to setup something on your own, e.g. in /etc/rc.local).

>>(And btw, in X11, somehow the setup of the keyboard mapping from
>>/etc/X11/xorg.conf is delayed, since about mid-December 2007. Before,
>>the mapping from there, and from a few xmodmap settings loaded in
>>.xinitrc, took effect immediately when X was up from startx, now it
>>takes quite some time, perhaps half a minute or so, for them to take
>>effect. Related to X11 privsep changes? Later changes using setxkbmap
>>take effect immediately, btw.)

>It will always take the mapping from xorg.conf if it is defined there.
>If no keyboard language is specified X11 will now make a guess depending
>on which keyboard layout wscons has. But since X11 is reading the keyboard
>raw any change made to wscons after X11 is started doesn't change anything
>in X11.

No problem. I set the X11 keyboard layout using X11 means (xorg.conf,
setxkbmap, xmodmap). I just complained about the *delay* for the initial
setup from xorg.conf. That delay was introduced around in December 07.
Before that, the keyboard setup from xorg.conf used to be in effect
immediately after startup, now, directly after startup, it seems to be
the keyboard setup taken from wscons, and after about half a minute, it
suddenly changes to be that from xorg.conf.

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: keyboard encoding

Louis V. Lambrecht-3
Hannah Schroeter wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 03:53:37PM +0200, Mats O Jansson wrote:

>> [...]
>>

>>> That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
>>> mapping of secondary keyboards at all.
>>>

>> Thats not correct.
>>

>> /sbin/kbd will change keyboard settings on ALL keyboards that has
>> support for the requested keyboard map.
>>

>> wsconsctl has -f which allows you select which keyboard you are applying
>> the change to. For keyboard operations /dev/wskbd0 is default if not
>> specified.
>>

>> read the man page!
>>

> Thanks for the hints. I see /etc/rc still can use /sbin/kbd to set the
> keyboard type from /etc/kbdtype, in addition to load wsconsctl settings
> from /etc/wsconsctl.conf (but the latter only to the default control
> devices, to load settings to a *specific* different control device, it
> seems you need to setup something on your own, e.g. in /etc/rc.local).
>

>>> (And btw, in X11, somehow the setup of the keyboard mapping from
>>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf is delayed, since about mid-December 2007. Before,
>>> the mapping from there, and from a few xmodmap settings loaded in
>>> .xinitrc, took effect immediately when X was up from startx, now it
>>> takes quite some time, perhaps half a minute or so, for them to take
>>> effect. Related to X11 privsep changes? Later changes using setxkbmap
>>> take effect immediately, btw.)
>>>

>> It will always take the mapping from xorg.conf if it is defined there.
>> If no keyboard language is specified X11 will now make a guess depending
>> on which keyboard layout wscons has. But since X11 is reading the keyboard
>> raw any change made to wscons after X11 is started doesn't change anything
>> in X11.
>>

> No problem. I set the X11 keyboard layout using X11 means (xorg.conf,
> setxkbmap, xmodmap). I just complained about the *delay* for the initial
> setup from xorg.conf. That delay was introduced around in December 07.
> Before that, the keyboard setup from xorg.conf used to be in effect
> immediately after startup, now, directly after startup, it seems to be
> the keyboard setup taken from wscons, and after about half a minute, it
> suddenly changes to be that from xorg.conf.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hannah.

Rem: the XlbLayout option in xorg.conf is a list which happens
to only have one member most of the time.

This said, in order to use the keyboard applet under GNOME, I needed
ln -s /etc/X11/xkb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
might explain some delay?

Keyboard switching is present in XFCE, but only enable the default.
Switching is planned for later versions.

Now, fir the VT's, there *must* be a way.
Thinking of thre luit filter, now part of stock xorg.
Luit filters source codeset and dislays target codeset.
Intended for UTF-8 and the UNICODEs, what woud prevent it to translate
US-8859-1 from/to DE-8859-15 ?
Didn't try though.
Stiil convinced there must be easier ways.

Re: keyboard encoding

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 05:33:42PM +0200, Louis V. Lambrecht wrote:
>Hannah Schroeter wrote:
>[...]

>>No problem. I set the X11 keyboard layout using X11 means (xorg.conf,
>>setxkbmap, xmodmap). I just complained about the *delay* for the initial
>>setup from xorg.conf. That delay was introduced around in December 07.
>>Before that, the keyboard setup from xorg.conf used to be in effect
>>immediately after startup, now, directly after startup, it seems to be
>>the keyboard setup taken from wscons, and after about half a minute, it
>>suddenly changes to be that from xorg.conf.

>Rem: the XlbLayout option in xorg.conf is a list which happens
>to only have one member most of the time.

>This said, in order to use the keyboard applet under GNOME, I needed
>ln -s /etc/X11/xkb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb
>might explain some delay?

I don't think so. X11 *does* eventually setup the keyboard right, it
just has a delay, i.e. it first has the wrong keyboard mapping, later
the right one, without any user action. And I do *not* use GNOME or any
other "desktop environment".

>Keyboard switching is present in XFCE, but only enable the default.
>Switching is planned for later versions.

I don't use xfce either. I use fvwm2 from ports, but for keyboard
switching (rarely needed, usually the initial mapping from xorg.conf
plus a few xmodmap settings, once it's active after the initial delay,
is ok for me) I use shell scripts involving setxkbmap and re-loading my
xmodmap modifications, called either from xterm manually, or from the
fvwm2 menu.

>Now, fir the VT's, there *must* be a way.
>Thinking of thre luit filter, now part of stock xorg.
>Luit filters source codeset and dislays target codeset.
>Intended for UTF-8 and the UNICODEs, what woud prevent it to translate
>US-8859-1 from/to DE-8859-15 ?
>Didn't try though.
>Stiil convinced there must be easier ways.

luit isn't for keyboard mapping, but, as you said, for character
encoding. I don't use it (usually doing iso-8859-1 using a non-utf-8
xterm, for the rare instances I need utf-8, I use uxterm, and I nearly
never need anything besides those two).

Kind regards,

Hannah.

Re: keyboard encoding

Christian Weisgerber
Hannah Schroeter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> This is a box that has *no* PS/2 connectors any more.
>
> >But it still has a PS/2 keyboard controller.
>
> You're right: [...]
> That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
> mapping of secondary keyboards at all.

If you don't want to touch the startup scripts, you can just disable
pckbc in the kernel.

Re: keyboard encoding

Hannah Schroeter
Hi!

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 05:20:55PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

>> >But it still has a PS/2 keyboard controller.

>> You're right: [...]
>> That's quite unfortunate though if you can't affect the non-X11 keyboard
>> mapping of secondary keyboards at all.

>If you don't want to touch the startup scripts, you can just disable
>pckbc in the kernel.

Would also be possible, of course. But as currently I only touch the
keyboard mapping in wsconsctl.conf, using /etc/kbdtype instead works for
me for now. But thanks for the hint to yet another possibility, which
helps once I need other wscons settings.

Kind regards,

Hannah.