kernel/5194: em(4)'s link state remains as UNKNOWN until link established

kernel/5194: em(4)'s link state remains as UNKNOWN until link established

Matthew R. Dempsky
>Number:         5194
>Category:       kernel
>Synopsis:       em(4)'s link state remains as UNKNOWN until link established
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       non-critical
        em(4) initializes if_link_state to LINK_STATE_UNKNOWN and will not
        change it to LINK_STATE_DOWN until an Ethernet cable has been
        inserted, link established, and then removed.

        This causes problems with trunk(4) in failover mode, because trunk(4)
        will consider the master interface active unless its if_link_state is
        set to LINK_STATE_DOWN; i.e., trunk(4) will not failover from em(4)
        to another device after boot until an Ethernet link is established
        and broken.
>How-To-Repeat:
        After booting OpenBSD without an Ethernet cable plugged into an em(4)
        device, configure it as the master port for a trunk(4) device in
        failover mode.  The trunk(4) device will not use the failover device.

        Insert an Ethernet cable, establish an Ethernet link, then remove the
        cable.  The trunk(4) device will now use the failover device.

        On my laptop, I have configured trunk0 with em0 as the master and
        iwi0 as the failover.  Even with iwi0 associated to a network, trunk0
        is not useable until a link has been established at least once after
        boot.
        I posted a possible solution to misc@ on July 9th:
        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=115243138427220&w=2