kernel/4990: Cirrus Logic CS4280/46xx Crystal Clear audio runs slow and staticy

kernel/4990: Cirrus Logic CS4280/46xx Crystal Clear audio runs slow and staticy

Ryan Freeman
>Number:         4990
>Category:       kernel
>Synopsis:       Cirrus Logic CS4280/46xx Crystal Clear audio runs slow and
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System      : OpenBSD 3.9-BETA (GENERIC)
Architecture: OpenBSD.i386
Machine     : i386 (Thinkpad 600x)
Processor   : Pentium III 500 Mhz
Memory     : 320 MB

When playing any sort of audio, be it via mpg123 or wav files, sounds in
a game included, it plays much slower than it should. The sound seems to
run at about half speed, with tons of static as well.

>How-To-Repeat:
play any sound file by any means.

>Fix:
i accidentally found out that running something that takes cpu time
actually reduces the issue while something is being played. A good
example is running "ls -R /" or md5 on a large file. during the time at
which the said process is running, the sound actually runs almost 100%
normal, with minor breakup. Not sure that I would call this a `Fix' but
it is something.

http://ryan.slipgate.org/dmesg-insomniac.txt
http://ryan.slipgate.org/acpi-insomniac.txt

--