kernel/4607: System reset as an unprivileged user

kernel/4607: System reset as an unprivileged user

Pascal S. de Kloe
>Number:         4607
>Category:       kernel
>Synopsis:       System reset as an unprivileged user
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
        System      : OpenBSD 3.8
        Architecture: OpenBSD.i386
        Machine     : i386

I use the standard bsd.mp to feed two Xeon CPUs.

The configure script from gettext 0.14.3 resets the entire system as an unprivileged user.

>How-To-Repeat:
WARNING: The operating system will reset itself!
Run ./configure in the source directory as an unprivileged user.

/var/log has no information about what happens. I tried to log the couse with ./configure >& crash.log but the system fails to write the file before the crash.

The following might me related to this problem.
The configure script from ATK 1.9.1 froze X on line: "appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool.
I had to reset my own machine. :'( Running the script in text mode "solved" the problem.