iwi0 connection frustration

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
Hi,

I am still testing a "crashbox" (not bad, from zero to a full OpenBSD
system including port trees in less than a week, my first OpenBSD system :) )
but I have now an issue with the wlan connection. The card is an Intel
PRO/Wireless
2200BG

First of all: I have read the man pages (good boy, good boy! arf, arf!)

My net:

nwid: pepitogrillo

nwkey: eltrenloco

(hahaha!)

I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.

But still I cannot connect. My command line is

sudo ifconfig iwi0 nwkey eltrenloco nwid pepitogrillo

(I hope that the order of the factors doesn't alter the product! Is
iwi an abelian group? )

and then

sudo dhclient iwi0

After the first DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 I get
"send_packet: No buffer space available", this goes on some 12 times
and then No DHCPOFFERS received and No working leases in presistent
database - sleeping

I cannot show you dmesg because, as a matter of fact, the crashbox
doesn't have connection :) And I don't feel like typping everything!

Trying it via /etc/hostname.iwi0 doesn't help

Any hint? (I am sure yes!)

thanks in advance,

Pau

PS: The "send_packet: No buffer space available" disappears after a
sudo ifconfig iwi0 down, sudo ifwonfig iwi0 up

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Der Engel
Did you install the firmware?

On 11/28/06, Vim Visual <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am still testing a "crashbox" (not bad, from zero to a full OpenBSD
> system including port trees in less than a week, my first OpenBSD system :) )
> but I have now an issue with the wlan connection. The card is an Intel
> PRO/Wireless
> 2200BG
>
> First of all: I have read the man pages (good boy, good boy! arf, arf!)
>
> My net:
>
> nwid: pepitogrillo
>
> nwkey: eltrenloco
>
> (hahaha!)
>
> I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.
>
> But still I cannot connect. My command line is
>
> sudo ifconfig iwi0 nwkey eltrenloco nwid pepitogrillo
>
> (I hope that the order of the factors doesn't alter the product! Is
> iwi an abelian group? )
>
> and then
>
> sudo dhclient iwi0
>
> After the first DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 I get
> "send_packet: No buffer space available", this goes on some 12 times
> and then No DHCPOFFERS received and No working leases in presistent
> database - sleeping
>
> I cannot show you dmesg because, as a matter of fact, the crashbox
> doesn't have connection :) And I don't feel like typping everything!
>
> Trying it via /etc/hostname.iwi0 doesn't help
>
> Any hint? (I am sure yes!)
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> Pau
>
> PS: The "send_packet: No buffer space available" disappears after a
> sudo ifconfig iwi0 down, sudo ifwonfig iwi0 up

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
As I wrote in the previous email, I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.

this means that I did

sudo pkg_add http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/packages/openbsd/iwi-firmware-3.0.tgz

the files

/etc/firmware/iwi-license
/etc/firmware/iwi-boot
/etc/firmware/iwi-bss
/etc/firmware/iwi-ibss
/etc/firmware/iwi-monitor
/etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-bss
/etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-ibss
/etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-monitor

are there and dmesg | grep iwi tells me that the adpater has been
recognized during the boot process; what's more, I get *something*
like

# ifconfig iwi0
iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
        nwid ""
        media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
        status: no network

but I am missing the "powersave" line. I don't know whether this is
related to the problem.

It cannot be a hardware problem because the crashbox with the debian
variant ubuntu recognised the chip and I was able to connect to my
nwid

I am wondering whether this has something to do with the encryption
bit rate... I see that the maximum is 104-bit and I don't remember
which rate I chose (the wlan modem is at home, I am in the office now)

Mmmh... maybe I should try to switch off the wep and see what happens...

2006/11/28, Der Engel <[hidden email]>:

> Did you install the firmware?
>
> On 11/28/06, Vim Visual <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am still testing a "crashbox" (not bad, from zero to a full OpenBSD
> > system including port trees in less than a week, my first OpenBSD system :) )
> > but I have now an issue with the wlan connection. The card is an Intel
> > PRO/Wireless
> > 2200BG
> >
> > First of all: I have read the man pages (good boy, good boy! arf, arf!)
> >
> > My net:
> >
> > nwid: pepitogrillo
> >
> > nwkey: eltrenloco
> >
> > (hahaha!)
> >
> > I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.
> >
> > But still I cannot connect. My command line is
> >
> > sudo ifconfig iwi0 nwkey eltrenloco nwid pepitogrillo
> >
> > (I hope that the order of the factors doesn't alter the product! Is
> > iwi an abelian group? )
> >
> > and then
> >
> > sudo dhclient iwi0
> >
> > After the first DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 I get
> > "send_packet: No buffer space available", this goes on some 12 times
> > and then No DHCPOFFERS received and No working leases in presistent
> > database - sleeping
> >
> > I cannot show you dmesg because, as a matter of fact, the crashbox
> > doesn't have connection :) And I don't feel like typping everything!
> >
> > Trying it via /etc/hostname.iwi0 doesn't help
> >
> > Any hint? (I am sure yes!)
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > Pau
> >
> > PS: The "send_packet: No buffer space available" disappears after a
> > sudo ifconfig iwi0 down, sudo ifwonfig iwi0 up

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Bruno Carnazzi
2006/11/28, Vim Visual <[hidden email]>:

> As I wrote in the previous email, I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.
>
> this means that I did
>
> sudo pkg_add http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/packages/openbsd/iwi-firmware-3.0.tgz
>
> the files
>
> /etc/firmware/iwi-license
> /etc/firmware/iwi-boot
> /etc/firmware/iwi-bss
> /etc/firmware/iwi-ibss
> /etc/firmware/iwi-monitor
> /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-bss
> /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-ibss
> /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-monitor
>
> are there and dmesg | grep iwi tells me that the adpater has been
> recognized during the boot process; what's more, I get *something*
> like
>
> # ifconfig iwi0
> iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>         nwid ""
>         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
>         status: no network

Maybe
# ifconfig iwi0 up
?

> but I am missing the "powersave" line. I don't know whether this is
> related to the problem.
>
> It cannot be a hardware problem because the crashbox with the debian
> variant ubuntu recognised the chip and I was able to connect to my
> nwid
>
> I am wondering whether this has something to do with the encryption
> bit rate... I see that the maximum is 104-bit and I don't remember
> which rate I chose (the wlan modem is at home, I am in the office now)
>
> Mmmh... maybe I should try to switch off the wep and see what happens...
>
> 2006/11/28, Der Engel <[hidden email]>:
> > Did you install the firmware?
> >
> > On 11/28/06, Vim Visual <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am still testing a "crashbox" (not bad, from zero to a full OpenBSD
> > > system including port trees in less than a week, my first OpenBSD system :) )
> > > but I have now an issue with the wlan connection. The card is an Intel
> > > PRO/Wireless
> > > 2200BG
> > >
> > > First of all: I have read the man pages (good boy, good boy! arf, arf!)
> > >
> > > My net:
> > >
> > > nwid: pepitogrillo
> > >
> > > nwkey: eltrenloco
> > >
> > > (hahaha!)
> > >
> > > I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.
> > >
> > > But still I cannot connect. My command line is
> > >
> > > sudo ifconfig iwi0 nwkey eltrenloco nwid pepitogrillo
> > >
> > > (I hope that the order of the factors doesn't alter the product! Is
> > > iwi an abelian group? )
> > >
> > > and then
> > >
> > > sudo dhclient iwi0
> > >
> > > After the first DHCPDISCOVER on iwi0 to 255.255.255.255 I get
> > > "send_packet: No buffer space available", this goes on some 12 times
> > > and then No DHCPOFFERS received and No working leases in presistent
> > > database - sleeping
> > >
> > > I cannot show you dmesg because, as a matter of fact, the crashbox
> > > doesn't have connection :) And I don't feel like typping everything!
> > >
> > > Trying it via /etc/hostname.iwi0 doesn't help
> > >
> > > Any hint? (I am sure yes!)
> > >
> > > thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Pau
> > >
> > > PS: The "send_packet: No buffer space available" disappears after a
> > > sudo ifconfig iwi0 down, sudo ifwonfig iwi0 up

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
ahem... I did this, of course...

2006/11/28, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]>:

> 2006/11/28, Vim Visual <[hidden email]>:
> > As I wrote in the previous email, I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.
> >
> > this means that I did
> >
> > sudo pkg_add http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/packages/openbsd/iwi-firmware-3.0.tgz
> >
> > the files
> >
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-license
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-boot
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-bss
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-ibss
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-monitor
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-bss
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-ibss
> > /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-monitor
> >
> > are there and dmesg | grep iwi tells me that the adpater has been
> > recognized during the boot process; what's more, I get *something*
> > like
> >
> > # ifconfig iwi0
> > iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> >         address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> >         nwid ""
> >         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
> >         status: no network
>
> Maybe
> # ifconfig iwi0 up
> ?
>

> > but I am missing the "powersave" line. I don't know whether this is
> > related to the problem.
> >
> > It cannot be a hardware problem because the crashbox with the debian
> > variant ubuntu recognised the chip and I was able to connect to my
> > nwid
> >
> > I am wondering whether this has something to do with the encryption
> > bit rate... I see that the maximum is 104-bit and I don't remember
> > which rate I chose (the wlan modem is at home, I am in the office now)
> >
> > Mmmh... maybe I should try to switch off the wep and see what happens...
> >
> > 2006/11/28, Der Engel <[hidden email]>:
> > > Did you install the firmware?

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
I said I was writing blindly because the laptop was at home but, of
course, after an ifconfig iwi0 up I get the correct flag there... UP

2006/11/28, Vim Visual <[hidden email]>:

> ahem... I did this, of course...
>
> 2006/11/28, Bruno Carnazzi <[hidden email]>:
> > 2006/11/28, Vim Visual <[hidden email]>:
> > > As I wrote in the previous email, I have pkg_add'ed the damien firmware.
> > >
> > > this means that I did
> > >
> > > sudo pkg_add http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/packages/openbsd/iwi-firmware-3.0.tgz
> > >
> > > the files
> > >
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-license
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-boot
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-bss
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-ibss
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-monitor
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-bss
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-ibss
> > > /etc/firmware/iwi-ucode-monitor
> > >
> > > are there and dmesg | grep iwi tells me that the adpater has been
> > > recognized during the boot process; what's more, I get *something*
> > > like
> > >
> > > # ifconfig iwi0
> > > iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
> > >         address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> > >         nwid ""
> > >         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
> > >         status: no network
> >
> > Maybe
> > # ifconfig iwi0 up
> > ?
> >

> > > but I am missing the "powersave" line. I don't know whether this is
> > > related to the problem.
> > >
> > > It cannot be a hardware problem because the crashbox with the debian
> > > variant ubuntu recognised the chip and I was able to connect to my
> > > nwid
> > >
> > > I am wondering whether this has something to do with the encryption
> > > bit rate... I see that the maximum is 104-bit and I don't remember
> > > which rate I chose (the wlan modem is at home, I am in the office now)
> > >
> > > Mmmh... maybe I should try to switch off the wep and see what happens...

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
Gosh, I don't understand anything. I am sorry that I am overwhelming
your inboxes today but

1- I tried to make the nwid visible (it's possible to make it invisible)

2- I also tried to switch off the wep key

and _nothing_

But the wlan CAN scan the networks! When I type ifconfig -M iwi0 I get
the usual neighbour's access points and mine! It's only that protocol
doesn't get a DHCPOFFER

I am writing this email from a debian laptop connected to my network
and the funny thing is that the wlan chip is the same one...

any hint?

I want to totally move to O'bsd but wlan connection is crucial for me
and it's the only thing that's stopping me to install obsd on the
production laptop, I'm bored of the crashbox, now I want to make the
Move

Cheers,

Pau

2006/11/28, Vim Visual <[hidden email]>:

> I said I was writing blindly because the laptop was at home but, of
> course, after an ifconfig iwi0 up I get the correct flag there... UP
>
> 2006/11/28, Vim Visual <[hidden email]>:
> > ahem... I did this, of course...

> > > Maybe
> > > # ifconfig iwi0 up
> > > ?

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

OpenBSD-9
Vim Visual wrote:

> Gosh, I don't understand anything. I am sorry that I am overwhelming
> your inboxes today but
>
> 1- I tried to make the nwid visible (it's possible to make it invisible)
>
> 2- I also tried to switch off the wep key
>
> and _nothing_
>
> But the wlan CAN scan the networks! When I type ifconfig -M iwi0 I get
> the usual neighbour's access points and mine! It's only that protocol
> doesn't get a DHCPOFFER
>
> I am writing this email from a debian laptop connected to my network
> and the funny thing is that the wlan chip is the same one...
>
> any hint?
>
> I want to totally move to O'bsd but wlan connection is crucial for me
> and it's the only thing that's stopping me to install obsd on the
> production laptop, I'm bored of the crashbox, now I want to make the
> Move
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pau

Hi Pau,

have you tried putting something like:

     dhcp NONE NONE NONE \
     nwid pepitogrillo nwkey eltrenloco

in your hostname.iwi0 file and then using:

/bin/sh -x /etc/netstart iwi0

to restart the interface?

I have had an issue with an ipw0 Intel Pro 2100 that would only clear
its wifi connection on reboot, with the appropriate hostname.if just
uping and downing the interface was not clearing the nwkey.

HTH

Fred
--
OpenBSD on the Zaurus C3200
http://www.crowsons.net/puters/zaurus.php

Re: iwi0 connection frustration

Pau Amaro-Seoane-3
Fred, would you like to marry me?

Oh, my! I always forget that I am already married! Too bad!

Thanks!!!!!

That did it! But it requiered a reboot, which I don't like much, but
the network is there and I can connect!

Does this mean that I have to reboot everytime I change the connection
point? Well it's not perfect but it's the last problem I have solved
(with your help!) now

LET'S MOVE TO OPENBSD!!!!

Enough crashboxes! Now let's go for the production thing!

Thanks a LOT to everybody!

gracias!

Pau

Vim Visual wrote:
> Fred, would you like to marry me?

Sorry I'm taken :~)

> Oh, my! I always forget that I am already married! Too bad!
>
> Thanks!!!!!
>
> That did it! But it requiered a reboot, which I don't like much, but
> the network is there and I can connect!
>
> Does this mean that I have to reboot everytime I change the connection
> point? Well it's not perfect but it's the last problem I have solved
> (with your help!) now

Normally you should not need to reboot to change connections - however
the iwi, like the iwp requires a firmware blob, which is not written by
the OpenBSD dev's - and I reckon they add such issues like not flushing
keys when asked.  /etc/netstart should be enough to reset the connection.

> LET'S MOVE TO OPENBSD!!!!
>
> Enough crashboxes! Now let's go for the production thing!
>
> Thanks a LOT to everybody!
>
> gracias!
>
> Pau

HTH