is there anything like pdfnup or pdfjam?

is there anything like pdfnup or pdfjam?

rsykora
Dear list,

I want to print a pdf, but with two pages put
on one physical page.

On linux, pdfnup or pdfjam can do it.

I cannot find these for OpenBSD.
What do you use then?

Thanks
Ruda

Re: is there anything like pdfnup or pdfjam?

Mike Coddington
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 04:50:08PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I want to print a pdf, but with two pages put
> on one physical page.
>
> On linux, pdfnup or pdfjam can do it.
>
> I cannot find these for OpenBSD.
> What do you use then?

It looks like pdfjam is included in the texlive package these days, as
well as being a standalone port in OpenBSD's ports collection. I don't
use this package, but try installing texlive and see if that gives you a
usable pdfjam script.

--
Put your Nose to the Grindstone!
                -- Amalgamated Plastic Surgeons and Toolmakers, Ltd.

Re: is there anything like pdfnup or pdfjam?

Josh Grosse-3
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 04:50:08PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I want to print a pdf, but with two pages put
> on one physical page.
>
> On linux, pdfnup or pdfjam can do it.
>
> I cannot find these for OpenBSD.
> What do you use then?

Both pdfnum and pdfjam are included with the texlive_base package.  For 2-up
printing, I use evince.

Re: is there anything like pdfnup or pdfjam?

vincent delft-2
Hello Ruda,

Personnally I'm doing it via the lp command in the cups package:
lp -o number-up=2 filename

Regards

On 2019-01-21, Mike Coddington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 04:50:08PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I want to print a pdf, but with two pages put
>> on one physical page.
>>
>> On linux, pdfnup or pdfjam can do it.
>>
>> I cannot find these for OpenBSD.
>> What do you use then?
>
> It looks like pdfjam is included in the texlive package these days,

Yes, as is pdfnup - "pkg_add pkglocatedb" then "pkglocate pdfjam".
(For some reason the programs are in texlive_base but the manpages are in
texlive_texmf-full)..

> as well as being a standalone port in OpenBSD's ports collection.

I don't see that?

January 21, 2019 11:00 PM, "Vincent" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Personnally I'm doing it via the lp command in the cups package:
> lp -o number-up=2 filename

Well, that uses cups, which I don't use.

Thanks anyway
Ruda

January 22, 2019 12:46 AM, "Stuart Henderson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, as is pdfnup - "pkg_add pkglocatedb" then "pkglocate pdfjam".
> (For some reason the programs are in texlive_base but the manpages are in
> texlive_texmf-full)..

Ok.
To me it seems (I had texlive_base installed but not texlive_texmf-full) that
only softlinks to scripts like pdfjam are in the texlive_base, not the actual
scripts. These are only present when the texlive_texmf-full is installed (I only
had texlive_texmf-minimal before).

# pkglocate pdfnup
texlive_base-2017p3:print/texlive/base,-main:/usr/local/bin/pdfnup
texlive_texmf-full-2017p2:print/texlive/texmf,-full:/usr/local/man/man1/pdfnup.1
texlive_texmf-full-2017p2:print/texlive/texmf,-full:/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/scripts/pdfjam/pdfnu

Thanks
Ruda

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 11:45:55PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > as well as being a standalone port in OpenBSD's ports collection.
>
> I don't see that?

My mistake. I was browsing the cvsweb page for ports and noticed that
there was an entry. Seems like you may have removed pdfjam from ports
six years ago: https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/print/pdfjam/

I need to bone up on my CVS, I think!

--
Put your Nose to the Grindstone!
                -- Amalgamated Plastic Surgeons and Toolmakers, Ltd.

Re: is there anything like pdfnup or pdfjam?

Marc Espie-2
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 04:50:08PM +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I want to print a pdf, but with two pages put
> on one physical page.
>
> On linux, pdfnup or pdfjam can do it.

On OpenBSD they do as well.

> I cannot find these for OpenBSD.

Because you don't know how to look.

Contrary to linux, we've got fewer packages that contain more stuff.

pkglocate is your friend, install pkglocatedb, and you'll be able to find
what you need...

$ pkglocate pdfnup
texlive_base-2017p3:print/texlive/base,-main:/usr/local/bin/pdfnup
texlive_texmf-full-2017p2:print/texlive/texmf,-full:/usr/local/man/man1/pdfnup.1
texlive_texmf-full-2017p2:print/texlive/texmf,-full:/usr/local/share/texmf-dist/scripts/pdfjam/pdfnup