intel i915 and opengl acceleration

carlos duarte
i'm intersted in buying the eeepc. i intend to use it for all kinds of
desktop work, up to and including blender3d, which works best under
accelerated opengl.

the intel gma 900 (i915) that the eeepc uses, does has xorg support
(as stated here http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver )  ..except
that i can't really tell whether this just means xorg support, or full
3d opengl accelerated support..

what do you guys think?

thanks!

-carlos

Re: intel i915 and opengl acceleration

Paul de Weerd
On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 03:01:53AM -0700, carlos duarte wrote:
| i'm intersted in buying the eeepc. i intend to use it for all kinds of
| desktop work, up to and including blender3d, which works best under
| accelerated opengl.
|
| the intel gma 900 (i915) that the eeepc uses, does has xorg support
| (as stated here http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver )  ..except
| that i can't really tell whether this just means xorg support, or full
| 3d opengl accelerated support..
|
| what do you guys think?

I think that accelerated 3d is still under heavy / active development
so my advice would be to 'try it and see for yourself'. -current is
your best bet.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: intel i915 and opengl acceleration

carlos duarte
thanks, man.. yeah, i think it'll work.. i'm not getting an eeepc
anymore, though.. but the inspiron 6000 i *am* getting, does have the
same graphics card!

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:15 AM, Paul de Weerd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 03:01:53AM -0700, carlos duarte wrote:
> | i'm intersted in buying the eeepc. i intend to use it for all kinds of
> | desktop work, up to and including blender3d, which works best under
> | accelerated opengl.
> |
> | the intel gma 900 (i915) that the eeepc uses, does has xorg support
> | (as stated here http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver )  ..except
> | that i can't really tell whether this just means xorg support, or full
> | 3d opengl accelerated support..
> |
> | what do you guys think?
>
> I think that accelerated 3d is still under heavy / active development
> so my advice would be to 'try it and see for yourself'. -current is
> your best bet.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd
>
> --
>>++++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++++++.>+++[<------>-]<.>+++[<+
> +++++++++++>-]<.>++[<------------>-]<+.--------------.[-]
>                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: intel i915 and opengl acceleration

Peter Hessler
the eeepc does have support for hardware rendering, but glxgears
(probably the worst benchmark, except for the others) tops out at
250fps.

if you are interested in doing real things in opengl, you may be
interested in a slightly more powered machine.

:
:the intel gma 900 (i915) that the eeepc uses, does has xorg support
:(as stated here http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver )  ..except
:that i can't really tell whether this just means xorg support, or full
:3d opengl accelerated support..
:
:what do you guys think?
:
:thanks!
:
:-carlos
:

--
A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.