installer stuck at boot

Daniel Pocock

Hi,

I downloaded this file:

https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/powerpc64/install68.iso

sha256sum install68.iso
ecfcaf79833358c94ecf8f7390346c8d4f167169f7eb987417a6b532bf1e12e7

and tried to boot a Talos II with it.

It fails with an error:

SIGTERM received, booting...
[   22.960137] kexec_core: Starting new kernel
Hello, World!
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1995-2020 OpenBSD. All rights reserved.
https://www.OpenBSD.org

OpenBSD 6.8-beta (RAMDISK) #47: Thu Sep  3 19:35:45 MDT 2020

[hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/powerpc64/compile/RAMDISK
real mem  = 137438953472 (131072MB)
panic: buf_mem_init: can't reserve VM for buffers

The operating system has halted.
Please press any key to reboot.

I've added this in the Raptor forum too:
https://forums.raptorcs.com/index.php/topic,191.0.html

Regards,

Daniel

Re: installer stuck at boot

Mark Kettenis
> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 18:12:51 +0200
>
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded this file:
>
> https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/powerpc64/install68.iso
>
> sha256sum install68.iso
> ecfcaf79833358c94ecf8f7390346c8d4f167169f7eb987417a6b532bf1e12e7
>
> and tried to boot a Talos II with it.
>
> It fails with an error:
>

> SIGTERM received, booting...
> [   22.960137] kexec_core: Starting new kernel
> Hello, World!
> Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
> The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
> Copyright (c) 1995-2020 OpenBSD. All rights reserved.
> https://www.OpenBSD.org
>
> OpenBSD 6.8-beta (RAMDISK) #47: Thu Sep  3 19:35:45 MDT 2020
>
> [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/powerpc64/compile/RAMDISK
> real mem  = 137438953472 (131072MB)
> panic: buf_mem_init: can't reserve VM for buffers
>
> The operating system has halted.
> Please press any key to reboot.

Hmm, I think that means that you have too much memory in your machine ;).

Seriously though, I have an idea why this happens; I'll see if I can
come up with a quick fix.

Re: installer stuck at boot

Daniel Pocock

On 04/09/2020 18:22, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> Hmm, I think that means that you have too much memory in your machine ;).

but I only used half the slots

> Seriously though, I have an idea why this happens; I'll see if I can
> come up with a quick fix.

Great, I'll be happy to test it and give some feedback

It is a new build so I'll be trying a few different things on it before
putting it into serious use.  Is there anything else that would be
useful for me to exercise in OpenBSD on Talos II?

Regards,

Daniel

Re: installer stuck at boot

Mark Kettenis
> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 18:32:20 +0200

Hi Daniel,

> On 04/09/2020 18:22, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>

> > Hmm, I think that means that you have too much memory in your machine ;).
>
> but I only used half the slots

Don't fill them just yet if you want to try running OpenBSD!

> > Seriously though, I have an idea why this happens; I'll see if I can
> > come up with a quick fix.
>
> Great, I'll be happy to test it and give some feedback

I committed a quick fix that (if my calculations are right) should
allow you to boot with 128G of RAM (but probably not with 256G).  The
latest snapshot probably already has those fixes.  But if you get the
same output, please try again in a day or so.

In case you're interested, the problem is that the kernel virtual
address space is somewhat limited in the current implementation (4G,
which I now bumped to 6G).  With 128G a large fraction of that space
gets used for the data structures that describe the memory pages.  I
need to expand the kernel virtual address space further but that is
a bit more work.

> It is a new build so I'll be trying a few different things on it before
> putting it into serious use.  Is there anything else that would be
> useful for me to exercise in OpenBSD on Talos II?

It is still early days for OpenBSD/powerpc64 so any testing you can do
is welcome.  If you end up testing additonal PCIe hardware in the
machine let me know and I can provide some hints for adding the
necessary drivers.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: installer stuck at boot

Daniel Pocock

On 05/09/2020 13:26, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 18:32:20 +0200
>
> Hi Daniel,
>

>> On 04/09/2020 18:22, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>>
>>> Seriously though, I have an idea why this happens; I'll see if I can
>>> come up with a quick fix.
>>
>> Great, I'll be happy to test it and give some feedback
>
> I committed a quick fix that (if my calculations are right) should
> allow you to boot with 128G of RAM (but probably not with 256G).  The
> latest snapshot probably already has those fixes.  But if you get the
> same output, please try again in a day or so.
>
> In case you're interested, the problem is that the kernel virtual
> address space is somewhat limited in the current implementation (4G,
> which I now bumped to 6G).  With 128G a large fraction of that space
> gets used for the data structures that describe the memory pages.  I
> need to expand the kernel virtual address space further but that is
> a bit more work.

Thanks for getting on to that so quickly.  I will probably only be able
to test again at the end of the week, Friday, then I'll give some more
feedback.

>> It is a new build so I'll be trying a few different things on it before
>> putting it into serious use.  Is there anything else that would be
>> useful for me to exercise in OpenBSD on Talos II?
>
> It is still early days for OpenBSD/powerpc64 so any testing you can do
> is welcome.  If you end up testing additonal PCIe hardware in the
> machine let me know and I can provide some hints for adding the
> necessary drivers.

The cards I'm likely to test this week:

HBA: LSI SAS 9207-4i4e

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse

I have a couple of older NVIDIA GPUs lying about too, for example,
Quadro K2200.  I might test them if I have some extra time.

NVMe: I need to buy a more modern HBA or OCuLink adapter to run a pair
of U.2 SSDs together with some legacy SATA SSDs and HDDs.  An
alternative is to just put in a dual-OCuLink card for the U.2 drives and
use my existing 9207-4i4e for the legacy drives.  If you can make any
suggestions which card or combination of cards to consider that would be
helpful, especially if they are cards that other OpenBSD users have
already validated on other architectures.

Regards,

Daniel

Re: installer stuck at boot

Mark Kettenis
> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 14:37:13 +0200
>
> On 05/09/2020 13:26, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> >> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
> >> Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 18:32:20 +0200
> >
> > Hi Daniel,

> >> Great, I'll be happy to test it and give some feedback
> >
> > I committed a quick fix that (if my calculations are right) should
> > allow you to boot with 128G of RAM (but probably not with 256G).  The
> > latest snapshot probably already has those fixes.  But if you get the
> > same output, please try again in a day or so.
> >
> > In case you're interested, the problem is that the kernel virtual
> > address space is somewhat limited in the current implementation (4G,
> > which I now bumped to 6G).  With 128G a large fraction of that space
> > gets used for the data structures that describe the memory pages.  I
> > need to expand the kernel virtual address space further but that is
> > a bit more work.
>
> Thanks for getting on to that so quickly.  I will probably only be able
> to test again at the end of the week, Friday, then I'll give some more
> feedback.
>

> >> It is a new build so I'll be trying a few different things on it before
> >> putting it into serious use.  Is there anything else that would be
> >> useful for me to exercise in OpenBSD on Talos II?
> >
> > It is still early days for OpenBSD/powerpc64 so any testing you can do
> > is welcome.  If you end up testing additonal PCIe hardware in the
> > machine let me know and I can provide some hints for adding the
> > necessary drivers.
>
> The cards I'm likely to test this week:
>
> HBA: LSI SAS 9207-4i4e

Should be supported by mpii(4).  I'll pre-emptively add the driver to
the kernel.

> GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse

I'm working on the amdgpu(4) driver to support this hardware, but I
first need to imrpove the IOMMU support, so this is not hoing to work
yet.

> I have a couple of older NVIDIA GPUs lying about too, for example,
> Quadro K2200.  I might test them if I have some extra time.

No NVIDIA GPU support in OpenBSD.

> NVMe: I need to buy a more modern HBA or OCuLink adapter to run a pair
> of U.2 SSDs together with some legacy SATA SSDs and HDDs.  An
> alternative is to just put in a dual-OCuLink card for the U.2 drives and
> use my existing 9207-4i4e for the legacy drives.  If you can make any
> suggestions which card or combination of cards to consider that would be
> helpful, especially if they are cards that other OpenBSD users have
> already validated on other architectures.

The nvme(4) driver supports NVMe drivers, so I suppose OCuLink will
just work.  I think mpii(4) supports the Broadcom HBA 9400 series
which supports SAS/SATA/NVMe.  As far as I can tell there is no
support for the HBA 9500 series yet, which is of course what you'd
want on a machine that supports PCIe 4.0.

The mpii(4) driver is widely used by OpenBSD users and is probably
your safest bet overall.

Re: installer stuck at boot

Daniel Pocock

On 05/09/2020 15:19, Mark Kettenis wrote:

>> From: Daniel Pocock <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2020 14:37:13 +0200

>>> Hi Daniel,

>>> I committed a quick fix that (if my calculations are right) should
>>> allow you to boot with 128G of RAM (but probably not with 256G).  The
>>> latest snapshot probably already has those fixes.  But if you get the
>>> same output, please try again in a day or so.
>>>
>>> In case you're interested, the problem is that the kernel virtual
>>> address space is somewhat limited in the current implementation (4G,
>>> which I now bumped to 6G).  With 128G a large fraction of that space
>>> gets used for the data structures that describe the memory pages.  I
>>> need to expand the kernel virtual address space further but that is
>>> a bit more work.
>>
>> Thanks for getting on to that so quickly.  I will probably only be able
>> to test again at the end of the week, Friday, then I'll give some more
>> feedback.

>>> It is still early days for OpenBSD/powerpc64 so any testing you can do
>>> is welcome.  If you end up testing additonal PCIe hardware in the
>>> machine let me know and I can provide some hints for adding the
>>> necessary drivers.
>>
>> The cards I'm likely to test this week:
>>
>> HBA: LSI SAS 9207-4i4e
>
> Should be supported by mpii(4).  I'll pre-emptively add the driver to
> the kernel.

Great, it is a very simple card that is useful for legacy SATA SSDs

>> GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse
>
> I'm working on the amdgpu(4) driver to support this hardware, but I
> first need to imrpove the IOMMU support, so this is not hoing to work
> yet.

OK, I can test with the built-in VGA for now

Is there any other GPU that may already be supported now?

>> I have a couple of older NVIDIA GPUs lying about too, for example,
>> Quadro K2200.  I might test them if I have some extra time.
>
> No NVIDIA GPU support in OpenBSD.

OK, I'll skip that one.

>> NVMe: I need to buy a more modern HBA or OCuLink adapter to run a pair
>> of U.2 SSDs together with some legacy SATA SSDs and HDDs.  An
>> alternative is to just put in a dual-OCuLink card for the U.2 drives and
>> use my existing 9207-4i4e for the legacy drives.  If you can make any
>> suggestions which card or combination of cards to consider that would be
>> helpful, especially if they are cards that other OpenBSD users have
>> already validated on other architectures.
>
> The nvme(4) driver supports NVMe drivers, so I suppose OCuLink will
> just work.  I think mpii(4) supports the Broadcom HBA 9400 series
> which supports SAS/SATA/NVMe.  As far as I can tell there is no
> support for the HBA 9500 series yet, which is of course what you'd
> want on a machine that supports PCIe 4.0.
>
> The mpii(4) driver is widely used by OpenBSD users and is probably
> your safest bet overall.

OK, thanks for that feedback.

The Broadcom user guide mentions that 9500-16i works on FreeBSD already,
is that a path to OpenBSD support?

You are correct in estimating my enthusiasm for PCIe 4.0.  Personally, I
have the dual-CPU model with 5 slots.  As many people only chose the
motherboard with 2 slots (Talos II Lite or Blackbird), it is important
to squeeze as much value as possible out of each slot.

The smallest slot in these boards is a PCIe 4.0 x8 slot: that can handle
16 GB/second.  Newer and faster[2] U.3 SSDs appear to be offering up to
6.2 GB/s and more common/affordable U.2 models offer 2-3 GB/s now.
Therefore, for somebody who does RAID-1 in their workstation, it should
be possible to get the full benefit of both drives reading or writing
simultaneously at full speed and manage a few legacy drives: all using
the same slot.

Regards,

Daniel

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions