install on softraid

irix
Do you planning to remake installer script to allow install system to
software raid from it ?

Re: install on softraid

Nick Holland
this time, to list!  What a concept....

On 04/08/2011 06:15 AM, irix wrote:
> Do you planning to remake installer script to allow install system to
> software raid from it ?

no. why?
you can do that now.

boot install kernel
drop to shell
configure softraid devices
type "install"
note that your softraid devices are now places you can install to.

done.

Nick.

Re: install on softraid

Mindless Gr
The last time i have done it i remember that was a little tricky from install to
initialize second disk from the shell

Dont remember how have done it though

________________________________
> Do you planning to remake installer script to allow install system to software
>raid from it ?

no. why?
you can do that now.

boot install kernel
drop to shell
configure softraid devices
type "install"
note that your softraid devices are now places you can install to.

done.

Nick.

Re: install on softraid

Manuel GIRAUD-3
Mindless Gr <[hidden email]> writes:

> The last time i have done it i remember that was a little tricky from install to
> initialize second disk from the shell
>
> Dont remember how have done it though

AFAICR, you have to cd to /dev/ and sh MAKEDEV the new devices.

Manuel Giraud

Re: install on softraid

irix
When I try to build softraid0 during install with command bioctl -c 1 -l
/dev/wd0a,/dev/wd1a softraid0
System return softraid0 invalid metadata format. How can I fix it ?

Re: install on softraid

Nick Holland
On 04/08/11 18:14, irix wrote:
> When I try to build softraid0 during install with command bioctl -c 1 -l
> /dev/wd0a,/dev/wd1a softraid0
> System return softraid0 invalid metadata format. How can I fix it ?

You can't softraid your boot partition.  I rather suspect you are going
to be booting from wd0a.

Make a small boot partition (wd0a), make an identical sized wd1a as an
altroot ("man daily").  Use some of the rest of each drive as your RAID
partitions, and softraid those.

Nick.

Re: install on softraid

irix
Also I try to add wd0d and wd1d with same commad but system return me
same error invalid metadata format.
Why this error is happening ?

Re: install on softraid

Theo de Raadt
> Do you planning to remake installer script to allow install system to
> software raid from it ?

Not yet planned.  It is more likely that DUID support will happen first.

Re: install on softraid

Marco Peereboom
There is some garbage in the location where softraid looks for metadata.
I got recently inspired to look at this because it looks like the force
flag isn't always honored.  For now do a couple of dd's from /dev/zero.

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 01:57:35PM +0300, irix wrote:
> Also I try to add wd0d and wd1d with same commad but system return
> me same error invalid metadata format.
> Why this error is happening ?

Re: install on softraid

Nick Holland
On 04/09/11 06:57, irix wrote:
> Also I try to add wd0d and wd1d with same commad but system return me
> same error invalid metadata format.
> Why this error is happening ?

to elaborate on Marco's answer, before running bioctl, try:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd0d bs=1m count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rwd1d bs=1m count=1

Then run your bioctl command, and I suspect things will work.

Nick.

Re: install on softraid

irix
Try to use dd with dev/zero on wd0d and wd1d it was successed. But
bioctl return same error invalid metadata format.

10.04.2011 04:30, Marco Peereboom P?P8QP5Q:
> There is some garbage in the location where softraid looks for metadata.
> I got recently inspired to look at this because it looks like the force
> flag isn't always honored.  For now do a couple of dd's from /dev/zero.
>
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 01:57:35PM +0300, irix wrote:
>> Also I try to add wd0d and wd1d with same commad but system return
>> me same error invalid metadata format.
>> Why this error is happening ?

Re: install on softraid

Ted Roby
On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM, irix <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Try to use dd with dev/zero on wd0d and wd1d it was successed. But bioctl
> return same error invalid metadata format.

Make sure you have enough devices.

# cd dev
# sh MAKEDEV sd1
# sh MAKEDEV sd2
# sh MAKEDEV sd3

Make sure you are very familiar with bioctl(8) and softraid(4).

man softraid && man bioctl

In disklabel, wd0d and wd1d should be marked as type RAID.
Make sure these partitions are NOT 4.2BSD partitions.

Do the 'dd' deed as directed by others, then get your bioctl on.

Once bioctl creates your new volume, then you must once
again fdisk, disklabel and newfs your new volume.

Re: install on softraid

irix
Thanks Ted. All works fine now. May I use softraid 0+1 (raid10) discipline ?