image editor

Frank Bax
I'm looking for basic image editor: crop, resize, lossless jpg rotation.

Something minimalistic would be nice, so GIMP is out.

Re: image editor

Nick Guenther
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Frank Bax <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm looking for basic image editor: crop, resize, lossless jpg rotation.
>
> Something minimalistic would be nice, so GIMP is out.

This will force KDE libs on your system, but KolourPaint is actually
really really good. I'm not sure what package it's in, if it is in
one, but you can always build from source.

Re: image editor

Todd Alan Smith-3
On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Frank Bax <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm looking for basic image editor: crop, resize, lossless jpg rotation.
>
> Something minimalistic would be nice, so GIMP is out.

I like ImageMagick for such tasks. Command line fits your minimalistic
requirement. It's in Packages.

Re: image editor

Paul M-7
As far as I'm aware, you wont get lossless jpeg rotation.

There does appear to be an orientation tag of some sort in the jpeg
header, so rewriting that could cause a jpeg to be displayed with a
different orientation. I'm not aware of any software that will do
this however.

All editors that I've seen will re-encode a jpeg whenever any change
is made. Whenever that happens, you'll lose information.
(Actually, lossless jpeg encoding is possible but I've never seen a
publicly available app or library that impliments it.)

paulm

On 8/10/2009, at 10:38 AM, Frank Bax wrote:

> I'm looking for basic image editor: crop, resize, lossless jpg
> rotation.
>
> Something minimalistic would be nice, so GIMP is out.

Re: image editor

Paul M-7
I should have checked first - Google tells me there are quite a few
lossless jpeg rotators. A quick ckeck showed qite a few hits for
windows apps, 'lossless jpeg open source' turned up lots of hits too,
perhaps there's something there ...

sorry for the noise.

paulm

On 8/10/2009, at 10:38 AM, Frank Bax wrote:

> I'm looking for basic image editor: crop, resize, lossless jpg
> rotation.
>
> Something minimalistic would be nice, so GIMP is out.

Re: image editor

Martin Schröder
2009/10/8 Paul M <[hidden email]>:
> As far as I'm aware, you wont get lossless jpeg rotation.

NACK, http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/jpegtran/

Best
   Martin

Re: image editor

Vadim Zhukov
On 8 October 2009 c. 02:48:32 Paul M wrote:

> As far as I'm aware, you wont get lossless jpeg rotation.
>
> There does appear to be an orientation tag of some sort in the jpeg
> header, so rewriting that could cause a jpeg to be displayed with a
> different orientation. I'm not aware of any software that will do
> this however.
>
> All editors that I've seen will re-encode a jpeg whenever any change
> is made. Whenever that happens, you'll lose information.
> (Actually, lossless jpeg encoding is possible but I've never seen a
> publicly available app or library that impliments it.)
>

> paulm

AFAIK, Gwenview/digiKam/other ones using kipi plugins can. But better
check it by yourself.

--
  Best wishes,
    Vadim Zhukov

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Re: image editor

Paul de Weerd
For lossless rotation, add jhead (pkg available) to the mix. `jhead
-autorot *.[Jj][Pp]{,[Ee]}[Gg]` reads the orientation tag and rotates
your images (lossless) if required. I have a scipt that automates
grabbing the pictures from CF/SD and rotating them using a similar
command before storing them in my archive.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:48:32AM +1300, Paul M wrote:

> As far as I'm aware, you wont get lossless jpeg rotation.
>
> There does appear to be an orientation tag of some sort in the jpeg
> header, so rewriting that could cause a jpeg to be displayed with a
> different orientation. I'm not aware of any software that will do
> this however.
>
> All editors that I've seen will re-encode a jpeg whenever any change
> is made. Whenever that happens, you'll lose information.
> (Actually, lossless jpeg encoding is possible but I've never seen a
> publicly available app or library that impliments it.)
>

> paulm
>

> On 8/10/2009, at 10:38 AM, Frank Bax wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for basic image editor: crop, resize, lossless jpg
>> rotation.
>>
>> Something minimalistic would be nice, so GIMP is out.

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: image editor

Rene Maroufi-3
On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:48:32AM +1300, Paul M wrote:

> All editors that I've seen will re-encode a jpeg whenever any change
> is made. Whenever that happens, you'll lose information.
> (Actually, lossless jpeg encoding is possible but I've never seen a
> publicly available app or library that impliments it.)

jpegtran is losless. Its part of the jpeg-Package.

Regards
Reni
--
Reni Maroufi