ifconfig bwi0 - no such interface

elk_aide
Hello list, how are you doing?

I just installed a current OpenBSD snapshot and am having trouble using the
Wifi.

I already downloaded and installed the bwi-firmware, as that was one of the
ones displayed on boot as a required one.

Now if I try to use the device, as in 'ifconfig bwi0 scan' I get 'ifconfig: no
such interface'.

In dmesg I found the line

'bwi0 at pci10 dev0 function 0 "Broadcom BCM4331" rev 0x02: disabled' .

What is happening there? How can I 'enable' the device?

Thanks a lot, and have a good one.

Re: ifconfig bwi0 - no such interface

Stefan Sperling-5
On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 05:45:25PM -0000, elk_aide wrote:

> Hello list, how are you doing?
>

> I just installed a current OpenBSD snapshot and am having trouble using the
> Wifi.
>
> I already downloaded and installed the bwi-firmware, as that was one of the
> ones displayed on boot as a required one.
>
> Now if I try to use the device, as in 'ifconfig bwi0 scan' I get 'ifconfig: no
> such interface'.
>
> In dmesg I found the line
>
> 'bwi0 at pci10 dev0 function 0 "Broadcom BCM4331" rev 0x02: disabled' .
>

> What is happening there? How can I 'enable' the device?

You cannot. There is no actual driver code for chip 4331 chips.

See the bottom of the bwi(4) man page:

CAVEATS
[...]
     The BCM4331 chip isn't supported by this driver but the driver disables
     the chip if detected, since some buggy EFI revisions found in 2011-2012
     Macs leave the chip enabled, causing it to emit spurious interrupts when
     the shared interrupt line is enabled.

Re: ifconfig bwi0 - no such interface

elk_aide
> > What is happening there? How can I 'enable' the device?

> You cannot. There is no actual driver code for chip 4331 chips.

I see, thanks for the quick response.

That fw_update was listing firmware for it made me think the device would be
supported,

but I guess it only checks if there is a driver that needs firmware
recognizing a built in device.

This is true for bwi and the 4331 chips, even though the only functionality
provided is disabling the device.

Cheers