ideas to why it is so slow.

mikesteinfeld
Awhile back I had said that when my mini is plugged into my apple 20"
display it is extremely slow writing output to the display...

Can someone please explain to me this issue and how I can possibly
fix it?

I don't think it is unique to me.

My Mini is not running 3.9-beta but the results are the same with 3.8*

any suggestions would be appreciated.

--mike

Re: ideas to why it is so slow.

Joel Rees
On 2006.1.29, at 03:51 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Awhile back I had said that when my mini is plugged into my apple 20"
> display it is extremely slow writing output to the display...
>
> Can someone please explain to me this issue and how I can possibly fix
> it?
>
> I don't think it is unique to me.

If it were not unique to you, I'm sure someone would have spoken up.

I'd love to try to confirm the issue, but I don't have an Apple Cinema
display. I do have it connected directly via the DVI rather than
through the vga adapter, but the monitor is not an Apple monitor.
Unless the pace of the scrolling being almost slow enough to read is
not a planned feature, I see no particular problems in the console.
Have not tried X yet.

> My Mini is not running 3.9-beta but the results are the same with 3.8*
>
> any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> --mike

Since you're the one hooking an Apple Cinema display to a Mac Mini
running obsd, I'm going to guess that you're the point man for now.

For some reason, things to check are not coming into mind right at the
moment, other than getting a spec for the DVI interface, wiring a
breakout box, and riding the wires with an oscilloscope. Or compiling a
custom kernel with some kind of code in the video to count the various
video interrupts per second.