i3 getting killed by pledge

Matthieu Herrb-7
Hi,

I'm running i3 on one of my amd64 machines. Recently, it started to crash
with "

i3[12345]: pledge "dns", syscall 97

in /var/log/messages

There's something wrong here. I don't see recent changes in the pledge
patches for i3 in ports, so I guess it must be some system related
changes (or something in my environment, but I don't see what).
Matthieu Herrb

Re: i3 getting killed by pledge

Kenneth R Westerback-2
On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 05:19:52PM +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running i3 on one of my amd64 machines. Recently, it started to crash
> with "
>
> i3[12345]: pledge "dns", syscall 97
>
> in /var/log/messages
>
> There's something wrong here. I don't see recent changes in the pledge
> patches for i3 in ports, so I guess it must be some system related
> changes (or something in my environment, but I don't see what).
> --
> Matthieu Herrb

I'm using i3 and I haven't experienced this (yet).

I build my own snaps and ports (no local changes to i3!) so I guess
there is room for differences and I haven't updated i3 since Dec 19.

I've uploaded my config to cvs as ~krw/config if you want to compare.

.... Ken

Re: i3 getting killed by pledge

Theo de Raadt-2
Well, someone screwed up.

This program does a "dns" lookup, when it hasn't been coded to enable
dns lookups in pledge.  It is as simple as that.

I am always amazed people who run into these issues don't immediately
use ktrace + repeat the problem, then kdump, and then determine what
usage pattern led to that failure condition, and try to self-help

It is not difficult.