httpd and Server Side Includes

Peter Fraser-2
There are several web site that I should do something about.
When It was announced that OpenBSD Apache was being replaced,
I first looked at nginx which was to be the replacement , then into the new HTTPD.

The web sites that are involved make heavy use of Server Side Includes
which the new httpd does not yet have any support.
In particular the web sites use SSI to include files often need Perl or PHP.

I looked at p5-CGI-SSI which does not appear to handle where the included files
contain anything other than other SSI directives.

I see, through search with google, that it has been suggested to have a fastcgi program
handle SSI, like the method used by thhttp, which would by ok if it deals with
the imbedded Perl, PHP etc.

At the moment I intend to use nginx, because of the SSI problem.

Re: [Bulk] httpd and Server Side Includes

Kevin Chadwick-2
On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 19:13:13 +0000
Peter Fraser wrote:

> At the moment I intend to use nginx, because of the SSI problem.

You can use pound for ssi ssl and httpd behind it if you want to?

Re: httpd and Server Side Includes

Florian Obser-2
On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 07:13:13PM +0000, Peter Fraser wrote:
> The web sites that are involved make heavy use of Server Side Includes
> which the new httpd does not yet have any support.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm fairly certain that we won't implement
it.

> In particular the web sites use SSI to include files often need Perl or PHP.

This will not happen, ever.

> At the moment I intend to use nginx, because of the SSI problem.

Seems reasonable. httpd(8) does not try to be the all singing all
dancing http daemon. Use the right tool for the job. For some jobs
that might be nginx, for others that might be httpd(8).

Also note that there is a port of the old apache that was in base.
And there is a port for 2.x, so much software to chose from...

I'm not entirely sure you are real.

Re: httpd and Server Side Includes

worik
I have been digging a bit to find the correct software to use for a
little website that makes some light use of SSI and I came upon this.  I
have some questions about it

On 07/03/15 08:42, Florian Obser wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 07:13:13PM +0000, Peter Fraser wrote:
>> The web sites that are involved make heavy use of Server Side Includes
>> which the new httpd does not yet have any support.
>
> I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm fairly certain that we won't implement
> it.

Why is that?

[snip]

> Seems reasonable. httpd(8) does not try to be the all singing all
> dancing http daemon. Use the right tool for the job. For some jobs
> that might be nginx, for others that might be httpd(8).

What are the sorts of jobs that httpd is the right tool for?  Is it only
serving static HTML?

I have seen some reference to "slow CGI" but my needs and research have
not gone there.  Does httpd support CGI?

cheers
Worik

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
       [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804

--
Why is the legal status of chardonnay different to that of cannabis?
                  [hidden email] 021-1680650, (03) 4821804
                          Aotearoa (New Zealand)
                             I voted for love

Re: httpd and Server Side Includes

Chris Cappuccio
worik [[hidden email]] wrote:

> > I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm fairly certain that we won't implement
> > it.
>
> Why is that?

Because Server Side Includes are basically a custom Apache scripting
language. Most people use a different scripting language, even with Apache,
not SSI. httpd can already talk to other language launchers through fcgi,
such as php with php-fpm.

I think SSI is a textbook example of features that won't ever be included
in httpd. It's the broken, rusty area underneath the faucet of your kitchen
sink.

> What are the sorts of jobs that httpd is the right tool for?  Is it only
> serving static HTML?

Actually many people use it for dynamic content. Reyk Floeter, the author,
even wrote up a guide for running owncloud under httpd. Search google for it.

> I have seen some reference to "slow CGI" but my needs and research have
> not gone there.  Does httpd support CGI?

httpd supports the "Fast CGI" interface to talk to external launchers.
Programs that use Fast CGI or fcgi are typically designed to serve demanding
environments which may require hundreds of pre-launched scripts, ready to
start running as soon as a connection comes in. Or, a hundred.

One such program that supports the httpd fcgi interface is "slowcgi". This
is a simple fcgi interface that launches a regular CGI upon each request,
without the capability to pre-launch anything. It's fine for CGI programs
which worked under Apache.