hppa packages

Grégoire Hubert
Hi,

I wanted to revive an old HP 712/60 workstation and unfortunately
Linux based Debian 7 or 8 could not manage to work with as few as
128Mb of RAM. I then discovered OpenBSD had a HPPA port so I decided
to give it a try. It went like a charm, thank you so much people for
the neat work.

Now I have a CLI system, I want to install odd things like bash
(needed by some scripts) but every time I run `pkg_info -Q bash` it
replies "http://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.6/packages/hppa/: no
such dir" which is true, this dir does not exist. I have looked over
the web if I could find a package repo for HPPA for OpenBSD 6.6 but no
luck. Did I do something wrong?

Best Regards,
Grégoire HUBERT

Re: hppa packages

Tom Lane
=?UTF-8?Q?Gr=C3=A9goire_Hubert?= <[hidden email]> writes:
> Now I have a CLI system, I want to install odd things like bash
> (needed by some scripts) but every time I run `pkg_info -Q bash` it
> replies "http://ftp.fr.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.6/packages/hppa/: no
> such dir" which is true, this dir does not exist. I have looked over
> the web if I could find a package repo for HPPA for OpenBSD 6.6 but no
> luck. Did I do something wrong?

When I did this a year or two back (with 6.4), I couldn't find any
package repo so I built the ones I needed as per

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/ports.html

This is tedious, and I ran into more than one package that
clearly wasn't interested in building on any non-Intel
platforms :-(.  But I got enough of a working environment
to do what I needed.  Looking at my notes, the main thing
that wasn't terribly clear from the FAQ was that you are
supposed to configure it so that builds happen
inside /usr/obj, like this:

$ cat /etc/mk.conf
WRKOBJDIR=/usr/obj/ports
DISTDIR=/usr/src/distfiles
PACKAGE_REPOSITORY=/usr/obj/packages

If you let it build directly in /usr/ports you will likely
run out of disk space because (if you let the installer
do what it wants) that's not a very large partition.

                        regards, tom lane