hplip questions

gjones5555
I using the hplip-gui (current) on "OpenBSD 4.6-current (GENERIC.MP)
#393: Wed Jan 20 06:54:30 MST 2010
[hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP" to set
up my printer "ugen0 at uhub2 port 1 "hp deskjet 5550" rev 2.00/1.00
addr 2" with the hpcups driver.  _cups can write to /dev/ugen?.??, ulpt
is disabled and hp-setup finds my printer.

To get it to work, I had to change the permissions on
/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/hp from 555 to 700  (the same as
/usr/local/libexec/cups/backend/lpd).  Am I misunderstanding something
or is this necessary?

Also, when attempting to set up the printer using hp-setup, I am asked
for a PPD file.  Looking at the source, there are PPDs provided for HP
Cups (hplip-3.9.8/ppd/hpcups/*.ppd.gz).  Although the CVS PLIST-libs
note "no need to depend on foomatic-filters because hpcups uses its own
cups raster and hpijs uses the bundled foomatic-rip-hplip", it appears
HP Cups uses PPD files to get printer information.  Is the PPD necessary?

The printer prints but the testpage is erratic.

Greg