how to install OpenBSD in a computer with Linux and Grub2

how to install OpenBSD in a computer with Linux and Grub2

Salvador Fandino
AFAIK, this procedure is not documented in any place and it is quite
handy in order to install OpenBSD on boxes that already have a recent
Linux inside and use grub2 as the boot manager:

0) do any preparatory work needed: backup your data, resize your
partitions, create a new one for OpenBSD, etc.

1) download bsd.rd and move it to the Linux root partition:

   # wget ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/i386/bsd.rd
   # mv bsd.rd /openbsd.rd

2) add the following entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom

   menuentry "Install OpenBSD from RAM disk" {
     set root=(hd0,1)
     kopenbsd /openbsd.rd
   }

replacing (hd0,1) by the partition id corresponding to the Linux root
file system.

(you may need to modify also /etc/default/grub in order to make grub2
menu visible)

3) regenerate grub configuration:

   # update-grub

4) reboot:

   # reboot

5) When the grub menu pops up select "Install OpenBSD from RAM disk"

... and install OpenBSD

Cheers,

- Salva

Re: how to install OpenBSD in a computer with Linux and Grub2

Vivien MOREAU
Tuesday 06 Apr 2010 ` 13:27:33 (+0200), Salvador Fandino a icrit :

> AFAIK, this procedure is not documented in any place [...]

<http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/etc/etc.i386/INSTALL.linux?rev=1.15>

 :-)
Vivien MOREAU

Re: how to install OpenBSD in a computer with Linux and Grub2

aaron.lewis1989 (Bugzilla)
On 04/06/2010 07:27 PM, Salvador Fandino wrote:

> AFAIK, this procedure is not documented in any place and it is quite
> handy in order to install OpenBSD on boxes that already have a recent
> Linux inside and use grub2 as the boot manager:
>
> 0) do any preparatory work needed: backup your data, resize your
> partitions, create a new one for OpenBSD, etc.
>
> 1) download bsd.rd and move it to the Linux root partition:
>
>   # wget ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.6/i386/bsd.rd
>   # mv bsd.rd /openbsd.rd
>
> 2) add the following entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom
>
>   menuentry "Install OpenBSD from RAM disk" {
>     set root=(hd0,1)
>     kopenbsd /openbsd.rd
>   }
>
> replacing (hd0,1) by the partition id corresponding to the Linux root
> file system.
>
> (you may need to modify also /etc/default/grub in order to make grub2
> menu visible)
>
> 3) regenerate grub configuration:
>
>   # update-grub

I'm on Gentoo Linux , so i think normally you should try with
`grub-mkconfig'
e.g grub-mkconfig > /tmp/grub.cfg && cp /tmp/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Not all system ships with `update-grub' script.

--
Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x4A6D32A0
irc: A4r0n on freenode

On 04/06/2010 01:40 PM, Vivien MOREAU wrote:
> Tuesday 06 Apr 2010 ` 13:27:33 (+0200), Salvador Fandino a icrit :
>
>> AFAIK, this procedure is not documented in any place [...]
>
> <http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/etc/etc.i386/INSTALL.linux?rev=1.15>

That is a different thing, the procedure there explains how to boot an
OpenBSD system from grub once it has been already installed on the
machine hard disk.

The procedure I have described shows how to *install* OpenBSD booting
from a RAM disk (bsd.rd) placed in a Linux partition. Basically it
removes the need to create a booting floppy or to burn a CD in order to
install OpenBSD.

- Salva

Re: how to install OpenBSD in a computer with Linux and Grub2

Lars Nooden-2
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Salvador Fandino wrote:
> The procedure I have described shows how to *install* OpenBSD booting from a
> RAM disk (bsd.rd) placed in a Linux partition. Basically it removes the need
> to create a booting floppy or to burn a CD in order to install OpenBSD.

It documents how to do it using grub2, which is IMHO much
more complex than old grub.

/Lars

Re: how to install OpenBSD in a computer with Linux and Grub2

Luiz Gustavo dos S. Costa
> AFAIK, this procedure is not documented in any place and it is quite handy
> in order to install OpenBSD on boxes that already have a recent Linux inside
> and use grub2 as the boot manager:

Hi, your save my life :-)

--
Luiz Gustavo Costa (Powered by BSD)