how can I get a dmesg (without a floppy or serial console port)?

how can I get a dmesg (without a floppy or serial console port)?

hepta tor
Is there any way (physical settings / cables) to get a dmesg from a
laptop that has neither a floppy nor a serial console port (no ssh
either)?
10x
-h

Re: how can I get a dmesg (without a floppy or serial console port)?

Shane Lazarus
Heya

Any network connectivity at all?

Otherwise, mount a USB stick and dmesg > file...

On 5/27/13, Shane Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Heya
>
> Any network connectivity at all?

nope - that would be easy through ssh.

> Otherwise, mount a USB stick and dmesg > file...

well if the system crashes there is now way I could mount a USB and
copy the dmesg. I was wondering whether there are some hacks with
network cables or some physical hacks to connect two machines directly
to get the dmesg from one to another.
-h

> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Heptas Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there any way (physical settings / cables) to get a dmesg from a
>> laptop that has neither a floppy nor a serial console port (no ssh
>> either)?
>> 10x
>> -h

Re: how can I get a dmesg (without a floppy or serial console port)?

STeve Andre'
On 05/27/13 19:52, Heptas Torres wrote:
> Is there any way (physical settings / cables) to get a dmesg from a
> laptop that has neither a floppy nor a serial console port (no ssh
> either)?
> 10x
> -h

You have two options: 1) video tape it and transcribe it, or 2) take
the disk out of the machine and put it on another, so you can grab
the dmesg output.

--STeve Andre'

Re: how can I get a dmesg (without a floppy or serial console port)?

Josh Grosse
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:06:10AM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:

> On 5/27/13, Shane Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Heya
> >
> > Any network connectivity at all?
>
> nope - that would be easy through ssh.
>
> > Otherwise, mount a USB stick and dmesg > file...
>
> well if the system crashes there is now way I could mount a USB and
> copy the dmesg. I was wondering whether there are some hacks with
> network cables or some physical hacks to connect two machines directly
> to get the dmesg from one to another.

If the crash is able to dump core to swap, on reboot, savecore(8) runs, and
your dmesg will be within the stored dump.  Refer to crash(8) and the -M and
-N options of dmesg(8).

On 5/28/13, Josh Grosse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:06:10AM +0000, Heptas Torres wrote:
>> On 5/27/13, Shane Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Heya
>> >
>> > Any network connectivity at all?
>>
>> nope - that would be easy through ssh.
>>
>> > Otherwise, mount a USB stick and dmesg > file...
>>
>> well if the system crashes there is now way I could mount a USB and
>> copy the dmesg. I was wondering whether there are some hacks with
>> network cables or some physical hacks to connect two machines directly
>> to get the dmesg from one to another.
>
> If the crash is able to dump core to swap,

Is there any way I can figure out if that's the case?

> on reboot, savecore(8) runs, and

The problem is that the system panics at reboot and I am thrown into
ddb, so I guess rebooting does not even get to run savecore. See my
previous email to the list (separate thread) on where the system
panics.For now I took some pictures with the dmesg, but would still
like to figure out if there would be a way to get the dmesg without
needing a camera :)
thanks
-h