[heads up] xserver 1.8 in snapshots

Matthieu Herrb
Hi,

Recent snapshots contains one important update which is not committed
yet: xserver 1.8.

New features in xserver 1.8 include:

- VGA arbiter support, bring back multi-card based multi-head
- full Xinput2 (with MPX and input device properties)
- EXA acceleration improvements

The goal is to ship this with OpenBSD 4.8. There are probably still a
few rough edges there, so please test and report problems (with as
many details as possible - Xorg.0.log, dmesg, xorg.conf).

Tests of not-so standard configurations that do work currently for
non-regresssion are particularly important.

Report that things that didn't work still don't work will probably not
be of great interest, except if the failure mode changed in a way that
may be fixable.

Thanks.
Matthieu Herrb

Re: [heads up] xserver 1.8 in snapshots

TeXitoi-4
Matthieu Herrb <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Recent snapshots contains one important update which is not committed
> yet: xserver 1.8.
>
> The goal is to ship this with OpenBSD 4.8. There are probably still a
> few rough edges there, so please test and report problems (with as
> many details as possible - Xorg.0.log, dmesg, xorg.conf).
>
> Tests of not-so standard configurations that do work currently for
> non-regresssion are particularly important.

Fresh install of 2010-07-24 snapshot. I have no xorg.conf.

I have tested and it seems to work correctly:
 - xrandr (rotate, dual screen)
 - xv (even with one video on each screen, with mplayer)
 - OpenGL lightly tested (glxgears works)
 - compositing (xcompmgr + FadeInactive in xmonad)

I have problems with my touchpad. When I start X (using startx),
sometimes, X takes a little bit longer to start, and the touchpad does
not work. In this case,

  pckbc: command timeout
  pmsi_enable: command error

appears in the dmesg. Switching between VT and X try to take the
touchpad. Sometimes, I have the same symptomes (slower switch to X,
the messages in the dmesg and no touchpad), and sometimes, it works
OK.

It works about 1/5 of the times. One time the touchpad works, I do not
have any problem until I restart X or switch to VT.

With a snapshot 1 or 2 weeks ago, I did not have this problem. I do
not know if this is related to xserver 1.8.2.

I also have problems with X and suspend, but I cannot compare with old
behavior because suspend did not work at all with the other snapshots.

You can find dmesg and Xorg.0 here:
  http://texitoi.eu/~texitoi/OpenBSD-2010-07-24-report/

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer, but I'll be off from
the 1st to the 15th. I read tech, but not (still) x11.

Thanks for your work.

--
Guillaume Pinot               http://www.irccyn.ec-nantes.fr/~pinot/

+ Les grandes personnes ne comprennent jamais rien toutes seules, et
c'est fatigant, pour les enfants, de toujours leur donner des
explications... ; -- Antoine de Saint-Exupiry, Le Petit Prince

()  ASCII ribbon campaign      -- Against HTML e-mail
/\  http://www.asciiribbon.org -- Against proprietary attachments

Re: [heads up] xserver 1.8 in snapshots

Marten King

Testing with amd64 snapshot from July27/28 on thinkpad t60; had been
previously running on two week old snapshot.

* Resume from suspend no longer works perfectly. Video returns with
garbled colors similar to when jiggling a monitor's vga cable.
ctl-alt-bksp works to start a normal session.

* Grouping and ungrouping windows under cwm caused a crash which
returned a garbled xdm login that would not accept keyboard input.
ctl-alt-bksp reset works and gains a normal xdm login.

* Custom xorg.conf with Option declarations for
Xkblayout/XkbOptions,XkbVariant used for switching between keyboard
layouts in Section "InputDevice" no longer work.

Thanks

http://marten.sdf.org/obsd/Xorg.0.log
http://marten.sdf.org/obsd/dmesg

Re: [heads up] xserver 1.8 in snapshots

Owain Ainsworth-2
On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 07:51:27PM +0000, Marten King wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Testing with amd64 snapshot from July27/28 on thinkpad t60; had been
> previously running on two week old snapshot.
>
> * Resume from suspend no longer works perfectly. Video returns with
> garbled colors similar to when jiggling a monitor's vga cable.
> ctl-alt-bksp works to start a normal session.

I am aware of this and looking into it.

> * Grouping and ungrouping windows under cwm caused a crash which
> returned a garbled xdm login that would not accept keyboard input.
> ctl-alt-bksp reset works and gains a normal xdm login.

please read xenocara/README and get me an xserver backtrace with debug
symbols. Not the core file, the output of

bt full

in gdb.

-0-
--
Court, n.:
        A place where they dispense with justice.
                -- Arthur Train

Re: [heads up] xserver 1.8 in snapshots

Ted Roby
On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Marten King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Resume from suspend no longer works perfectly. Video returns with
> garbled colors similar to when jiggling a monitor's vga cable.
> ctl-alt-bksp works to start a normal session.

I've only experienced this partially. One terminal window under x11/xfce4
came back with similar noise of colored pixelation. I used the terminfo
'clear' sequence to redraw this particular window.

Two other terminal windows resumed normally, along with the desktop.