heads up: amd64 snap

Otto Moerbeek
It looks like some BIOS do not like the recent biosboot changes.
Symptoms are a hang in the bios.

I reverted them, the next amd64 snap should be ok again.

        -Otto

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Amit Kulkarni
Hi,

How does this show itself?

I have an older 2013 era system with Pentium G2020 or so (going from
memory here, so might be wrong), which does not go into OpenBSD
install. Just sits there with Dell logo. Only takes a Ctrl-Alt-Del
command for a reboot, and if I try to enter into BIOS, it does not. It
does not come into the OpenBSD boot prompt.

I am trying to decide if this is due to the above changes or something
else, like hardware failure etc. I last installed a snapshot on it 3
days ago, and it has never come back up. Should I try to pull the boot
hard drive into another running system, and then manually try to copy
over a clean /bsd.mp on the next snapshot?

thanks

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like some BIOS do not like the recent biosboot changes.
> Symptoms are a hang in the bios.
>
> I reverted them, the next amd64 snap should be ok again.
>
>         -Otto

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Otto Moerbeek
On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 11:03:10AM -0600, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How does this show itself?
>
> I have an older 2013 era system with Pentium G2020 or so (going from
> memory here, so might be wrong), which does not go into OpenBSD
> install. Just sits there with Dell logo. Only takes a Ctrl-Alt-Del
> command for a reboot, and if I try to enter into BIOS, it does not. It
> does not come into the OpenBSD boot prompt.
>
> I am trying to decide if this is due to the above changes or something
> else, like hardware failure etc. I last installed a snapshot on it 3
> days ago, and it has never come back up. Should I try to pull the boot
> hard drive into another running system, and then manually try to copy
> over a clean /bsd.mp on the next snapshot?
>
> thanks
>
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It looks like some BIOS do not like the recent biosboot changes.
> > Symptoms are a hang in the bios.
> >
> > I reverted them, the next amd64 snap should be ok again.
> >
> >         -Otto

Yes, this sounds very much like the issue I'm talking about.

Updating the kernel will not help. The problem is in some bad
interaction between *some* BIOS implementations and the updated
biosboot.

It is very likely that the disk will boot in another system without
issues. On that system, install the new snap when it arrives. Then you
can put the disk back in the problem system.

There are probably workarounds, like putting the disk in another
system and running an older installboot from that system on the disk
containing the trouble.  But if you do not feel comfortable doing that
please do an upgrade.

And next time please try to report this earlier. The sooner we learn
about these issues the better.

        -Otto

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Sebastien Marie-3
On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 11:03:10AM -0600, Amit Kulkarni wrote:

> Should I try to pull the boot
> hard drive into another running system, and then manually try to copy
> over a clean /bsd.mp on the next snapshot?

just to complete what otto@ already said.

the problem isn't the kernel (bsd.mp), so copying it manually will not solve the
problem. the problem is with the biosboot(8) file installed on the disk.

to quote the man page of biosboot:

        This small program (roughly 512 bytes of code) is responsible for loading
        the second-stage boot(8) program (typically /boot), which in turn will
        load the kernel.

        (see https://man.openbsd.org/biosboot.8 for complete explanation)

to install it manually, you need installboot(8) command + biosboot(8) file (by
default, it is using the one in /usr/mdec).

unplugging the disk, put it in another machine, and next doing a upgrade will
run the right command, so it is the more simple approch.

Thanks.
Sebastien Marie

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Amit Kulkarni
On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 11:15 AM Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 11:03:10AM -0600, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How does this show itself?
> >
> > I have an older 2013 era system with Pentium G2020 or so (going from
> > memory here, so might be wrong), which does not go into OpenBSD
> > install. Just sits there with Dell logo. Only takes a Ctrl-Alt-Del
> > command for a reboot, and if I try to enter into BIOS, it does not. It
> > does not come into the OpenBSD boot prompt.
> >
> > I am trying to decide if this is due to the above changes or something
> > else, like hardware failure etc. I last installed a snapshot on it 3
> > days ago, and it has never come back up. Should I try to pull the boot
> > hard drive into another running system, and then manually try to copy
> > over a clean /bsd.mp on the next snapshot?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:20 AM Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > It looks like some BIOS do not like the recent biosboot changes.
> > > Symptoms are a hang in the bios.
> > >
> > > I reverted them, the next amd64 snap should be ok again.
> > >
> > >         -Otto
> > >

> Yes, this sounds very much like the issue I'm talking about.
>
> Updating the kernel will not help. The problem is in some bad
> interaction between *some* BIOS implementations and the updated
> biosboot.
>
> It is very likely that the disk will boot in another system without
> issues. On that system, install the new snap when it arrives. Then you
> can put the disk back in the problem system.
>
> There are probably workarounds, like putting the disk in another
> system and running an older installboot from that system on the disk
> containing the trouble.  But if you do not feel comfortable doing that
> please do an upgrade.
>
> And next time please try to report this earlier. The sooner we learn
> about these issues the better.

Sorry for not reporting earlier Otto, I sincerely thought this is a
hardware related issue, and was going to wait for the weekend to try
various things.

Thanks

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Amit Kulkarni
On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 1:25 PM Sebastien Marie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 11:03:10AM -0600, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> >
> > Should I try to pull the boot
> > hard drive into another running system, and then manually try to copy
> > over a clean /bsd.mp on the next snapshot?
>
> just to complete what otto@ already said.
>
> the problem isn't the kernel (bsd.mp), so copying it manually will not solve the
> problem. the problem is with the biosboot(8) file installed on the disk.
>
> to quote the man page of biosboot:
>
>         This small program (roughly 512 bytes of code) is responsible for loading
>         the second-stage boot(8) program (typically /boot), which in turn will
>         load the kernel.
>
>         (see https://man.openbsd.org/biosboot.8 for complete explanation)
>

> to install it manually, you need installboot(8) command + biosboot(8) file (by
> default, it is using the one in /usr/mdec).
>
> unplugging the disk, put it in another machine, and next doing a upgrade will
> run the right command, so it is the more simple approch.

will do as you suggest.

Thanks

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

acampbell
On 07 Mar 2020, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
[snip]

> will do as you suggest.
>
> Thanks

This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
replaced.

I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
machine so it looks like I'm stuck.

Anthony

Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Otto Moerbeek
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 07 Mar 2020, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> [snip]
>

> > will do as you suggest.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
> on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
> refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
> next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
> replaced.
>

> I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
> machine so it looks like I'm stuck.
>

> Anthony
>
> --
> Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk

There are other ways: dd a miniroot to a usb stick, boot from that
into boot>
boot the harddisk and do an upgrade. See the boot(8) man page for details.

        -Otto

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

acampbell
On 09 Mar 2020, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > On 07 Mar 2020, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> > [snip]
> >

> > > will do as you suggest.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
> > on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
> > refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
> > next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
> > replaced.
> >

> > I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
> > machine so it looks like I'm stuck.
> >

> > Anthony
> >
> > --
> > Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk
> >

> There are other ways: dd a miniroot to a usb stick, boot from that
> into boot>
> boot the harddisk and do an upgrade. See the boot(8) man page for details.
>
> -Otto

Unfortunately I can't access the BIOS at all to tell it to boot from
the stick. Pressing F2 during boot is supposed to do this but I've
tried about a hundred times without success.

Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Theo de Raadt-2
Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09 Mar 2020, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > On 07 Mar 2020, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> > > [snip]

> > > This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
> > > on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
> > > refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
> > > next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
> > > replaced.
> > >

> > > I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
> > > machine so it looks like I'm stuck.
> > >

> > > Anthony
> > >
> > > --
> > > Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk
> > >

> > There are other ways: dd a miniroot to a usb stick, boot from that
> > into boot>
> > boot the harddisk and do an upgrade. See the boot(8) man page for details.
> >
> > -Otto
> >

> Unfortunately I can't access the BIOS at all to tell it to boot from
> the stick. Pressing F2 during boot is supposed to do this but I've
> tried about a hundred times without success.

Wow sounds like quite a drama.. it must have been IMPOSSIBLE to install
openbsd in the first place

/sarc...

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

On 2020-03-09, Anthony Campbell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately I can't access the BIOS at all to tell it to boot from
> the stick. Pressing F2 during boot is supposed to do this but I've
> tried about a hundred times without success.

Try unplugging the disk and see if you can then get into the bios menu.
Maybe with the boot order altered it will just boot from USB anyway, if
not, I have had times in the past where I've had to get past POST and
into a bootloader before powering up the disk in able to be able to wipe
something that the bios didn't like. Not sure if this is 'recommended'
but it has got me out of a hole before.

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

acampbell
On 09 Mar 2020, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 09 Mar 2020, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > On 07 Mar 2020, Amit Kulkarni wrote:
> > > [snip]

> > > This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
> > > on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
> > > refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
> > > next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
> > > replaced.
> > >

> > > I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
> > > machine so it looks like I'm stuck.
> > >

> > > Anthony
> > >
> > > --
> > > Anthony Campbell http://www.acampbell.uk
> > >

> > There are other ways: dd a miniroot to a usb stick, boot from that
> > into boot>
> > boot the harddisk and do an upgrade. See the boot(8) man page for details.
> >
> > -Otto
> >

> Unfortunately I can't access the BIOS at all to tell it to boot from
> the stick. Pressing F2 during boot is supposed to do this but I've
> tried about a hundred times without success.

Sorry, I misunderstood - I've just tried it out and I see that the
Dell will boot from the stick without needing to be told to do so by
the BIOS. I'll take that route. Apologies for the noise.

Anthony

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 04:51:00PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 09 Mar 2020, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 03:56:53PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > This discussion is very interesting. The same thing happened to me
> > > on 6 March, when after completing the upgrade my Dell Optiplex 3020
> > > refused to boot. I assumed it was a hardware failure and spent the
> > > next three days bringing up an older Acer n460 which the Dell had
> > > replaced.

yes, it looks like a hardware failure.

in my case, 4 hosts with the same motherboard model failed at the same time (I
ran sysupgrade via ansible), so hardware failure was a bit excluded.

> > > I don't have the facility at present to put the disk in another
> > > machine so it looks like I'm stuck.

I agree it could be difficult. If the disk is plugged, bios stuck. If the disk
is unplugged, bios is fine, but you can't modify the disk data.

As sthen@ said, you could try to change bios setting to make the bios to not
look at the disk. I dunno if it would work or not.

Alternatively, if you disk support hotplugging (sata disk should), try to
connect the disk after the bios started could help. If so, I would try to plug
it as soon as possible after bios init.

Depending your configuration, you could also try to use USB/SATA or USB/IDE
adapter (depending your disk), in order to plug the disk after bios init. For
me, I had problem with this method too: when my sata disk is plugged in sata
connector it is showed with 512 bytes/sector, whereas with USB/SATA connector it
showed with 4096 bytes/sector and so disklabel is incoherent.

I hope it helps.
Sebastien Marie

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Paul de Weerd
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 06:47:10PM +0100, Sebastien Marie wrote:
| On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 04:51:00PM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:

| yes, it looks like a hardware failure.

Indeed it did :)  My machine would not POST anymore (Dell Optiplex
9020; dmesg at the end)

| in my case, 4 hosts with the same motherboard model failed at the same time (I
| ran sysupgrade via ansible), so hardware failure was a bit excluded.

I only have this one machine that showed the behaviour.  Several VMs,
my gateway and my laptop worked fine so I didn't really tie it to the
bootloader changes (especially since the machine didn't POST).  I
couldn't boot from any other medium as long as the boot disk (an SSD)
was connected; my conclusion was that a failed SSD prevented the
system from POSTing (something I've seen in the past with failed
HDDs).

| I agree it could be difficult. If the disk is plugged, bios stuck. If the disk
| is unplugged, bios is fine, but you can't modify the disk data.
|
| As sthen@ said, you could try to change bios setting to make the bios to not
| look at the disk. I dunno if it would work or not.

I played around with that a little bit, but didn't get to a working
machine.

| Alternatively, if you disk support hotplugging (sata disk should), try to
| connect the disk after the bios started could help. If so, I would try to plug
| it as soon as possible after bios init.

That was a bit of a scary option for me :)

| Depending your configuration, you could also try to use USB/SATA or USB/IDE
| adapter (depending your disk), in order to plug the disk after bios init. For
| me, I had problem with this method too: when my sata disk is plugged in sata
| connector it is showed with 512 bytes/sector, whereas with USB/SATA connector it
| showed with 4096 bytes/sector and so disklabel is incoherent.

In the end, after reading Otto's mail about reverting his changes, I
connected the SSD from my not-booting machine to my laptop and
upgraded the snapshot on it.  That allowed my desktop machine to boot
properly again.

I've seen Otto's commit message from earlier today, so I will test out
the next snap on my machine tomorrow.  At least now I know not to jump
to conclusions about failing hardware :)

Thanks to Otto for his work on this area; looking forward to running
my machine on all-ffs2.

Cheers,

Paul

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

Paul de Weerd
On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 07:28:10PM +0100, Paul de Weerd wrote:
| Indeed it did :)  My machine would not POST anymore (Dell Optiplex
| 9020; dmesg at the end)

I meant: dmesg in the follow-up e-mail...

OpenBSD 6.6-current (GENERIC.MP) #38: Sat Mar  7 19:58:17 MST 2020
    [hidden email]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP
real mem = 34243903488 (32657MB)
avail mem = 33193492480 (31655MB)
mpath0 at root
scsibus0 at mpath0: 256 targets
mainbus0 at root
bios0 at mainbus0: SMBIOS rev. 2.7 @ 0xec410 (88 entries)
bios0: vendor Dell Inc. version "A22" date 02/01/2018
bios0: Dell Inc. OptiPlex 9020
acpi0 at bios0: ACPI 5.0
acpi0: sleep states S0 S3 S4 S5
acpi0: tables DSDT FACP APIC FPDT SLIC LPIT SSDT SSDT SSDT HPET SSDT MCFG SSDT ASF! DMAR
acpi0: wakeup devices UAR1(S3) RP01(S4) PXSX(S4) PXSX(S4) PXSX(S4) RP05(S4) PXSX(S4) PXSX(S4) PXSX(S4) PXSX(S4) GLAN(S4) EHC1(S3) EHC2(S3) XHC_(S4) HDEF(S4) PEG0(S4) [...]
acpitimer0 at acpi0: 3579545 Hz, 24 bits
acpimadt0 at acpi0 addr 0xfee00000: PC-AT compat
cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
cpu0: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3691.95 MHz, 06-3c-03
cpu0: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,TSC_ADJUST,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,MD_CLEAR,IBRS,IBPB,STIBP,L1DF,SSBD,SENSOR,ARAT,XSAVEOPT,MELTDOWN
cpu0: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 10 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 99MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=0.2.1.2.4, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu1: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3691.47 MHz, 06-3c-03
cpu1: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,TSC_ADJUST,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,MD_CLEAR,IBRS,IBPB,STIBP,L1DF,SSBD,SENSOR,ARAT,XSAVEOPT,MELTDOWN
cpu1: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu1: smt 0, core 1, package 0
cpu2 at mainbus0: apid 4 (application processor)
cpu2: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3691.47 MHz, 06-3c-03
cpu2: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,TSC_ADJUST,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,MD_CLEAR,IBRS,IBPB,STIBP,L1DF,SSBD,SENSOR,ARAT,XSAVEOPT,MELTDOWN
cpu2: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu2: smt 0, core 2, package 0
cpu3 at mainbus0: apid 6 (application processor)
cpu3: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3691.47 MHz, 06-3c-03
cpu3: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE,SSE3,PCLMUL,DTES64,MWAIT,DS-CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,SDBG,FMA3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,DEADLINE,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,ABM,PERF,ITSC,FSGSBASE,TSC_ADJUST,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,ERMS,INVPCID,MD_CLEAR,IBRS,IBPB,STIBP,L1DF,SSBD,SENSOR,ARAT,XSAVEOPT,MELTDOWN
cpu3: 256KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache
cpu3: smt 0, core 3, package 0
ioapic0 at mainbus0: apid 8 pa 0xfec00000, version 20, 24 pins
acpihpet0 at acpi0: 14318179 Hz
acpimcfg0 at acpi0
acpimcfg0: addr 0xf8000000, bus 0-63
acpiprt0 at acpi0: bus 0 (PCI0)
acpiprt1 at acpi0: bus 1 (RP01)
acpiprt2 at acpi0: bus 2 (RP05)
acpiprt3 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEG0)
acpiprt4 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEG1)
acpiprt5 at acpi0: bus -1 (PEG2)
acpiec0 at acpi0: not present
acpicpu0 at acpi0: C2(200@148 mwait.1@0x33), C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpicpu1 at acpi0: C2(200@148 mwait.1@0x33), C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpicpu2 at acpi0: C2(200@148 mwait.1@0x33), C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpicpu3 at acpi0: C2(200@148 mwait.1@0x33), C1(1000@1 mwait.1), PSS
acpitz0 at acpi0: critical temperature is 105 degC
acpitz1 at acpi0: critical temperature is 105 degC
acpipci0 at acpi0 PCI0: 0x00000010 0x00000011 0x00000000
acpicmos0 at acpi0
acpibtn0 at acpi0: PWRB
"PNP0C14" at acpi0 not configured
acpivideo0 at acpi0: GFX0
acpivout0 at acpivideo0: DD1F
cpu0: using VERW MDS workaround (except on vmm entry)
cpu0: Enhanced SpeedStep 3691 MHz: speeds: 3401, 3400, 3200, 3000, 2800, 2700, 2500, 2300, 2100, 1900, 1700, 1500, 1400, 1200, 1000, 800 MHz
pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Core 4G Host" rev 0x06
inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 4600" rev 0x06
drm0 at inteldrm0
inteldrm0: msi
azalia0 at pci0 dev 3 function 0 "Intel Core 4G HD Audio" rev 0x06: msi
azalia0: No codecs found
xhci0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "Intel 8 Series xHCI" rev 0x04: msi, xHCI 1.0
usb0 at xhci0: USB revision 3.0
uhub0 at usb0 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel xHCI root hub" rev 3.00/1.00 addr 1
"Intel 8 Series MEI" rev 0x04 at pci0 dev 22 function 0 not configured
puc0 at pci0 dev 22 function 3 "Intel 8 Series KT" rev 0x04: ports: 16 com
com4 at puc0 port 0 apic 8 int 19: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
com4: probed fifo depth: 0 bytes
em0 at pci0 dev 25 function 0 "Intel I217-LM" rev 0x04: msi, address b8:ca:3a:93:03:e8
ehci0 at pci0 dev 26 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x04: apic 8 int 16
usb1 at ehci0: USB revision 2.0
uhub1 at usb1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
azalia1 at pci0 dev 27 function 0 "Intel 8 Series HD Audio" rev 0x04: msi
azalia1: codecs: Realtek/0x0280
audio0 at azalia1
ppb0 at pci0 dev 28 function 0 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd4
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
ppb1 at pci0 dev 28 function 4 "Intel 8 Series PCIE" rev 0xd4: msi
pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
ahci0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "Marvell 88SE9128 AHCI" rev 0x20: msi, AHCI 1.2
ahci0: port 7: 1.5Gb/s
scsibus1 at ahci0: 32 targets
uk0 at scsibus1 targ 7 lun 0: <Marvell, 91xx Config, 1.01>
ehci1 at pci0 dev 29 function 0 "Intel 8 Series USB" rev 0x04: apic 8 int 23
usb2 at ehci1: USB revision 2.0
uhub2 at usb2 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel EHCI root hub" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 1
pcib0 at pci0 dev 31 function 0 "Intel Q87 LPC" rev 0x04
ahci1 at pci0 dev 31 function 2 "Intel 8 Series AHCI" rev 0x04: msi, AHCI 1.3
ahci1: port 0: 6.0Gb/s
ahci1: port 1: 1.5Gb/s
ahci1: port 2: 6.0Gb/s
scsibus2 at ahci1: 32 targets
sd0 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <ATA, Samsung SSD 850, EMT0> naa.5002538d41b86e4d
sd0: 953869MB, 512 bytes/sector, 1953525168 sectors, thin
cd0 at scsibus2 targ 1 lun 0: <HL-DT-ST, DVD+-RW GT80N, A103> removable
sd1 at scsibus2 targ 2 lun 0: <ATA, WDC WD60EFRX-68L, 82.0> naa.50014ee2b81f4111
sd1: 5723166MB, 512 bytes/sector, 11721045168 sectors
ichiic0 at pci0 dev 31 function 3 "Intel 8 Series SMBus" rev 0x04: apic 8 int 18
iic0 at ichiic0
spdmem0 at iic0 addr 0x50: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
spdmem1 at iic0 addr 0x51: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
spdmem2 at iic0 addr 0x52: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
spdmem3 at iic0 addr 0x53: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800
isa0 at pcib0
isadma0 at isa0
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5 irq 1 irq 12
pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
spkr0 at pcppi0
wbsio0 at isa0 port 0x2e/2 rev 0x00
vmm0 at mainbus0: VMX/EPT
uhidev0 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "RDing TEMPERHUM1V1.2" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/1, 1 report id
ukbd0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: 8 variable keys, 5 key codes
wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
uhidev1 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1 "RDing TEMPERHUM1V1.2" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ugold0 at uhidev1
uhub3 at uhub0 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "VIA Labs, Inc. USB2.0 Hub" rev 2.10/d.a0 addr 3
uhidev2 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 0 "Metadot - Das Keyboard Das Keyboard" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 4
uhidev2: iclass 3/1
ukbd1 at uhidev2: 8 variable keys, 6 key codes
wskbd2 at ukbd1 mux 1
uhidev3 at uhub3 port 4 configuration 1 interface 1 "Metadot - Das Keyboard Das Keyboard" rev 2.00/1.00 addr 4
uhidev3: iclass 3/0, 3 report ids
uhid0 at uhidev3 reportid 1: input=0, output=0, feature=7
uhid1 at uhidev3 reportid 2: input=1, output=0, feature=0
uhid2 at uhidev3 reportid 3: input=3, output=0, feature=0
uhub4 at uhub0 port 5 configuration 1 interface 0 "Texas Instruments product 0x8044" rev 2.10/1.00 addr 5
uhub5 at uhub0 port 6 configuration 1 interface 0 "Texas Instruments product 0x8044" rev 2.10/1.00 addr 6
uvideo0 at uhub0 port 9 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000" rev 2.00/0.08 addr 7
video0 at uvideo0
uaudio0 at uhub0 port 9 configuration 1 interface 3 "Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000" rev 2.00/0.08 addr 7
uaudio0: class v1, high-speed, sync, channels: 0 play, 1 rec, 2 ctls
audio1 at uaudio0
uhidev4 at uhub0 port 10 configuration 1 interface 0 "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse" rev 2.00/46.00 addr 8
uhidev4: iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev4: 16 buttons, Z and W dir
wsmouse0 at ums0 mux 0
uhidev5 at uhub0 port 10 configuration 1 interface 1 "Logitech USB Gaming Mouse" rev 2.00/46.00 addr 8
uhidev5: iclass 3/0, 17 report ids
uhid3 at uhidev5 reportid 16: input=6, output=6, feature=0
uhid4 at uhidev5 reportid 17: input=19, output=19, feature=0
ugold0: 2 sensors type si7006 (temperature and humidity)
uhub6 at uhub0 port 21 configuration 1 interface 0 "VIA Labs, Inc. USB3.0 Hub" rev 3.00/d.a1 addr 9
uhub7 at uhub1 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel Rate Matching Hub" rev 2.00/0.04 addr 2
uhub8 at uhub2 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "Intel Rate Matching Hub" rev 2.00/0.04 addr 2
vscsi0 at root
scsibus3 at vscsi0: 256 targets
softraid0 at root
scsibus4 at softraid0: 256 targets
sd2 at scsibus4 targ 1 lun 0: <OPENBSD, SR CRYPTO, 006>
sd2: 953866MB, 512 bytes/sector, 1953519473 sectors
root on sd2a (a0b80508b6693ba1.a) swap on sd2b dump on sd2b
inteldrm0: 1920x1080, 32bpp
wsdisplay0 at inteldrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0
wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
wskbd2: connecting to wsdisplay0
wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (std, vt100 emulation)
wskbd1: disconnecting from wsdisplay0
wskbd1 detached
ukbd0 detached
uhidev0 detached
ugold0 detached
uhidev1 detached
uhidev0 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 0 "RDing TEMPERHUM1V1.2" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/1, 1 report id
ukbd0 at uhidev0 reportid 1: 8 variable keys, 5 key codes
wskbd1 at ukbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
uhidev1 at uhub0 port 3 configuration 1 interface 1 "RDing TEMPERHUM1V1.2" rev 2.00/0.01 addr 2
uhidev1: iclass 3/1
ugold0 at uhidev1
ugold0: 2 sensors type si7006 (temperature and humidity)

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/

Re: heads up: amd64 snap

rgcinjp
On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 04:19:17PM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> It looks like some BIOS do not like the recent biosboot changes.
> Symptoms are a hang in the bios.
>
> I reverted them, the next amd64 snap should be ok again.
>
> -Otto

i read notice last Sat ... Mon i was in the office and updated
my "toy machine" with OpenBSD ... but not all the mirrors have
fetched the latest snapshot, yet. i got bad snapshot.

reading the whole thread it seems the most affected brand was Dell.
the "toy machine" is a Dell Vostro 470 BIOS A14.

it seems the Dell BIOS reads the disks before even going into a
boot selection menu. for this Dell, going to BIOS means selecting
the option from the "boot selection menu". HDD with bad biosboot
+ USB (install66.fs) fails to bring up the boot selection menu.
i had to remove the HDD data cable for the machine to get back
the "boot selection menu".

- rgc