hardware support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

hardware support

Isimsiz
Hello, my friends.
Can someone tell me, is this hardware will work with OpenBSD 5.6
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core
processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core
processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset
Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series
Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset
Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family
PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family
PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c4)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family
PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset
Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z77 Express Chipset LPC Controller
(rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset
Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus
Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX
650] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev
a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 09)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge
(rev 03)
06:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host
Controller

Interested of Nvidia videocard, I dont need some super 3d support, just
1920x1200 resolution.

Regards.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Jan Stary
On Feb 22 12:23:29, [hidden email] wrote:
> Interested of Nvidia videocard, I dont need some super 3d support, just
> 1920x1200 resolution.
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX
> 650] (rev a1)
> 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev
> a1)

You generally want to avoid NVIDIA, search this mailing list's archives.
You can run the card in VESA mode, but I don't think that includes 1920x1200.

See your platform at http://www.openbsd.org/plat.html
The easiest way to try is to try though. Buy an install CD,
put it in your machine, and make it [A]utoinstall; takes few minutes.

        Jan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
In reply to this post by Isimsiz
Joseph Oficre said:
> Hello, my friends.
> Can someone tell me, is this hardware will work with OpenBSD 5.6
[...]
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX
> 650] (rev a1)

AFAIK in vesa mode only.  No hardware acceleration.

> 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev
> a1)

This won't.


> Interested of Nvidia videocard, I dont need some super 3d support, just
> 1920x1200 resolution.

I guess you will be able to set up this resolution using gtf(1), but
with no 2D acceleration that will be painful.  You may try running it
with vesa driver in Linux (eg. by removing nouveau or nvidia proprietary
driver, whichever you use) and see.


If the system is now under your control, you could either buy a CD or
download an image from any mirror and boot your system.  If your disk is
in MBR format (not in GPT), you may even free a bit of space and install
OpenBSD there.  Or back up your system and do a full install.  Another
option would be to install OpenBSD to a flash drive, and boot from
there; it would be painfully slow, but will give you a simple way of
testing hardware compatibility.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Isimsiz
Yeah, i will try live USB to check it all, ty for response!

2015-02-22 12:57 GMT+03:00 Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <[hidden email]>:

> Joseph Oficre said:
> > Hello, my friends.
> > Can someone tell me, is this hardware will work with OpenBSD 5.6
> [...]
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX
> > 650] (rev a1)
>
> AFAIK in vesa mode only.  No hardware acceleration.
>
> > 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev
> > a1)
>
> This won't.
>
>
> > Interested of Nvidia videocard, I dont need some super 3d support, just
> > 1920x1200 resolution.
>
> I guess you will be able to set up this resolution using gtf(1), but
> with no 2D acceleration that will be painful.  You may try running it
> with vesa driver in Linux (eg. by removing nouveau or nvidia proprietary
> driver, whichever you use) and see.
>
>
> If the system is now under your control, you could either buy a CD or
> download an image from any mirror and boot your system.  If your disk is
> in MBR format (not in GPT), you may even free a bit of space and install
> OpenBSD there.  Or back up your system and do a full install.  Another
> option would be to install OpenBSD to a flash drive, and boot from
> there; it would be painfully slow, but will give you a simple way of
> testing hardware compatibility.
>
> --
> Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Isimsiz
BTW, is there someone with nvidia gtx 650 card and some kind of 1920x1200
resolution? Just to know im not alone in this cruel world..

PS: i've made live USB, booted, but first FAST check didnt give me any
results, just segfault on xorg -configure, need more time for it :c

2015-02-22 16:34 GMT+03:00 Joseph Oficre <[hidden email]>:

> Yeah, i will try live USB to check it all, ty for response!
>
> 2015-02-22 12:57 GMT+03:00 Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Joseph Oficre said:
>> > Hello, my friends.
>> > Can someone tell me, is this hardware will work with OpenBSD 5.6
>> [...]
>> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GTX
>> > 650] (rev a1)
>>
>> AFAIK in vesa mode only.  No hardware acceleration.
>>
>> > 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller
>> (rev
>> > a1)
>>
>> This won't.
>>
>>
>> > Interested of Nvidia videocard, I dont need some super 3d support, just
>> > 1920x1200 resolution.
>>
>> I guess you will be able to set up this resolution using gtf(1), but
>> with no 2D acceleration that will be painful.  You may try running it
>> with vesa driver in Linux (eg. by removing nouveau or nvidia proprietary
>> driver, whichever you use) and see.
>>
>>
>> If the system is now under your control, you could either buy a CD or
>> download an image from any mirror and boot your system.  If your disk is
>> in MBR format (not in GPT), you may even free a bit of space and install
>> OpenBSD there.  Or back up your system and do a full install.  Another
>> option would be to install OpenBSD to a flash drive, and boot from
>> there; it would be painfully slow, but will give you a simple way of
>> testing hardware compatibility.
>>
>> --
>> Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda-2
On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Joseph Oficre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> BTW, is there someone with nvidia gtx 650 card and some kind of 1920x1200
> resolution? Just to know im not alone in this cruel world..
>
> PS: i've made live USB, booted, but first FAST check didnt give me any
> results, just segfault on xorg -configure, need more time for it :c
>

I think xorg -configure is known to be broken, you should try just to
run startx(1) without xorg.conf file

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Dmitrij D. Czarkoff-2
In reply to this post by Isimsiz
Joseph Oficre said:
> PS: i've made live USB, booted, but first FAST check didnt give me any
> results, just segfault on xorg -configure, need more time for it :c

You have to write xorg.conf yourself.  IIRC a Monitor section and
modeline from gtf(1) would suffice.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Isimsiz
In reply to this post by Abel Abraham Camarillo Ojeda-2
I got this with VESA driver enabled:
[  1011.000] (WW) checkDevMem: failed to open /dev/xf86 and /dev/mem
        (Operation not permitted)
        Check that you have set 'machdep.allowaperture=1'
        in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot your machine
        refer to xf86(4) for details
[  1011.000]    linear framebuffer access unavailable
[  1011.008] (--) Using wscons driver on /dev/ttyC4 in pcvt compatibility
mode (version 3.32)
[  1011.021]
X.Org X Server 1.16.4
Release Date: 2014-12-20
[  1011.021] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[  1011.021] Build Operating System: OpenBSD 5.7 amd64
[  1011.021] Current Operating System: OpenBSD usf.my.domain 5.7
GENERIC.MP#858 amd64
[  1011.022] Build Date: 20 February 2015  06:16:24AM
[  1011.022]
[  1011.022] Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
[  1011.022]    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
[  1011.022] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default
setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[  1011.022] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Feb 24
05:14:41 2015
[  1011.022] (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
[  1011.022] (==) Using system config directory
"/usr/X11R6/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[  1011.022] (==) ServerLayout "X.org Configured"
[  1011.022] (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
[  1011.022] (**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
[  1011.022] (**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
[  1011.022] (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
[  1011.022] (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
[  1011.022] (==) Disabling SIGIO handlers for input devices
[  1011.022] (==) Automatically adding devices
[  1011.022] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[  1011.022] (==) Not automatically adding GPU devices
[  1011.022] (**) FontPath set to:
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/OTF/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
[  1011.022] (**) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
[  1011.022] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse'
or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
[  1011.022] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
[  1011.022] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
[  1011.022] (II) Loader magic: 0x10928860b6e0
[  1011.022] (II) Module ABI versions:
[  1011.022]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[  1011.022]    X.Org Video Driver: 18.0
[  1011.022]    X.Org XInput driver : 21.0
[  1011.022]    X.Org Server Extension : 8.0
[  1011.022] (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0fc6:1043:8427 rev 161, Mem @
0xf6000000/16777216, 0xe0000000/268435456, 0xf0000000/33554432, I/O @
0x0000e000/128
[  1011.022] (II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and
also specified in the config file.
[  1011.022] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[  1011.023] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[  1011.028] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1011.028]    compiled for 1.16.4, module version = 1.0.0
[  1011.028]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 8.0
[  1011.028] (==) AIGLX enabled
[  1011.028] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[  1011.028] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[  1011.028] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1011.028]    compiled for 1.16.4, module version = 2.3.3
[  1011.028]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[  1011.028]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
[  1011.028] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[  1011.028] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"
[  1011.028] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"
[  1011.029] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.so
[  1011.029] (II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1011.029]    compiled for 1.16.4, module version = 1.1.0
[  1011.029]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
[  1011.029] (II) Loading sub module "int10"
[  1011.029] (II) LoadModule: "int10"
[  1011.029] (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libint10.so
[  1011.029] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[  1011.029]    compiled for 1.16.4, module version = 1.0.0
[  1011.029]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
[  1011.029] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10
[  1011.029] (EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect
[  1011.029] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[  1011.029] (II) UnloadSubModule: "int10"
[  1011.029] (II) Unloading int10
[  1011.029] (II) UnloadSubModule: "vbe"
[  1011.029] (II) Unloading vbe
[  1011.029] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[  1011.029] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[  1011.029] (EE) no screens found(EE)
[  1011.030] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
[  1011.030] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"
for additional information.
[  1011.030] (EE)
[  1011.040] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.


>[  1011.029] (EE) VESA(0): Cannot read int vect
Googled, but nothing helpful :(

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Remco-2
Joseph Oficre wrote:

> I got this with VESA driver enabled:
> [  1011.000] (WW) checkDevMem: failed to open /dev/xf86 and /dev/mem
>         (Operation not permitted)
>         Check that you have set 'machdep.allowaperture=1'
>         in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot your machine
>         refer to xf86(4) for details

Did you act upon this message ?

> Googled, but nothing helpful :(

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Isimsiz
Dem, fixed it, and x server started, but in 1024x768 mode. Trying to add
1920x1200 mode via gtf and xrandr, but no outputs found. Sreen-0, Sreen0,
sreen0, monitor0 etc...what is the name of this device, cuz current xrandr
show me "Screen 0".
Its hdmi, if this information will be helpfull,

Xorg.log:
Not using built-in mode 1920x1200 (no mode of this name)
Not using built-in mode 1920x1200 (hsync out of range)

Seems it would be better to switch to built-in intel video card..


PS: i have Radeon hd 5700(juniper) card, but didnt found it on this page
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/radeon.4?query=radeon&sec=4
. Will it work?

2015-02-25 11:46 GMT+03:00 Remco <[hidden email]>:

> Joseph Oficre wrote:
>
> > I got this with VESA driver enabled:
> > [  1011.000] (WW) checkDevMem: failed to open /dev/xf86 and /dev/mem
> >         (Operation not permitted)
> >         Check that you have set 'machdep.allowaperture=1'
> >         in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot your machine
> >         refer to xf86(4) for details
>
> Did you act upon this message ?
>
> > Googled, but nothing helpful :(

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hardware support

Isimsiz
Checked my usb system on radeon hd 5700 machine and it works fine with 1920
x 1080. So i think i will swap video cards, cuz that computer uses windows
anyway.

2015-02-25 12:54 GMT+03:00 Joseph Oficre <[hidden email]>:

> Dem, fixed it, and x server started, but in 1024x768 mode. Trying to add
> 1920x1200 mode via gtf and xrandr, but no outputs found. Sreen-0, Sreen0,
> sreen0, monitor0 etc...what is the name of this device, cuz current xrandr
> show me "Screen 0".
> Its hdmi, if this information will be helpfull,
>
> Xorg.log:
> Not using built-in mode 1920x1200 (no mode of this name)
> Not using built-in mode 1920x1200 (hsync out of range)
>
> Seems it would be better to switch to built-in intel video card..
>
>
> PS: i have Radeon hd 5700(juniper) card, but didnt found it on this page
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man4/radeon.4?query=radeon&sec=4
> . Will it work?
>
> 2015-02-25 11:46 GMT+03:00 Remco <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Joseph Oficre wrote:
>>
>> > I got this with VESA driver enabled:
>> > [  1011.000] (WW) checkDevMem: failed to open /dev/xf86 and /dev/mem
>> >         (Operation not permitted)
>> >         Check that you have set 'machdep.allowaperture=1'
>> >         in /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot your machine
>> >         refer to xf86(4) for details
>>
>> Did you act upon this message ?
>>
>> > Googled, but nothing helpful :(