handling snapshot installation in production environment

handling snapshot installation in production environment

Joerg Streckfuss-2
Hi Misc,

we have to run 6.6 snapshot on one of our firewall clusters to get in
touch with the new aggr(4) driver. This driver seems to work great
whith 6.6 snapshot on a dell pe 470 with intel X710 based quadport
sfp+ nics doing LACP.

We had serious problems with the trunk(4) driver on OpenBSD 6.5 stable
which I discribed in the thread "Dell PE R740, Intel X710 QuadPort &
LACP not working".

I am new in running snapshots in production environments. Our goal is
to run the 6.6 snapshot till 6.6 will be released.

The sysupgrade tool is a nice way to install the newest snapshot, never
had a problem. But what is the correct way to install a stable release
on snapshot? Using the standard bsd.rd upgrade way?

Furthermore I'm not sure which snapshot should I run. Almost every day
there will be a fresh one. Perhaps is there a moment/date where a
freeze of the code base will be done which reflects the 6.6 release?

Thanks.

Re: handling snapshot installation in production environment

Ian Darwin
> The sysupgrade tool is a nice way to install the newest snapshot, never
> had a problem. But what is the correct way to install a stable release
> on snapshot? Using the standard bsd.rd upgrade way?

From man sysupgrade:

     -r      Upgrade to the next release.  The default is to find out if the
             system is running a release or a snapshot.  In case of release
             sysupgrade downloads the next release.

So when 6.6 is announced as released

        # sysupgrade -r

Re: handling snapshot installation in production environment

Marcus MERIGHI
Hello Joerg,

just passing on my user experience...:

[hidden email] (Joerg Streckfuss), 2019.09.02 (Mon) 10:15 (CEST):
> Furthermore I'm not sure which snapshot should I run. Almost every day
> there will be a fresh one.

you seem to be watching closely, therefore you will notice a time when
there are no new daily snapshots for a couple of days. this is usually
when the next release is tagged/built. additionally you can monitor
ports@ to see when the ports tree gets locked for the next release.

> Perhaps is there a moment/date where a
> freeze of the code base will be done which reflects the 6.6 release?

Yes, the moment I tried to describe above.

Marcus

Re: handling snapshot installation in production environment

Nick Holland
On 9/2/19 6:48 AM, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:

> Hello Joerg,
>
> just passing on my user experience...:
>
> [hidden email] (Joerg Streckfuss), 2019.09.02 (Mon) 10:15 (CEST):
>> Furthermore I'm not sure which snapshot should I run. Almost every day
>> there will be a fresh one.
>
> you seem to be watching closely, therefore you will notice a time when
> there are no new daily snapshots for a couple of days. this is usually
> when the next release is tagged/built. additionally you can monitor
> ports@ to see when the ports tree gets locked for the next release.

Careful with this ...  While this is what I used to do (which is kinda odd,
since I only run snapshots!), in recent releases, especially since the
CD production was cut out of the release process, the time between
"tagging" and resumed development and new snapshots has dropped a LOT
to the point that it's difficult to catch.  I think Ian's tip is a bit
safer.

Nick.

On 2019-09-02, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Joerg,
>
> just passing on my user experience...:
>
> [hidden email] (Joerg Streckfuss), 2019.09.02 (Mon) 10:15 (CEST):
>> Furthermore I'm not sure which snapshot should I run. Almost every day
>> there will be a fresh one.
>
> you seem to be watching closely, therefore you will notice a time when
> there are no new daily snapshots for a couple of days. this is usually
> when the next release is tagged/built. additionally you can monitor
> ports@ to see when the ports tree gets locked for the next release.

Ports lock is no indication of the state of base. The locks are independent.

>> Perhaps is there a moment/date where a
>> freeze of the code base will be done which reflects the 6.6 release?

Use sysupgrade -n and monitor the OS version number ("what
/home/_sysupgrade/bsd"). If you see 6.6-current it is post-release and
you should not install it ("rm /bsd.upgrade"), you can then wait until
actual release day and update to be sure you're running on the proper
release binaries.

Re: handling snapshot installation in production environment

Florian Obser
This will only work if you stop upgrading snapshots long before 6.6 is announced.
Otherwise you will be on 6.6-current by November 1st and -r will wait for 6.7.

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse poor formating.

Re: handling snapshot installation in production environment

Sebastian Benoit
Stuart Henderson([hidden email]) on 2019.09.02 17:58:55 -0000:

> On 2019-09-02, Marcus MERIGHI <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello Joerg,
> >
> > just passing on my user experience...:
> >
> > [hidden email] (Joerg Streckfuss), 2019.09.02 (Mon) 10:15 (CEST):
> >> Furthermore I'm not sure which snapshot should I run. Almost every day
> >> there will be a fresh one.
> >
> > you seem to be watching closely, therefore you will notice a time when
> > there are no new daily snapshots for a couple of days. this is usually
> > when the next release is tagged/built. additionally you can monitor
> > ports@ to see when the ports tree gets locked for the next release.
>
> Ports lock is no indication of the state of base. The locks are independent.
>
> >> Perhaps is there a moment/date where a
> >> freeze of the code base will be done which reflects the 6.6 release?

While a bit dated, this presentation explains what we do:

https://www.openbsd.org/papers/asiabsdcon2009-release_engineering/

Am 02.09.19 um 19:58 schrieb Stuart Henderson:
> Use sysupgrade -n and monitor the OS version number ("what
> /home/_sysupgrade/bsd"). If you see 6.6-current it is post-release and
> you should not install it ("rm /bsd.upgrade"), you can then wait until
> actual release day and update to be sure you're running on the proper
> release binaries.
This is exactly what I was searching for.

Thanks!

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment