gtk2 font issue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gtk2 font issue

frantisek holop
hi there,

i am sure quite many people have noticed that there is something
fishy with the capital T letter in the way it shows up in
gtk2 (anti-aliased) applications.

my very vague guess is that "T" might have incorrect
kerning info or something.

i was wondering if someone more versed in gtk2/x11/fonts
could shed some light on this.

here's an example:
http://geany.uvena.de/images/geany_main.png

the "Tools" menu, the "To" is clearly rendered
in a very strange way.

-f
--
one must be poor to know the luxury of giving.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gtk2 font issue

Matthieu Herrb
frantisek holop wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i am sure quite many people have noticed that there is something
> fishy with the capital T letter in the way it shows up in
> gtk2 (anti-aliased) applications.
>
> my very vague guess is that "T" might have incorrect
> kerning info or something.
>
> i was wondering if someone more versed in gtk2/x11/fonts
> could shed some light on this.
>
> here's an example:
> http://geany.uvena.de/images/geany_main.png
>
> the "Tools" menu, the "To" is clearly rendered
> in a very strange way.
>

Which OpenBSD and X  versions are you using ? Is that 4.1 or -current
with xenocara ? If you updated to xenocara, you should wipe /etc/fonts
and extract the new one from xetc.

--
Matthieu Herrb

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gtk2 font issue

frantisek holop
hmm, on Fri, May 11, 2007 at 03:26:25PM +0200, Matthieu Herrb said that

> frantisek holop wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > i am sure quite many people have noticed that there is something
> > fishy with the capital T letter in the way it shows up in
> > gtk2 (anti-aliased) applications.
> >
> > my very vague guess is that "T" might have incorrect
> > kerning info or something.
> >
> > i was wondering if someone more versed in gtk2/x11/fonts
> > could shed some light on this.
> >
> > here's an example:
> > http://geany.uvena.de/images/geany_main.png
> >
> > the "Tools" menu, the "To" is clearly rendered
> > in a very strange way.
> >
>
> Which OpenBSD and X  versions are you using ? Is that 4.1 or -current
> with xenocara ? If you updated to xenocara, you should wipe /etc/fonts
> and extract the new one from xetc.

no, not xenocara, stock 4.1.  but the example i sent is not
even openbsd, i think this is uniform with gtk2 and it's
default font's "T".  i can't speak for xenocara systems
because i haven't tried it, but i think this is the case
on any system and any app (gimp, etc) that uses gtk2.

you, as someone who probably uses xenocara, could you please
have a look and post a screenshot of any gtk2 app that
has somewhere a word with "T" in it under xenocara?
i wouldn't be surprised if it was the same.

-f
--
an idea is not responsible for fools who believe in it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gtk2 font issue

frantisek holop
hmm, on Fri, May 11, 2007 at 03:39:36PM +0200, frantisek holop said that
> no, not xenocara, stock 4.1.  but the example i sent is not
> even openbsd, i think this is uniform with gtk2 and it's
> default font's "T".  i can't speak for xenocara systems
> because i haven't tried it, but i think this is the case
> on any system and any app (gimp, etc) that uses gtk2.

another example
http://developer.gimp.org/screenshots/gimp-misc.png

the font is bigger, but the o is clearly under the T's hat.
perhaps it is intentional, but it doesn't look very good
especially with smaller font sizes.

is anybody from here active on the gtk2 devel mailing lists
and ask about this?

-f
--
you will become rich and famous unless you don't.