gnome 2.18 issues

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gnome 2.18 issues

Rodolfo Gouveia
Hi! Just installed gnome 2.18 and have some issues.
The first is with sound. Although it works with xmms, it seems Gnome doesn't
detect my soundcard. When I click on the speaker for "Volume Control"
I get this error message:

Failed to start Volume Control: Failed to execute child process
"gnome-volume-control" (No such file or directory)

I also can't use the "Network" on Nautilus. It seems to open the window, then
closes it and opens my home folder.
Below is my audio part from dmesg and also a "pkg_info | grep gnome".

clcs0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0 "Cirrus Logic CS4280/46xx CrystalClear" rev 0x01:
 irq 11
ac97: codec id 0x43525914 (Cirrus Logic CS4297A rev 4)
ac97: codec features headphone, 20 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, Crystal Semi 3D
clcs0: firmware loaded
audio0 at clcs0

gnome-applets2-2.18.0p0 applets for use with the GNOME panel
gnome-backgrounds-2.16.2 wallpapers for Gnome
gnome-desktop-2.18.1 components for the GNOME desktop
gnome-doc-utils-0.10.3p0 collection of documentation utilities for the GNOME project
gnome-icon-theme-2.18.0 base icon theme for GNOME
gnome-keyring-0.8.1 password agent for the GNOME project
gnome-menus-2.18.0  implementation of the FreeDesktop Desktop Menu Spec
gnome-mime-data-2.4.3p0 MIME and Application database for GNOME
gnome-panel-2.18.1  GNOME panel
gnome-session-2.18.0 GNOME session
gnome-terminal-2.18.0 GNOME terminal
gnome-themes-2.18.1p1 themes collection for GNOME
gnome-vfs2-2.18.1   GNOME Virtual File System
gnome2-user-docs-2.18.1 general GNOME User Documentation
gstreamer-gnome-0.8.11p14 GStreamer plugin supporting GNOME VFS
libgnome-2.18.0     libraries for the GNOME project
libgnomecanvas-2.14.0 graphics library for GNOME
libgnomekbd-2.18.1p1 keyboard configuration library
libgnomeprint-2.18.0 printing framework for GNOME
libgnomeprintui-2.18.0 user interface components for libgnomeprint
libgnomeui-2.18.1p0 user interface components for GNOME

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Mikolaj Kucharski-3
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:58:58AM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> Hi! Just installed gnome 2.18 and have some issues.
> The first is with sound. Although it works with xmms, it seems Gnome doesn't
> detect my soundcard. When I click on the speaker for "Volume Control"
> I get this error message:
>
> Failed to start Volume Control: Failed to execute child process
> "gnome-volume-control" (No such file or directory)

This part of GNOME 2.18 isn't ported yet (gnome-media).

--
best regards
q#

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse-4
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 05:46:00PM +0100, Mikolaj Kucharski wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:58:58AM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> > Hi! Just installed gnome 2.18 and have some issues.
> > The first is with sound. Although it works with xmms, it seems Gnome doesn't
> > detect my soundcard. When I click on the speaker for "Volume Control"
> > I get this error message:
> >
> > Failed to start Volume Control: Failed to execute child process
> > "gnome-volume-control" (No such file or directory)
>
> This part of GNOME 2.18 isn't ported yet (gnome-media).
here it is. mostly untested though.

cheers,
jasper

>
> --
> best regards
> q#
>
>

--
``Sapere aude!''
NedBSD: http://nedbsd.eu

media.tgz (4K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Jimmy Mitchener
In reply to this post by Rodolfo Gouveia
It's also worth noting that a lot of the newer gnome monitoring
applications depend upon HAL, which would be an utterly massive port
(it took two developers seven months to port it to freebsd). I don't
think anyone has shown interest in porting this, so you may be missing
out on a lot of applets.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Rodolfo Gouveia
In reply to this post by Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse-4
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 06:56:42PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> here it is. mostly untested though.

I had probs with the checksum, so I rebuilt it with "make makesum".
But the port works ok, although it doesn't seem to detect when I mute it or
raise/lower the volume with the hardware buttons of my thinkpad t22. I'm not
sure if it supposed to detect it, so...
Thanks!

Cheers,
Rodolfo Gouveia

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Marc Espie-2
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 06:45:23PM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 06:56:42PM +0200, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:
> > here it is. mostly untested though.
>
> I had probs with the checksum, so I rebuilt it with "make makesum".
> But the port works ok, although it doesn't seem to detect when I mute it or
> raise/lower the volume with the hardware buttons of my thinkpad t22. I'm not
> sure if it supposed to detect it, so...
> Thanks!

This problem probably means you are trying to compile some -current port
on a 4.1 -stable system, which is a bad idea for lots of reasons...

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Rodolfo Gouveia
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 01:00:44AM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:
> This problem probably means you are trying to compile some -current port
> on a 4.1 -stable system, which is a bad idea for lots of reasons...

That is not the case.
I had just upgraded to the latest snap and ran pkg_add -u on my packages.
Maybe something else? My ports tree?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Rodolfo Gouveia
In reply to this post by Rodolfo Gouveia
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:58:58AM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> I also can't use the "Network" on Nautilus. It seems to open the window, then
> closes it and opens my home folder.

Well actually it crashes, here's where (taken from the core file):

#0  0x0ce7a2cc in gnome_vfs_dns_sd_service_status_get_type ()
   from /usr/local/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.1800.1

If anyone is interested it's online here:
http://cosmico.net/tmp/nautilus.core.gz
Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Rodolfo Gouveia

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse-4
On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 04:45:05PM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:58:58AM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> > I also can't use the "Network" on Nautilus. It seems to open the window, then
> > closes it and opens my home folder.
>
> Well actually it crashes, here's where (taken from the core file):
>
> #0  0x0ce7a2cc in gnome_vfs_dns_sd_service_status_get_type ()
>    from /usr/local/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.1800.1
>
> If anyone is interested it's online here:
> http://cosmico.net/tmp/nautilus.core.gz
> Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
>
> Rodolfo Gouveia
a fix for this is being tested at the moment.

cheers,
jasper

--
``Sapere aude!''
NedBSD: http://nedbsd.eu

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Sam Fourman Jr.
On 6/10/07, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 04:45:05PM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:58:58AM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> > > I also can't use the "Network" on Nautilus. It seems to open the
> window, then
> > > closes it and opens my home folder.
> >
> > Well actually it crashes, here's where (taken from the core file):
> >
> > #0  0x0ce7a2cc in gnome_vfs_dns_sd_service_status_get_type ()
> >    from /usr/local/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.1800.1
> >
> > If anyone is interested it's online here:
> > http://cosmico.net/tmp/nautilus.core.gz
> > Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
> >
> > Rodolfo Gouveia
> a fix for this is being tested at the moment.
>
> cheers,
> jasper
>
> --
> ``Sapere aude!''
> NedBSD: http://nedbsd.eu



does anyone have a port for file-roller?

Sam Fourman Jr.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome 2.18 issues

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse-4
On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 05:05:49PM -0500, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> On 6/10/07, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 04:45:05PM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> >> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 06:58:58AM -0400, Rodolfo Gouveia wrote:
> >> > I also can't use the "Network" on Nautilus. It seems to open the
> >window, then
> >> > closes it and opens my home folder.
> >>
> >> Well actually it crashes, here's where (taken from the core file):
> >>
> >> #0  0x0ce7a2cc in gnome_vfs_dns_sd_service_status_get_type ()
> >>    from /usr/local/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so.1800.1
> >>
> >> If anyone is interested it's online here:
> >> http://cosmico.net/tmp/nautilus.core.gz
> >> Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Rodolfo Gouveia
> >a fix for this is being tested at the moment.
> >
> >cheers,
> >jasper
> >
> >--
> >``Sapere aude!''
> >NedBSD: http://nedbsd.eu
>
>
>
> does anyone have a port for file-roller?
> Sam Fourman Jr.
yes, coming up when gnome-media is imported.

jasper

--
``Sapere aude!''
NedBSD: http://nedbsd.eu