getting scrollback buffer on OpenBSD 6.3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

getting scrollback buffer on OpenBSD 6.3

Alceu R. de Freitas Jr.
Hello folks,

I'm running OpenBSD 6.3 over a Aspire One netbook, and looking for
enabling the "scrollback buffer" mentioned in the related FAQ
(http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#Scrollback).

Unfortunately, it doesn't mention which combination of platforms and
hardware combinations it is supposed to work, neither mentions how to
get a kernel with such feature enabled.

I tried to Google some info about it, but couldn't find anything that
helped.

How can I check if it should be working? SHIFT+PgUp doesn't work.

How can I check if the running kernel that I have (GENERIC.MP#107 amd64)
already has the option compiled?

If not, what do I need to enable in the kernel to have the scrollback
buffer enabled?

Thanks in advance.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting scrollback buffer on OpenBSD 6.3

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

On Aug 26, 2018 12:40 PM, Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm running OpenBSD 6.3 over a Aspire One netbook, and looking for
> enabling the "scrollback buffer" mentioned in the related FAQ
> (http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#Scrollback).
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't mention which combination of platforms and
> hardware combinations it is supposed to work, neither mentions how to
> get a kernel with such feature enabled.
>
> I tried to Google some info about it, but couldn't find anything that
> helped.
>
> How can I check if it should be working? SHIFT+PgUp doesn't work.
>
> How can I check if the running kernel that I have (GENERIC.MP#107 amd64)
> already has the option compiled?
>
> If not, what do I need to enable in the kernel to have the scrollback
> buffer enabled?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

I'm guessing

dmesg | grep drm

Should help since it won't work with inteldrm nor radeondrm.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting scrollback buffer on OpenBSD 6.3

joshua stein-3
In reply to this post by Alceu R. de Freitas Jr.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 13:28:24 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm guessing
>
> dmesg | grep drm
>
> Should help since it won't work with inteldrm nor radeondrm.

Just for the archives, scrollback support for rasops consoles (like
inteldrm and radeondrm) was added after 6.3.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: getting scrollback buffer on OpenBSD 6.3

Edgar Pettijohn III-2
In reply to this post by Alceu R. de Freitas Jr.

On Aug 26, 2018 3:18 PM, joshua stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 13:28:24 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I'm guessing
> >
> > dmesg | grep drm
> >
> > Should help since it won't work with inteldrm nor radeondrm.
>
> Just for the archives, scrollback support for rasops consoles (like
> inteldrm and radeondrm) was added after 6.3.
>
Can't wait for 6.4 then.