gettext and expat

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gettext and expat

Björn Ketelaars
I’m trying to install php5-core from ports. The build process makes use
of gettext which on its turn makes use of lib-expat from X11-base. As
I’m working on a web-server I have no need for X11 and thus I do not
want to ‘install’ the source.

Is there another option in acquiring expat which works with gettext
(expat.8.0)?

Kind Regards,

Björn

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Helmut Schneider
From: "Björn Ketelaars" <[hidden email]>

> I’m trying to install php5-core from ports. The build process makes use of
> gettext which on its turn makes use of lib-expat from X11-base. As I’m
> working on a web-server I have no need for X11 and thus I do not want to
> ‘install’ the source.
> Is there another option in acquiring expat which works with gettext
> (expat.8.0)?

I assume you are using 4.1 (I currently use 4.0 where gettext/expat does not
rely on X11).

You could try one of the following:
- use the package
(ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/packages/)
- get VMWare, install OpenBSD with X11 support, compile the package on your
own.

no_x11 does not imply that X11 is not required at compilation time.

HTH, Helmut

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Christian Weisgerber
In reply to this post by Björn Ketelaars
Björn Ketelaars <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to install php5-core from ports. The build process makes use
> of gettext which on its turn makes use of lib-expat from X11-base. As
> I'm working on a web-server I have no need for X11

Obviously you do.

Folks, get it into your heads:  The X11 libraries are very much a
part of the base system and you need to have them installed.  This
has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you have a shiny graphics
display connected to that machine.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Nikolay Sturm-2
* Damien Miller [2007-05-10]:
> I'd be more happy with this argument if installing the necessary libraries
> didn't also install setuid X11 binaries.

It doesn't have to be this way, I suggested an additional x-package just
containing libraries and support files (maybe even only freetype and
expat) before.

Nikolay

--
"It's all part of my Can't-Do approach to life." Wally

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Bj-10
In reply to this post by Christian Weisgerber
On Wed, 9 May 2007 23:19:13 +0000 (UTC), [hidden email] (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:
> Bj

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Ketelaars, Björn
In reply to this post by Björn Ketelaars
On Wed, 9 May 2007 23:19:13 +0000 (UTC), [hidden email] (Christian Weisgerber) wrote:

>> I'm trying to install php5-core from ports. The build process makes use
>> of gettext which on its turn makes use of lib-expat from X11-base. As
>> I'm working on a web-server I have no need for X11
>
> Obviously you do.
>
> Folks, get it into your heads:  The X11 libraries are very much a
> part of the base system and you need to have them installed.  This
> has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you have a shiny graphics
> display connected to that machine.


I really dislike the idea of installing binaries/libraries, which are not going to be used for a certain task/application. It's the same with the compiler; if you do not use it, do not install it.
I am wondering what the reason is for abandoning expat from ports - Xenocara maybe?

As a solution for my 'problem' I made changes to the expat-, and gettext-port.

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a 'reply' message.
 
Thank you for your co-operation.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Nikolay Sturm-2
* Ketelaars, Björn [2007-05-10]:
> I really dislike the idea of installing binaries/libraries, which are
> not going to be used for a certain task/application. It's the same
> with the compiler; if you do not use it, do not install it.

Do you use tcpdump on your webserver or sudo or ospfd or bgpd or ...?
You install all kinds of crap on your webserver that you will never use.

> I am wondering what the reason is for abandoning expat from ports -
> Xenocara maybe?

Yes, xenocara provides its own libexpat and we ran into trouble with
both, xenocara's libexpat and the expat package being installed.

Nikolay

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Todd T. Fries-3
In reply to this post by Nikolay Sturm-2
I hesitate to mention this, but I think it should be mentioned.

There is an expat in src/.  What are the plans for that?  Would solve a lot
of `must install xbase in order to get expat' complaints.  The counter is that
one already installs xbase to get libs.

I don't know if an `additional x-package' is clearly defined enough, and how
surprised would people be if xbase suddenly stopped containing libs?

On Thursday 10 May 2007 00:25:02 Nikolay Sturm wrote:
> * Damien Miller [2007-05-10]:
> > I'd be more happy with this argument if installing the necessary
> > libraries didn't also install setuid X11 binaries.
>
> It doesn't have to be this way, I suggested an additional x-package just
> containing libraries and support files (maybe even only freetype and
> expat) before.
>
> Nikolay



--
Todd Fries .. [hidden email]

 _____________________________________________
|                                             \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                 \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com             \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| "..in support of free software solutions."  \          250797 (FWD)
|                                             \
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                                                 
              37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                        http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Stuart Henderson
In reply to this post by Ketelaars, Björn
On 2007/05/10 09:28, Ketelaars, Björn wrote:

> This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for use by the
> addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential
> or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.

Everyone with an annoying corp mail system that enforces these
can at least make sure they're clearly visible as a signature,
so people know when to stop reading.

Please, separate it from the message body, ideally with '-- '
on its own line (typed by hand if it's the only way).

> Thank you for your co-operation.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Bernd Ahlers
In reply to this post by Ketelaars, Björn
Ketelaars, Björn [Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:28:32AM +0200] wrote:
>As a solution for my 'problem' I made changes to the expat-, and gettext-port.
>
cd / && \
tar -tzf xbase41.tgz | fgrep libexpat.so | xargs -r tar -xzf xbase41.tgz

Bernd

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Nikolay Sturm-2
In reply to this post by Todd T. Fries-3
* Todd T. Fries [2007-05-10]:
> There is an expat in src/.  What are the plans for that?  Would solve
> a lot of `must install xbase in order to get expat' complaints.  The
> counter is that one already installs xbase to get libs.

My understanding is, that it won't be activated until it's audited,
which has not happened for about 1.5 years now.

Nikolay

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gettext and expat

Theo de Raadt
> * Todd T. Fries [2007-05-10]:
> > There is an expat in src/.  What are the plans for that?  Would solve
> > a lot of `must install xbase in order to get expat' complaints.  The
> > counter is that one already installs xbase to get libs.
>
> My understanding is, that it won't be activated until it's audited,
> which has not happened for about 1.5 years now.

Someone just has to start gnawing away at it.