getmail question

dfeustel
I have installed getmail in my quest for a console-based pop3 mail client.
When I use getmail to retrieve  email, getmail reports that the directory named
"Maildir" is not a maildir. What makes a maildir different from a standard
directory and how is it created?

Should I try a different pop3 mail client?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel
--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"

Re: getmail question

Jochem Kossen
On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 01:15:39PM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I have installed getmail in my quest for a console-based pop3 mail client.
> When I use getmail to retrieve  email, getmail reports that the directory named
> "Maildir" is not a maildir. What makes a maildir different from a standard
> directory and how is it created?
>
> Should I try a different pop3 mail client?

http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

In other words, a typical Maildir directory consists of a cur, new and
tmp directory.

Jochem Kossen - jkossen.nl

Re: getmail question

Uwe Dippel
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 13:15:39 -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:

> When I use getmail to retrieve  email, getmail reports that the directory named
> "Maildir" is not a maildir. What makes a maildir different from a standard
> directory and how is it created?

maildirmake is probably the official answer.
(I think it is in maildrop; courier-utils ?)

Inofficially, I use 2md (http://home.uninet.ee/~ragnar/2md/) for the
conversion of the default /var/mail/ mboxes to Maildir/.
It also creates the Maildir/ for you in case of an empty mbox.
The latter would be my personal answer.
(Attention, you need Time::Zone as library)

HTH,

Uwe