games/gzdoom

Solene Rapenne
Hello

Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.

At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.

So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.

Re: games/gzdoom

Rafael Sadowski
On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> Hello
>
> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
>
> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
>
> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.

Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!

Re: games/gzdoom

Timo Myyrä-6
Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
>>
>> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
>>
>> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.
>>

> Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
Hi,

I actually have wip port of the gzdoom.
Only thing missing is the handling of the wad files. It doesn't seem to load the
files correctly but it will load them from current dir. So changing to
/usr/local/share/doom and then starting gzdoom seems to work.

Timo

gzdoom.tar.gz (2K) Download Attachment

NEW games/gzdoom

Solene Rapenne

Rafael Sadowski writes:

> On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
>>
>> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
>>
>> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.
>>

> Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
Please find a port of games/gzdoom.

About the name, the website hosting it is zdoom, but gzdoom is the
project replacing the abandoned zdoom engine, but it's hosted by zdoom
as gzdoom is a fork of zdoom that continues to live.

It requires doom 2 files in ${PREFIX}/share/doom/ for most of mods, but
you can also play doom 1, heretic, hexen etc...

A few mods to play with it for lot of fun:

- Castlevania : https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny
- Golden Souls 2 : https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-golden-souls-2

gzdoom.tgz (2K) Download Attachment

Re: games/gzdoom

Ryan Freeman
On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> Hello
>
> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.

I've poked around with it over the years.  There was a port in openbsd-wip
for it at some point, but I didn't create it.  In any case when built it
seems to mostly work now, so fly at er :-)

-ryan

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 07:01:05PM +0300, Timo Myyrä wrote:

> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
> >>
> >> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
> >>
> >> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.
> >>

> > Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
>
> Hi,
>
> I actually have wip port of the gzdoom.
> Only thing missing is the handling of the wad files. It doesn't seem to load the
> files correctly but it will load them from current dir. So changing to
> /usr/local/share/doom and then starting gzdoom seems to work.

Thanks Timo, you maybe the person that had it in openbsd-wip at some point?

For doom data directory loading, I believe it would be enough to do similar
what I did with chocolate-doom, use sed -i on one of the existing paths in
gzdoom source to switch it to look under $PREFIX/share/doom.

> Timo

Re: games/gzdoom

Ryan Freeman
On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 01:05:37PM -0700, Ryan Freeman wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 07:01:05PM +0300, Timo Myyrä wrote:
> > Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:

> > > Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I actually have wip port of the gzdoom.
> > Only thing missing is the handling of the wad files. It doesn't seem to load the
> > files correctly but it will load them from current dir. So changing to
> > /usr/local/share/doom and then starting gzdoom seems to work.
> >

> Thanks Timo, you maybe the person that had it in openbsd-wip at some point?
>
> For doom data directory loading, I believe it would be enough to do similar
> what I did with chocolate-doom, use sed -i on one of the existing paths in
> gzdoom source to switch it to look under $PREFIX/share/doom.

This file seems like it would work:
$ grep -R 'games/doom' *
src/gameconfigfile.cpp:          // Debian likes them in /usr/share/games/doom
src/gameconfigfile.cpp:         SetValueForKey ("Path", "/usr/local/share/games/doom", true);
src/gameconfigfile.cpp:         SetValueForKey ("Path", "/usr/share/games/doom", true);

> > Timo

Re: games/gzdoom

Solene Rapenne

Ryan Freeman writes:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 07:01:05PM +0300, Timo Myyrä wrote:
>> Rafael Sadowski <[hidden email]> writes:

>> > Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
>>
>> Hi,
>>
> I actually have wip port of the gzdoom.
> Only thing missing is the handling of the wad files. It doesn't seem to load the
> files correctly but it will load them from current dir. So changing to
> /usr/local/share/doom and then starting gzdoom seems to work.

I took a look and I see that we have very differents libs, I'm not sure
I dont' miss libs but I don't know how to check this...

> For doom data directory loading, I believe it would be enough to do similar
> what I did with chocolate-doom, use sed -i on one of the existing paths in
> gzdoom source to switch it to look under $PREFIX/share/doom.
> This file seems like it would work:
> $ grep -R 'games/doom' *
> src/gameconfigfile.cpp:          // Debian likes them in /usr/share/games/doom
> src/gameconfigfile.cpp:         SetValueForKey ("Path", "/usr/local/share/games/doom", true);
> src/gameconfigfile.cpp:         SetValueForKey ("Path", "/usr/share/games/doom", true);

Indeed, I should replace /usr/local/ with $PREFIX

Re: NEW games/gzdoom

Ryan Freeman
On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 07:44:41PM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:

> Rafael Sadowski writes:
>
> > On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
> >>
> >> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
> >>
> >> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.
> >>

> > Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
>
> Please find a port of games/gzdoom.
>
> About the name, the website hosting it is zdoom, but gzdoom is the
> project replacing the abandoned zdoom engine, but it's hosted by zdoom
> as gzdoom is a fork of zdoom that continues to live.
>

> It requires doom 2 files in ${PREFIX}/share/doom/ for most of mods, but
> you can also play doom 1, heretic, hexen etc...
>

> A few mods to play with it for lot of fun:
>
> - Castlevania : https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny
> - Golden Souls 2 : https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-golden-souls-2

Thanks for the port Solene!  Builds/packages a-okay on amd64, albeit:
must run with "-glversion 2", else the game just loads with a blank
black screen and gotta kill it by hand.  Second gen Intel HD:
hw.model=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Might be worth throwing a note in the pkg-readme about -glversion 2, as
I think a lot of people will need it to run the game still.

I tested all the games: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom (TNT/Plutonia),
Heretic, Hexen, Strife and Strife Veterens Edition.

Plus two mods, the Castlevania one and Knee-Deep in ZDoom Doom1 heavy mod.

All games work except hexen, hexen crashes before the screen draws:
gzdoom(99905) in free(): bogus pointer 0x1cd85b39e008
The process was killed by SIGABRT: Abort trap

I experienced some GPU hangs with KDiZD plus the Castlevania mod, the latter
which crashed as so: (likely due to gpu hangs/outside of gzdoom's hands?)
map01 - Vampire Killer

Make colormap
game saved. (/home/ryan/.config/gzdoom/auto2.zds)
Picked up a small heart.
intel_do_flush_locked failed: Input/output error
intel_do_flush_locked failed: Input/output error
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

*** Fatal Error ***
!!! Failed to exec debug process
The process was killed by SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault

Cheers,
-Ryan

Re: NEW games/gzdoom

Solene Rapenne

Ryan Freeman writes:

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 07:44:41PM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
>>
>> Rafael Sadowski writes:

>> > Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
>>
>> Please find a port of games/gzdoom.
>>
>> About the name, the website hosting it is zdoom, but gzdoom is the
>> project replacing the abandoned zdoom engine, but it's hosted by zdoom
>> as gzdoom is a fork of zdoom that continues to live.
>>

>> It requires doom 2 files in ${PREFIX}/share/doom/ for most of mods, but
>> you can also play doom 1, heretic, hexen etc...
>>

>> A few mods to play with it for lot of fun:
>>
>> - Castlevania : https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny
>> - Golden Souls 2 : https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-golden-souls-2
>>

> Thanks for the port Solene!  Builds/packages a-okay on amd64, albeit:
> must run with "-glversion 2", else the game just loads with a blank
> black screen and gotta kill it by hand.  Second gen Intel HD:
> hw.model=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
>
> Might be worth throwing a note in the pkg-readme about -glversion 2, as
> I think a lot of people will need it to run the game still.

I'm using gzdoom on a i5 and i7 and I never had to use this flag. Where
did you find this flag?

I'm ok to add it to pkg-readme if it's really needed though.

> I tested all the games: Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Final Doom (TNT/Plutonia),
> Heretic, Hexen, Strife and Strife Veterens Edition.
>
> Plus two mods, the Castlevania one and Knee-Deep in ZDoom Doom1 heavy mod.
>
> All games work except hexen, hexen crashes before the screen draws:
> gzdoom(99905) in free(): bogus pointer 0x1cd85b39e008
> The process was killed by SIGABRT: Abort trap

Looks like a bug that should be reported upstream

> I experienced some GPU hangs with KDiZD plus the Castlevania mod, the latter
> which crashed as so: (likely due to gpu hangs/outside of gzdoom's hands?)
> map01 - Vampire Killer
>
> Make colormap
> game saved. (/home/ryan/.config/gzdoom/auto2.zds)
> Picked up a small heart.
> intel_do_flush_locked failed: Input/output error
> intel_do_flush_locked failed: Input/output error
> AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed
>

> *** Fatal Error ***
> !!! Failed to exec debug process
> The process was killed by SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault

I had this with a few mods less known that others, I think it's some
code in the mods doing wrong things.

Re: NEW games/gzdoom

Timo Myyrä-6
Solene Rapenne <[hidden email]> writes:

> Rafael Sadowski writes:
>
>> On Sat Jun 30, 2018 at 11:21:28AM +0200, Solene Rapenne wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Does someone already started porting gzdoom? I would like to port it.
>>>
>>> At first I wasn't sure we would need another doom engine, but this
>>> one does opengl rendering and allow to play lot of mods which some
>>> are real games. And good news, last release compile just fine.
>>>
>>> So, if nobody is currently working on a port, i'll take care of it. If someone already have some wip port I'd be happy to continue the work.
>>>

>> Nothing on the list and nothing in openbsd-wip. Go ahead!
>
> Please find a port of games/gzdoom.
>
> About the name, the website hosting it is zdoom, but gzdoom is the
> project replacing the abandoned zdoom engine, but it's hosted by zdoom
> as gzdoom is a fork of zdoom that continues to live.
>

> It requires doom 2 files in ${PREFIX}/share/doom/ for most of mods, but
> you can also play doom 1, heretic, hexen etc...
>

> A few mods to play with it for lot of fun:
>
> - Castlevania : https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania-simons-destiny
> - Golden Souls 2 : https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-the-golden-souls-2

I'd say the port needs few more dependencies listed.

My gzdoom port had following listed:
BUILD_DEPENDS = archivers/bzip2 \
                        audio/libsndfile \
                        audio/mpg123 \
                        audio/openal \
                        devel/nasm \
                        devel/sdl2 \
                        graphics/jpeg

CONFIGURE_ARGS+= -DCMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS="-lpthread -lc++abi"

RUN_DEPENDS = audio/fluidsynth \
                        audio/generaluser-gs-soundfont \
                        audio/timidity \
                        x11/gxmessage

I don't remember why some of them are listed anymore. I made the port a while
ago. Gxmessage is needed when the game crash, the code calls gxmessage to
display messages.

When building the port on my amd64 I noticed following flags passed to build process:
-DDYN_FLUIDSYNTH
-DDYN_GTK=1
-DDYN_MPG123
-DDYN_OPENAL
-DDYN_SNDFILE
-DHAVE_FLUIDSYNTH
-DHAVE_MPG123
-DHAVE_SNDFILE

But the port make file doesn't mention them.

I think my previous problems at wad/pk3 loading were due to custom gzdoom.ini
file in ~/.config/gzdoom. After I removed it the game started with the doomdata
wad file just fine. But the starting the game takes about 11 seconds to start
for me on Thinkpad T430s with SSD drive. It seems a bit slow.

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/gzdoom.pk3, 625 lumps
 adding /usr/local/share/games/doom/zd_extra.pk3, 132 lumps
 adding /usr/local/share/doom/doom1.wad, 1264 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
  Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz
  Family 6, Model 58, Stepping 9
  Features: SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 HyperThreading
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
  Opened device SndIO Default
  EFX enabled
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 365.13 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Using video driver x11
GL_VENDOR: Intel Open Source Technology Center
GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile
GL_VERSION: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.6 (Core profile)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 3.30

Max. texture size: 8192
Max. texture units: 16
Max. varying: 128
Max. uniform block size: 65536
Uniform block alignment: 16
<... stuck here for ~11s ...>
Resolution: 640 x 480

Also, when I change the audio backends I get following messages in console:
Playing demo DEMO1
Cannot play non-GZDoom demos.
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or directory)
Unable to create WildMidi MIDI device. Falling back to GUS
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or directory)
Unable to create Timidity++ MIDI device. Falling back to GUS
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or directory)
Unable to create FluidSynth MIDI device. Falling back to GUS
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or directory)
Playing demo DEMO2

Should we add other backends so they can be used?

Here's my few notes about the port.

Timo

Re: NEW games/gzdoom

David CARLIER-2
HI,

Sorry to intervene but

All games work except hexen, hexen crashes before the screen draws:
gzdoom(99905) in free(): bogus pointer 0x1cd85b39e008
The process was killed by SIGABRT: Abort trap

Is changing the line into the file rawpagetexture.cpp

{
      free(foo);

{
     M_Free(foo);

is solving the issue ?

Kind regards.

Re: NEW games/gzdoom

David CARLIER-2
If it does you can always cherry-pick this commit.

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/commit/2a59327aebcdea245c96dddcb255ed15f8c38c05

Cheers.