future direction of /var/tmp

dan mclaughlin
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 08:52:30 -0700 (MST) Antoine Jacoutot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> CVSROOT: /cvs
> Module name: src
> Changes by: [hidden email] 2014/11/26 08:52:30
>
> Modified files:
> usr.sbin/sysmerge: sysmerge.8 sysmerge.sh
>
> Log message:
> Drop sysmerge.log ; it used to be handy for batch mode but now the
> console output is clear and clean in that mode.
>
> Since /var/tmp is now a symlink to /tmp:
> - directly use /tmp
> - if modifications were done; at the end of the run:
> - display our backup directory (in case we want to move it to survive a reboot)
> - display where and what files are still left for comparison
>
> discussed with and ok sthen@

what are the future plans with regards to /var/tmp? obviously it will be
around for a while, but is there a general intention to change it to /tmp
as implied above? this is timely for me, because i just thought about this
when doing ports, where PKG_TMPDIR=/var/tmp, and was about to ask: are (some)
diffs welcome for this?