Quantcast

framebuffer console video settings

Allan Streib-2
I'm running OpenBSD 6.0 release (amd64).

I have a Radeon video card. I recently got a pair of new Dell 25"
monitors. When I boot the system, initially I see the VGA console and
then it switches to framebuffer mode and the display goes blank,
replaced by a message from the monitor firmware that asks me to set my
video card to "2560 x 1140 60Hz"

dmesg does show this detected, and X.org works fine.

    $ dmesg | grep radeon
    radeondrm0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0 "ATI Radeon HD 4670" rev 0x00
    drm0 at radeondrm0
    radeondrm0: msi
    radeondrm0: 2560x1440
    wsdisplay0 at radeondrm0 mux 1: console (std, vt100 emulation), using wskbd0

Is there a way to change the video mode for the framebuffer console? I
don't boot directly into a graphical desktop so I have to do a "blind"
console login and then run startx.

I found a section in the FAQ that discusses setting a different console
font and resolution but it's noted that "The instructions below will not
work on modern graphics hardware that uses the drm(4) driver."

Thanks,

Allan