firefox leaking memory badly

f.holop
hi there,

firefox-5.0p1       Mozilla web browser

using this version opening a single tab with a periodically
refreshing zabbix graph page firefox slowly but steadily grows
until its ulimit and after that becomes highly unresponsive.
after closing this tab all memory is freed and firefox returns
to it's previous size.  can anybody reproduce this?

the images are png, there were some big png changes lately,
could it be connected?

-f
i'm not overweight, i'm undertall! -- garfield

Re: firefox leaking memory badly

roberth-5
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 01:28:00 +0200
frantisek holop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> firefox-5.0p1       Mozilla web browser
>
> using this version opening a single tab with a periodically
> refreshing zabbix graph page firefox slowly but steadily grows
> until its ulimit and after that becomes highly unresponsive.
> after closing this tab all memory is freed and firefox returns
> to it's previous size.  can anybody reproduce this?
>
> the images are png, there were some big png changes lately,
> could it be connected?
>
> -f

i can confirm the "memleak" that ultimatly bumps into the data ulimit.
myself i see it with the transmission webinterface.
switching tabs clears some of the memory, leaving the/a "refreshing" tab
open for to long just silently kills firefox for me.

i don't think it is related to the png stuff, as i expirienced this
behaviour on the 4.x branch also.

still haven't gotten around to put more memory into this machine so i
can build a -debug version that might give a clue.

        - Robert

Re: firefox leaking memory badly

f.holop
hmm, on Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:09:06PM +0200, roberth said that
> i can confirm the "memleak" that ultimatly bumps into the data ulimit.

correct.  ulimit stops it.  but firefox becomes even more
sluggish if that is possible.  and it gets worse:

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE     WAIT      TIME    CPU COMMAND
 9705 f          2    0  591M  599M sleep/0   poll     71:32 22.27% firefox-bin

note that RES is around 600M.  closing the offending tab does not
reclaim memory.  but when i close firefox, my free memory goes
from 549M to 1990M (2G RAM in the notebook).

who do i have to kill to get opera working again?
state of browsers on unix is a disgrace, trapped between
the firefox monster and webkit's grip.

it would be quite nice to have a prebuilt firefox-debug package
but i guess it must be a monster to build...

-f
i'll mention you on my organ donor card.

Re: firefox leaking memory badly

roberth-5
On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 01:02:35 +0200
frantisek holop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hmm, on Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 11:09:06PM +0200, roberth said that
> > i can confirm the "memleak" that ultimatly bumps into the data
> > ulimit.
>
> correct.  ulimit stops it.  but firefox becomes even more
> sluggish if that is possible.

with default ulimit of 512MB i see the "slow" wtf is going on...
but shortly after firefox just dissapeares for me,
no error, it just quits.

Re: firefox leaking memory badly

Brett Mahar-2

> who do i have to kill to get opera working again?
> state of browsers on unix is a disgrace, trapped between
> the firefox monster and webkit's grip.

If you don't need javascript then netsurf is quite good, and fast. Uses
its own layout engine, not webkit.
Brett.

Re: firefox leaking memory badly

Peter Nicolai Mathias Hansteen
frantisek holop <[hidden email]> writes:

> who do i have to kill to get opera working again?
> state of browsers on unix is a disgrace, trapped between
> the firefox monster and webkit's grip.

I've been using Chrome for a few weeks after I got tired of Firefox
dying with out of memory errors.  Quite nice, lets you run with lots of
tabs but the ads came back.  And I haven't gotten around to checking
whether Flash can be made to work there.

- P

Re: firefox leaking memory badly

Amit Kulkarni-5
> who do i have to kill to get opera working again?

If you want to go that separate Linux package route, I think improving
qemu to add the kernel acceleration, so you can maintain that
different package stack cleanly inside qemu.

> state of browsers on unix is a disgrace, trapped between
> the firefox monster and webkit's grip.

I am browsing on some bugs that Landry submitted to FF guys and Marco
submitted to webkit guys. Ouch....You need patience, loads of it. I am
thankful that OpenBSD doesn't have such bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo.
Buildbots are well and good, but if somebody can see it is a good fix
they should roll it and try out a daily build across their supported
platforms.

> it would be quite nice to have a prebuilt firefox-debug package
> but i guess it must be a monster to build...

doesn't take long if you have i386/amd64 with 2+ Gb of memory and any
1.5GHz+ Core Duo and up. You can use dpb and it will do it overnight.
Once you are done, weekly runs just update the packages.

I use something like (refer to man dpb, this is from memory)
dpb -f 4 -j 4 -u -U -F -R -P wanted_packages

contents of "wanted_packages"
www/mozilla-firefox
x11/xfe
x11/gnome
I build gnome3 like this after setting /etc/mk.conf.
Firefox balloons easily to while running the debug package, so your
/etc/login.conf needs to be tweaked.

http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/2011/07/06/memshrink-progress-week-3/