finance program

Daniel Thomas Nevistic
I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.

I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
involved with OpenBSD.

Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?

Daniel Nevistic
Electrical Engineering
University of Washington
206.818.1127

Re: finance program

Landry Breuil-3
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:00:03AM -0700, Daniel Thomas Nevistic wrote:
> I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
> OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.
>
> I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
> involved with OpenBSD.
>
> Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?

If you check in productivity/, we already have grisbi, and a port for
homebank is hidden in this ml thread:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2008-02/1168.html
And productivity/gnucash exists, but it's marked as broken : it needs
update... so feel free to start here :)

Landry

Re: finance program

Pierre-Emmanuel Andre
Le Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:14:53 +0200,
Landry Breuil <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:00:03AM -0700, Daniel Thomas Nevistic
> wrote:
> > I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
> > OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.
> >
> > I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
> > involved with OpenBSD.
> >
> > Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?
>
> If you check in productivity/, we already have grisbi, and a port for
> homebank is hidden in this ml thread:
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2008-02/1168.html
> And productivity/gnucash exists, but it's marked as broken : it needs
> update... so feel free to start here :)
>
> Landry

Updated port is here:
http://openbsd.raveland.org/pub/OpenBSD/homebank-3.8.tgz

atm, there is a bug on Sparc64 (homebank crashes). I'm working on it
with upstream's author and ajacoutot@.
I use it every day on @i386 without problems.

Pierre-Emmanuel André <pea at raveland.org>
GPG key: 0x7AE329DC

Re: finance program

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse-4
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:00:03AM -0700, Daniel Thomas Nevistic wrote:

> I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
> OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.
>
> I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
> involved with OpenBSD.
>
> Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?
>
> Daniel Nevistic
> Electrical Engineering
> University of Washington
> 206.818.1127

i'd like to see a port of ledger-smb ;-) but i'm too darn lazy to make a
port myself :)

 * http://www.ledgersmb.org/

cheers,
jasper

--
"Intelligence should guide our actions, but in harmony with the
  texture of the situation at hand"

CPB

Re: finance program

CPB
Actually, I'm interested in doing just that. But this would be my first
time making a port, so I will try it and see how it turns out.
Anyone got any advice on which things I should read up on first
(obviously, the FAQ first! ;) )

Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote:

> i'd like to see a port of ledger-smb ;-) but i'm too darn lazy to make a
> port myself :)
>
>  * http://www.ledgersmb.org/
>
> cheers,
> jasper

Re: finance program

Gerald Chudyk
LedgerSMB runs fine on OpenBSD. Install a few required packages, untar
the current LedgerSMB release into var/www and everything works. I
haven't tried a chroot solution, but since the package runs inside the
network, httpd -u does the job.

The LedgerSMB product is changing very frequently, so any fully
packaged solution would probably soon be out of date. The frequent
changes are a good thing as the current product is in quite a ragged
state.

What this project really needs are a few more perl developers with
time to spare. Wholesale logic and database changes are needed.
Unfortunately the dedicated developers on this project are
overextended.

One good thing about the project is the presence of a single focused
leader with a vision for change (sound familiar?). This is why I
expect good things from the project.

Regards,
Gerald.

On 4/21/08, Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:00:03AM -0700, Daniel Thomas Nevistic wrote:
>
> > I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
>  > OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.
>  >
>  > I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
>  > involved with OpenBSD.
>  >
>  > Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?
>  >
>  > Daniel Nevistic
>  > Electrical Engineering
>  > University of Washington
>  > 206.818.1127
>

> i'd like to see a port of ledger-smb ;-) but i'm too darn lazy to make a
>  port myself :)
>
>   * http://www.ledgersmb.org/
>
>  cheers,
>  jasper
>

>  --
>  "Intelligence should guide our actions, but in harmony with the
>   texture of the situation at hand"
>         -- Francisco Varela

Re: finance program

Daniel Thomas Nevistic
I will get GnuCash working; that should be a good way to get my hands
dirty!

---Thanks for the help guys.

Daniel Nevistic

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Landry Breuil wrote:

// On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:00:03AM -0700, Daniel Thomas Nevistic wrote:
// > I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
// > OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.
// >
// > I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
// > involved with OpenBSD.
// >
// > Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?
//
// If you check in productivity/, we already have grisbi, and a port for
// homebank is hidden in this ml thread:
// http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2008-02/1168.html
// And productivity/gnucash exists, but it's marked as broken : it needs
// update... so feel free to start here :)
//
// Landry
//

Re: finance program

TimH
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:57:18 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel Thomas Nevistic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I will get GnuCash working; that should be a good way to get my hands
> dirty!

        I believe Todd Fries had a mostly working port of 2.2.1.  IIRC, it only
needed to correctly install the docs.  I do not know if he had it available for
download anywhere, but he sent it to me at one point and I think it did build.

        I think the update in ports to v2 needed goffice, which is there now.

--TimH

Re: finance program

STeve Andre'
On Monday 21 April 2008 04:00:03 Daniel Thomas Nevistic wrote:
> I was thinking that it would be cool to have a finance program for
> OpenBSD.---gnucash & kmymoney (kde) both look like pretty solid.
>
> I would love to do the porting, since I have been wanting to get
> involved with OpenBSD.
>
> Would you guys be interested in having a financial program in ports?

Barring licensing issues, I think just about any program is welcome
to the ports tree.  I've certainly found useful programs that I had
not known about untill it appeared in ports.

--STeve Andre'

Re: finance program

Ingo Schwarze
Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse wrote on Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:49:27AM +0200:

> i'm too darn lazy

That was a really good laugh.
You only committed three ports today, did you?  :)
Come on, nobody will believe you!