faxing

Peter Fraser-2
Several years ago I put an OpenBSD system in as a firewall and mail server at a small charity that I volunteer at (kwaccessablility.ca)
that fixed nearly all the problems that they had with viruses, spam etc.

Last year I talked them in to switching to VOIP (on the OpenBSD server using Asterisk). Their phone costs dropped from over $250
per month to less than $30 per month (I used the service from unlimitel.ca). The change is costs per month made up for the costs
of the new telephone equipment within the year.

Nearly all their communication that was done by fax is now done by email, except for one organization. That organization which is
run by the city supplies transportation for physically handicapped. That organization is insisting on faxes. They will not take email.
The charity currently has an analog fax just for the purpose of arranging transportation, and that line is costing over $60 per month.

I looked at email to fax services, but I believe those queue the faxes up and send them as time is available.  The charity and
the transportation organization need immediate sending and receiving.  They carry out a conversation with hand written
notes (requiring the charity to type the responses would not be a problem).

Asterisk has a fax service, so I thought I could use that. But the Asterisk fax sending service requires TIFF in a directory
and receiving service puts a TIFF file in a directory.

 The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how does a person (probably a volunteer)
 on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD, and in addition send the information
as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of sending a fax.

 I don't think receiving the fax will be that much of a problem; it should be easy to take the fax out the directory
and send it as an email to a group mailbox.

What I don't have is a good to solution for is how the person sitting at the Windows machine is to send a fax.
 There are some commercial solutions for Linux, but I have no idea if they operate OpenBSD.
 The commercial solutions are generally of the format that an email gets sent and fax is extracted from the text of the message.

I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good suggestions on what I should do to
get faxing to work

Re: faxing

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Peter Fraser wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good suggestions on what I should do to
> get faxing to work

Connect the existing fax to a Linksys PAP2 (or whatever the current
model is called), use the g711 codec, setup the PAP2 correctly, and
faxing will work great. No need for a separate phone line anymore.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: faxing

Sebastian Reitenbach
On Monday, April 22, 2013 19:30 CEST, Peter Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Several years ago I put an OpenBSD system in as a firewall and mail server at a small charity that I volunteer at (kwaccessablility.ca)
> that fixed nearly all the problems that they had with viruses, spam etc.
>
> Last year I talked them in to switching to VOIP (on the OpenBSD server using Asterisk). Their phone costs dropped from over $250
> per month to less than $30 per month (I used the service from unlimitel.ca). The change is costs per month made up for the costs
> of the new telephone equipment within the year.
>
> Nearly all their communication that was done by fax is now done by email, except for one organization. That organization which is
> run by the city supplies transportation for physically handicapped. That organization is insisting on faxes. They will not take email.
> The charity currently has an analog fax just for the purpose of arranging transportation, and that line is costing over $60 per month.
>
> I looked at email to fax services, but I believe those queue the faxes up and send them as time is available.  The charity and
> the transportation organization need immediate sending and receiving.  They carry out a conversation with hand written
> notes (requiring the charity to type the responses would not be a problem).
>
> Asterisk has a fax service, so I thought I could use that. But the Asterisk fax sending service requires TIFF in a directory
> and receiving service puts a TIFF file in a directory.
>
>  The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how does a person (probably a volunteer)
>  on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD, and in addition send the information
> as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of sending a fax.
>
>  I don't think receiving the fax will be that much of a problem; it should be easy to take the fax out the directory
> and send it as an email to a group mailbox.
>
> What I don't have is a good to solution for is how the person sitting at the Windows machine is to send a fax.
>  There are some commercial solutions for Linux, but I have no idea if they operate OpenBSD.
>  The commercial solutions are generally of the format that an email gets sent and fax is extracted from the text of the message.
>
> I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good suggestions on what I should do to
> get faxing to work

I haven't had a need for FAX yet, but maybe give hylafax together with iaxmodem a try.
Both are in ports.
Or maybe read up here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+fax

cheers,
Sebastian

Re: faxing

Peter Fraser-2
I believe I am trying to interface into a T38 gateway which is supported by my SIP supplier.
I expect but don't know, that if I don't uses T38 my Sip supplier will send the call on a SIP
call to any other client which will not recognize it as FAX.

> I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good
> suggestions on what I should do to get faxing to work

Connect the existing fax to a Linksys PAP2 (or whatever the current model is called), use the g711 codec, setup the PAP2 correctly, and faxing will work great. No need for a separate phone line anymore.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: faxing

Richard Toohey
On 04/23/13 05:30, Peter Fraser wrote:
> [cut]
>
>   The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how does a person (probably a volunteer)
>   on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD, and in addition send the information
> as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of sending a fax.
>
> [cut]
Sounds like a job for Samba - at least the putting a TIFF file from
Windows onto an OpenBSD directory.

Re: faxing

Corey-43
On 04/22/13 12:30, Peter Fraser wrote:

> Several years ago I put an OpenBSD system in as a firewall and mail server at a small charity that I volunteer at (kwaccessablility.ca)
> that fixed nearly all the problems that they had with viruses, spam etc.
>
> Last year I talked them in to switching to VOIP (on the OpenBSD server using Asterisk). Their phone costs dropped from over $250
> per month to less than $30 per month (I used the service from unlimitel.ca). The change is costs per month made up for the costs
> of the new telephone equipment within the year.
>
> Nearly all their communication that was done by fax is now done by email, except for one organization. That organization which is
> run by the city supplies transportation for physically handicapped. That organization is insisting on faxes. They will not take email.
> The charity currently has an analog fax just for the purpose of arranging transportation, and that line is costing over $60 per month.
>
> I looked at email to fax services, but I believe those queue the faxes up and send them as time is available.  The charity and
> the transportation organization need immediate sending and receiving.  They carry out a conversation with hand written
> notes (requiring the charity to type the responses would not be a problem).
>
> Asterisk has a fax service, so I thought I could use that. But the Asterisk fax sending service requires TIFF in a directory
> and receiving service puts a TIFF file in a directory.
>
>   The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how does a person (probably a volunteer)
>   on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD, and in addition send the information
> as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of sending a fax.
>
>   I don't think receiving the fax will be that much of a problem; it should be easy to take the fax out the directory
> and send it as an email to a group mailbox.
>
> What I don't have is a good to solution for is how the person sitting at the Windows machine is to send a fax.
>   There are some commercial solutions for Linux, but I have no idea if they operate OpenBSD.
>   The commercial solutions are generally of the format that an email gets sent and fax is extracted from the text of the message.
>
> I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good suggestions on what I should do to
> get faxing to work

Have you tried connecting your analog fax machine to an ATA (analog
telephone adapter) and then to your Asterisk box? It may not be what you
are looking for, but my fax machine works fine over my VoIP (Voipo is
the provider). I'm not using Asterisk, but if it's all SIP I wouldn't
think that would matter.

Corey

Re: faxing

bitfrost
2013/4/22 Corey <[hidden email]>

> On 04/22/13 12:30, Peter Fraser wrote:
>
>> Several years ago I put an OpenBSD system in as a firewall and mail
>> server at a small charity that I volunteer at (kwaccessablility.ca)
>> that fixed nearly all the problems that they had with viruses, spam etc.
>>
>> Last year I talked them in to switching to VOIP (on the OpenBSD server
>> using Asterisk). Their phone costs dropped from over $250
>> per month to less than $30 per month (I used the service from
>> unlimitel.ca). The change is costs per month made up for the costs
>> of the new telephone equipment within the year.
>>
>> Nearly all their communication that was done by fax is now done by email,
>> except for one organization. That organization which is
>> run by the city supplies transportation for physically handicapped. That
>> organization is insisting on faxes. They will not take email.
>> The charity currently has an analog fax just for the purpose of arranging
>> transportation, and that line is costing over $60 per month.
>>
>> I looked at email to fax services, but I believe those queue the faxes up
>> and send them as time is available.  The charity and
>> the transportation organization need immediate sending and receiving.
>>  They carry out a conversation with hand written
>> notes (requiring the charity to type the responses would not be a
>> problem).
>>
>> Asterisk has a fax service, so I thought I could use that. But the
>> Asterisk fax sending service requires TIFF in a directory
>> and receiving service puts a TIFF file in a directory.
>>
>>   The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how
>> does a person (probably a volunteer)
>>   on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD,
>> and in addition send the information
>> as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of
>> sending a fax.
>>
>>   I don't think receiving the fax will be that much of a problem; it
>> should be easy to take the fax out the directory
>> and send it as an email to a group mailbox.
>>
>> What I don't have is a good to solution for is how the person sitting at
>> the Windows machine is to send a fax.
>>   There are some commercial solutions for Linux, but I have no idea if
>> they operate OpenBSD.
>>   The commercial solutions are generally of the format that an email gets
>> sent and fax is extracted from the text of the message.
>>
>> I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good
>> suggestions on what I should do to
>> get faxing to work
>>
>>  Have you tried connecting your analog fax machine to an ATA (analog
> telephone adapter) and then to your Asterisk box? It may not be what you
> are looking for, but my fax machine works fine over my VoIP (Voipo is the
> provider). I'm not using Asterisk, but if it's all SIP I wouldn't think
> that would matter.
>
> Corey

I think this is a clean solution, putting an ATA Works fine even for POS
Machines (Credit Cards) that require a land line.

--
Atentamente

Andrés Genovez Tobar / DTIT
Tel: 842388 ext 177
Perfil profesional http://lnkd.in/gcdhJE

Re: faxing

On 2013-04-22, Richard Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/23/13 05:30, Peter Fraser wrote:
>> [cut]
>>
>>   The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how does a person (probably a volunteer)
>>   on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD, and in addition send the information
>> as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of sending a fax.
>>
>> [cut]
> Sounds like a job for Samba - at least the putting a TIFF file from
> Windows onto an OpenBSD directory.

Or you could use something like fdm to process a mailbox, taking TIFF
attachments and moving them to the spool directory.

Re: faxing

On 2013-04-22, Mikkel C. Simonsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Peter Fraser wrote:
>> I would like to know if anyone has done something similar or any good suggestions on what I should do to
>> get faxing to work
>
> Connect the existing fax to a Linksys PAP2 (or whatever the current
> model is called), use the g711 codec, setup the PAP2 correctly, and
> faxing will work great. No need for a separate phone line anymore.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mikkel C. Simonsen

This depends on latency and jitter to your SIP provider.
FAX is very sensitive to this.

Re: faxing

sven falempin
On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 2013-04-22, Richard Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 04/23/13 05:30, Peter Fraser wrote:
> >> [cut]
> >>
> >>   The charity operates in a Windows environment. To the problem is: how
> does a person (probably a volunteer)
> >>   on a Windows machine put a TIFF file into a directory on an OpenBSD,
> and in addition send the information
> >> as to where send the fax and get back a status on success or failure of
> sending a fax.
> >>
> >> [cut]
> > Sounds like a job for Samba - at least the putting a TIFF file from
> > Windows onto an OpenBSD directory.
> >

> Or you could use something like fdm to process a mailbox, taking TIFF
> attachments and moving them to the spool directory.

+1

Always listen to Stuart !

/\

Re: faxing

Chris Cappuccio
Peter Fraser [[hidden email]] wrote:

> I believe I am trying to interface into a T38 gateway which is supported by my SIP supplier.
> I expect but don't know, that if I don't uses T38 my Sip supplier will send the call on a SIP
> call to any other client which will not recognize it as FAX.

Newer ATAs like the Linksys SPA2102 (now discontinued),
Cisco SPA122 (replacement), Obihai OBi302, all support T.38.

The SPA122 is simply not reliable with anything less than the newest
1.3.1(003) firmware. The Obihai is a great box but I'd recommend
it mainly for a service provider or someone who is already familiar
with VoIP. If you are an SP, they have a great "Zero touch" provisioning
option where they can hit your provisioning server (HTTP or HTTPS)
out-of-the-box and you buy direct from them.

Stuart Henderson [[hidden email]] wrote:

> This depends on latency and jitter to your SIP provider.
> FAX is very sensitive to this.

That's what T.38 is supposed to help with. Translates all the
fax modem tones to HDLC frames which then get transported over
the IP network.

If you have a full duplex Internet link with low load, you can do
G.711 based faxing and have a decent success rate. Otherwise, T.38
can handle the more typical situation.

Re: faxing

Chris Cappuccio
Andres Genovez [[hidden email]] wrote:
> I think this is a clean solution, putting an ATA Works fine even for POS
> Machines (Credit Cards) that require a land line.

Only when you have a damn good connection :)

Re: faxing

K.André Braselmann
iaxmodem works great with asterisk, at least under 4.7 with asterisk 1.6.

A little bit tricky at startup to get the right sequence with hylafax,
asterisk, iaxmodem.

André

--

André
There are no problems, just issues and tickets.

Re: faxing

Peter Fraser-2
First thanks for the help

Second I am not going to start implementing a FAX solution until I get 5.3
and even then it will take me some time since this is volunteer work and
I have to find time. I will probably get to it in mid-May.

I will first try hylafax with T38modem. If that fails try with IAXmodem
and in turn if that fails then with a Cisco PAP2T.

I will report on my success or failure.