/etc/hosts file not being used - OpenBSD v5.1

/etc/hosts file not being used - OpenBSD v5.1

Richard Brooks
As you can probably tell from the version number, I've been using OpenBSD
for a while, but have only recently discovered that name resolution entries
in the hosts file are not being used and that the o/s waltz's merrily off
to the remote DNS server when the info it needs is in the hosts file.

resolv.conf file has the 'lookup file bind' option along with entries for
domain and search. Also tried deleting the hosts file and just adding a
couple of entries, but no joy. The hosts file has read access for all users
set. Am not running named or dhcp servers.

Just did an o/s and user land update. That didn't help either. Also tried
renaming resolv.conf to _resolv.conf and rebooted so the o/s didn't have a
resolv.conf file, the default behaviour in this scenario being that the
hosts file is all that gets used, but alas it's not so.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

--
Regards
Richard

Re: /etc/hosts file not being used - OpenBSD v5.1

Otto Moerbeek
On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 09:16:47PM +0000, Richard Brooks wrote:

> As you can probably tell from the version number, I've been using OpenBSD
> for a while, but have only recently discovered that name resolution entries
> in the hosts file are not being used and that the o/s waltz's merrily off
> to the remote DNS server when the info it needs is in the hosts file.
>
> resolv.conf file has the 'lookup file bind' option along with entries for
> domain and search. Also tried deleting the hosts file and just adding a
> couple of entries, but no joy. The hosts file has read access for all users
> set. Am not running named or dhcp servers.
>
> Just did an o/s and user land update. That didn't help either. Also tried
> renaming resolv.conf to _resolv.conf and rebooted so the o/s didn't have a
> resolv.conf file, the default behaviour in this scenario being that the
> hosts file is all that gets used, but alas it's not so.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

How are you checking that /etc/hosts is not used?

Some commands (like dig) ignore /etc/hosts always.

        -Otto

Raf

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 04:16:47PM EST, Richard Brooks wrote:

> As you can probably tell from the version number, I've been using OpenBSD
> for a while, but have only recently discovered that name resolution entries
> in the hosts file are not being used and that the o/s waltz's merrily off
> to the remote DNS server when the info it needs is in the hosts file.
>
> resolv.conf file has the 'lookup file bind' option along with entries for
> domain and search. Also tried deleting the hosts file and just adding a
> couple of entries, but no joy. The hosts file has read access for all users
> set. Am not running named or dhcp servers.
>
> Just did an o/s and user land update. That didn't help either. Also tried
> renaming resolv.conf to _resolv.conf and rebooted so the o/s didn't have a
> resolv.conf file, the default behaviour in this scenario being that the
> hosts file is all that gets used, but alas it's not so.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Hi Richard,

Could you include both the 'hosts' and 'resolv.conf' files, please?

As already pointed out, how are you doing the lookup?

Regards,

Raf

Re: /etc/hosts file not being used - OpenBSD v5.1

Richard Brooks
Hi Raf

Would rather not gives these files out as they do reveal the layout of my
network. But the simple hosts file I tried was along the lines of:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 myserver.domain.com TheServer

Like I say the hosts file should do its work without the resolv.conf file
(which I tried), so that can't by itself be the issue. Probably best to
keep things simple to start with, then re-introduce the resolv.conf file
later once we get the resolver using the hosts file.

--
Regards
Richard

--
Regards
Richard

Raf

On Fri, Jan 02, 2015 at 04:53:32PM EST, Richard Brooks wrote:

> Hi Raf

Hi Richard,

> Would rather not gives these files out as they do reveal the layout of my
> network. But the simple hosts file I tried was along the lines of:

Content of 'resolv.conf' might be crucial here - otherwise you may be
wasting all our time here. I'm not asking for a verbatim copy of either
of the files but knowing which options you have used apart from the
aforementioned 'lookup' and 'nameserver', would be very nice.

> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.1.1 myserver.domain.com TheServer

You haven't answered my other question - how are you doing the lookup?

host myserver.domain.com

or

host myserver

or

host TheServer

also, please specify which utility you are using (host?).

Regards,

Raf

Re: /etc/hosts file not being used - OpenBSD v5.1

Richard Brooks
Hi Raf,

It's all been sorted. Should have used getent to check my tweaks.

--
Regards
Richard