endfake warning

Ted Unangst-6
I ran pkg_add -u and it printed a warning about @endfake being
obsolete. It may have been in the xvidcore package, or not; it was
hard to tell which package the warning was attached to.

Re: endfake warning

Antoine Jacoutot-7
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:06:40PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
> I ran pkg_add -u and it printed a warning about @endfake being
> obsolete. It may have been in the xvidcore package, or not; it was
> hard to tell which package the warning was attached to.

This is normal. @endfake is now obsolete. It's been removed from ports but some of your old pkg may still have this marker.
Since you just updated them, you won't see this warning anymore.

Antoine

Re: endfake warning

Ted Unangst-6
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:31, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:06:40PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
>> I ran pkg_add -u and it printed a warning about @endfake being
>> obsolete. It may have been in the xvidcore package, or not; it was
>> hard to tell which package the warning was attached to.
>
> This is normal. @endfake is now obsolete. It's been removed from ports but
> some of your old pkg may still have this marker.
> Since you just updated them, you won't see this warning anymore.

ok, but these packages were only a few weeks old. I think it's weird
to warn about something in this case, because there's nothing I could
have done about it. it just causes unnecessary panic. i.e., i either
read the warnings from pkg_add and think about them, or i slowly get
trained to ignore them entirely.

Re: endfake warning

Antoine Jacoutot-7

espie@ can probably fix that for you.

Antoine

Re: endfake warning

Marc Espie-2
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 03:30:00PM +0100, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:15:58AM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
> > >
> > > This is normal. @endfake is now obsolete. It's been removed from ports but
> > > some of your old pkg may still have this marker.
> > > Since you just updated them, you won't see this warning anymore.
> >
> > ok, but these packages were only a few weeks old. I think it's weird
> > to warn about something in this case, because there's nothing I could
> > have done about it. it just causes unnecessary panic. i.e., i either
> > read the warnings from pkg_add and think about them, or i slowly get
> > trained to ignore them entirely.
>
> espie@ can probably fix that for you.

Well, compare @endfake to all the stuff the gtk-update* whatever said
over the last 2 or 3 months each time glib2 changed...

Most of the time, when packages internals change, you don't even see a
thing...   as for endfake, I rushed things a bit, as we don't have that
much time before next release, which is the reason that you even SAW the
warning....

as for warnings, sure, go ahead, ignore them... pkg_add is not VERY verbose
compared to everything that goes on internally. They tend to be incredibly
useful when someone really gets into trouble, and they give me a verbatim
transcript of what went wrong...

Re: endfake warning

Theo de Raadt
>On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:31, Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:06:40PM -0500, Ted Unangst wrote:
>>> I ran pkg_add -u and it printed a warning about @endfake being
>>> obsolete. It may have been in the xvidcore package, or not; it was
>>> hard to tell which package the warning was attached to.
>>
>> This is normal. @endfake is now obsolete. It's been removed from ports but
>> some of your old pkg may still have this marker.
>> Since you just updated them, you won't see this warning anymore.
>
>ok, but these packages were only a few weeks old. I think it's weird
>to warn about something in this case, because there's nothing I could
>have done about it. it just causes unnecessary panic. i.e., i either
>read the warnings from pkg_add and think about them, or i slowly get
>trained to ignore them entirely.

What tedu saw is in a new package.  I saw it as well, on a fresh install.
I do not remember the exact package (but I did inform espie).

Re: endfake warning

Marc Espie-2
On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:51:49PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> >> This is normal. @endfake is now obsolete. It's been removed from ports but
> >> some of your old pkg may still have this marker.
> >> Since you just updated them, you won't see this warning anymore.
> >
> >ok, but these packages were only a few weeks old. I think it's weird
> >to warn about something in this case, because there's nothing I could
> >have done about it. it just causes unnecessary panic. i.e., i either
> >read the warnings from pkg_add and think about them, or i slowly get
> >trained to ignore them entirely.
>
> What tedu saw is in a new package.  I saw it as well, on a fresh install.
> I do not remember the exact package (but I did inform espie).

Oh, there are exactly five packages which did have @endfake still.
archivers/lzo
audio/gsm
audio/rplay
graphics/libungif
print/pdflib

I did things in order (remove stuff from ports, then commit pkg_add)
But there were already builds in the pipeline that still had @endfake,
and then we rushed some signed package snapshots out.

No biggy.