Quantcast

em error with dual-port NIC on G5 1.8Ghz

em error with dual-port NIC on G5 1.8Ghz

Geoffrey Peterson
Hello,

I just installed an Intel PRO/1000MT Dual Port Server Adapter
(PWLA8492MT) PCI-X card into my G5 tower running OpenBSD5.9 and it’s
not being handled correctly at boot, causing a freeze (technically,
starting adb0 causes the freeze, but this seems to be due to em
throwing "can't find i/o space" when configuring the NIC's second
ethernet port).

Both the G5 (www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/specs/powermac_g5_1.8.html)
and the dual-port NIC are listed as supported hardware
(man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man4/em.4).  The G5 boots fine
without the new NIC and also boots fine if I “disable em” in
boot_config (although then, obviously, the NIC isn’t configured).
I’ve tried the card unsuccessfully in all three of the available PCI-X
slots - in the below it’s in Slot 4.  I unfortunately don’t have
another machine on which to test to confirm the card itself is not
faulty.

Attached files are:
1) dmesg from stalled boot with NIC (transcribed from screen)
2) dmesg from successful boot without NIC
3) dmesg from successful boot with NIC but “em disabled”
4) “dump-device-tree” output from open firmware with NIC installed (via telnet)

I'd like to be helpful: if the fix for this issue makes the macppc
code more robust that’s great...but if it’s just messing with
configurations then no stress and I'll grab some different NIC cards
and not waste anyone's time :)  Please let me know if I can send
anything else to be helpful!

Many thanks in advance,
Geoffrey

1_dmesg_NIC.txt (4K) Download Attachment
2_dmesg_noNIC.txt (9K) Download Attachment
3_dmesg_NIC_em-disabled.txt (9K) Download Attachment
4_ofw_NIC_dump-device-tree.txt (158K) Download Attachment

Re: em error with dual-port NIC on G5 1.8Ghz

Geoffrey Peterson
Ping?  Or should I send this to misc or bugs (apologies for asking -
I'm new to the community)?  Thanks!