dwge(4) on Banana Pro

Jon Tabor
I have -current loaded on a Banana Pro board, and was experimenting with
using it as the router/firewall for my home network.  I added a USB
ethernet dongle (ure(4)), and set up pf, etc.

It seemed to work well, but I was seeing some occasional slowness and
certain services failed to load entirely.  This was most noticeable with
my Roku device, where it would never load the channel store and a few
other items (though streaming video worked 99% of the time).

After much packet tracing with tcpdump, I found that there were a huge
number of tcp retransmissions, indicating packet loss.

I was thinking the issue was with the ure(4) device, so I threw another
one in the mix, this time a tried-and-true axe(4) device.  Same issue.

Eventually, I hit upon removing the dwge(4) from the mix entirely, and
just using the ure(4) and axe(4) devices.  That seemed to fix things,
and now everything works as expected.

So it appears that the dwge(4) device isn't terribly reliable, at least
on my particular board.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Anything I can do to troubleshoot?

Other than this one issue, I'm super impressed with the armv7 build.  So
nice to have OpenBSD there.

Jon Tabor
[hidden email]
http://obsolete.site

'There is a saying: There is no such thing as overkill.
 There is only “Open fire!” and “Reloading!”'
― John Ringo, The Hot Gate

Re: dwge(4) on Banana Pro

Mark Kettenis
> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 08:17:46 -0700
> From: Jon Tabor <[hidden email]>
>
> I have -current loaded on a Banana Pro board, and was experimenting with
> using it as the router/firewall for my home network.  I added a USB
> ethernet dongle (ure(4)), and set up pf, etc.
>
> It seemed to work well, but I was seeing some occasional slowness and
> certain services failed to load entirely.  This was most noticeable with
> my Roku device, where it would never load the channel store and a few
> other items (though streaming video worked 99% of the time).
>
> After much packet tracing with tcpdump, I found that there were a huge
> number of tcp retransmissions, indicating packet loss.
>
> I was thinking the issue was with the ure(4) device, so I threw another
> one in the mix, this time a tried-and-true axe(4) device.  Same issue.
>
> Eventually, I hit upon removing the dwge(4) from the mix entirely, and
> just using the ure(4) and axe(4) devices.  That seemed to fix things,
> and now everything works as expected.
>
> So it appears that the dwge(4) device isn't terribly reliable, at least
> on my particular board.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  Anything I can do to troubleshoot?

I have not seen any problems on my Banana Pi (the SinoViop variant),
which has the same SoC.  But I don't really push it that hard.

We have seen issues with some U-Boot versions on some boards.  Don't
really remember if the was on an Allwinner A20 board though.  What
U-Boot version are you using?  And does your U-Boot include support
for the Ethernet interface?  A complete log of the boot process would
be helpful.

Another potential issue is a bad power supply.  I have seen
reliability issues on many boards that are fed through a micro-USB
port, especially when I add USB peripherals.  Apparently the voltage
drops below what some of the components on these boards accept if you
put too much load on the power supply.  If you use a separate cable,
make sure it is of decent quality and not too long!

Cheers,

Mark

Re: dwge(4) on Banana Pro

Jon Tabor
On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 03:17:29PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:

> I have not seen any problems on my Banana Pi (the SinoViop variant),
> which has the same SoC.  But I don't really push it that hard.
>
> We have seen issues with some U-Boot versions on some boards.  Don't
> really remember if the was on an Allwinner A20 board though.  What
> U-Boot version are you using?  And does your U-Boot include support
> for the Ethernet interface?  A complete log of the boot process would
> be helpful.
>
> Another potential issue is a bad power supply.  I have seen
> reliability issues on many boards that are fed through a micro-USB
> port, especially when I add USB peripherals.  Apparently the voltage
> drops below what some of the components on these boards accept if you
> put too much load on the power supply.  If you use a separate cable,
> make sure it is of decent quality and not too long!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply.

I've uploaded a copy of the boot process here:
http://obsolete.site/dockmaster.txt

UBoot version appears to be 2018.03. It looks like there's support for
Ethernet, as I see this:
Net:   eth0: ethernet@01c50000

The Banana Pro only has micro-USB for power, so I'm kinda stuck there.

This board previously served as a NAS running Raspbian using the same 3
amp power supply and 4 USB drives (though obviously with their own
power), and I didn't (to my knowledge) experience any issues
there, though I suppose I did and just didn't notice; performance wasn't
so hot anyway.

I'll experiment with swapping out the power supply (Lord knows I have
plenty of them) and power cord to see if that makes a difference.

Regardless, even with the ure(4) and axe(4) USB devices, this thing is
working flawlessly.