double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

SFM

double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

SFM
I did the following:

Created two HFS+ partitions using the Mac OS X disk utility; then I installed Mac OS 8.6 the first HFS+ partition. My goal is to install OpenBSD in the second partition.

Re: double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

Daniel Boyd-2
On Wed, 2017-11-01 at 18:59 +0100, SFM wrote:
> I did the following:
>
> Created two HFS+ partitions using the Mac OS X disk utility; then I installed Mac OS 8.6 the first HFS+ partition. My goal is to install OpenBSD in the second partition.

What have you tried so far?  Are you able to boot the OpenBSD
installer?

SFM

Basically I tried to create this OpenBSD partition without messing up the HFS+ partitions, one time I did it with fdisk, one time with pdisk, I ended up messing the hfs+ partitions both times. Booting from the INSTALL CD is no problem!
SFM

Re: double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

SFM
Thank you everyone for your interest and help, I am finally home so I
can explain the situation and my frustration a little further:

I partitioned my hard drive using the Disk Utility in the MacOS X live
CD. I created two equal HFS+ partitions. I successfully installed, and
regularly run, Mac OS 8.6 in this first partition. I want to install
OpenBSD in the second HFS+ partition, so I can double boot.

Following (or trying to follow) the MacPPC installation instructions, I
created a bootable OpenBSD 62 install CD. At the installer, everything
goes fine until I get asked if I want to use the whole disk, which I do
not, so  fdisk is summoned.

The problem is, the very first thing that fdisk tells me is "MBR has
invalid signature, not showing it". So I choose "edit", to which the
installer responds printing a completely empty disk layout with
partitions 0 to 4 all marked as "unused", which is BS because my disk
is, as stated, running 8.6 with no problem. This is what freaks me out.
Trying to summon pdisk from the shell does not help much, either.

Am I missing some step? doing something wrong? freaking out for reason?
Thanks a lot in advance!

Raymundo.-

Re: double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

Daniel Boyd-2

> On Nov 1, 2017, at 3:59 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Thank you everyone for your interest and help, I am finally home so I
> can explain the situation and my frustration a little further:
>
> I partitioned my hard drive using the Disk Utility in the MacOS X live
> CD. I created two equal HFS+ partitions. I successfully installed, and
> regularly run, Mac OS 8.6 in this first partition. I want to install
> OpenBSD in the second HFS+ partition, so I can double boot.
>
> Following (or trying to follow) the MacPPC installation instructions, I
> created a bootable OpenBSD 62 install CD. At the installer, everything
> goes fine until I get asked if I want to use the whole disk, which I do
> not, so  fdisk is summoned.
>
> The problem is, the very first thing that fdisk tells me is "MBR has
> invalid signature, not showing it". So I choose "edit", to which the
> installer responds printing a completely empty disk layout with
> partitions 0 to 4 all marked as "unused", which is BS because my disk
> is, as stated, running 8.6 with no problem. This is what freaks me out.
> Trying to summon pdisk from the shell does not help much, either.
>
> Am I missing some step? doing something wrong? freaking out for reason?
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Raymundo.-

First, OpenBSD won’t run on HFS+.  It needs an OpenBSD MBR partition which disklabel will then subdivide into smaller disklabel partitions which will be formatted with FFS.  The documentation says to leave the second partition as “unused” in Disk Utility (i.e. not HFS+).  I’m kind of doubtful that that will fix your issue, though, because fdisk should be able to read the partition map regardless.  I’m not sure why you’re getting that particular error.

I’d recommend giving the FAQ a read on the web site.  It has more info on partitioning.  If you’re new to OpenBSD, one thing to understand up front is that the system documentation is really good.  You will actually find helpful info if you read it.
SFM

Thanks for the input, my problem is fdisk tells me that the disk “has no valid signature” and shows the whole disk as unused. pdisk yields a similar input: “no valid partition map found on wd0 \ Create default map ? Y/N. The question is, will creating a default map mess up my entire disk now? I.e. If I type “yes” would I be able to boot Mac OS again ?

Re: double booting with iMac (bondie blue, rev 1)

Daniel Boyd-2
Yes -- that will erase your current partition map.