double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

SFM

double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

SFM
Hi PPC enthusiasts !

I have embarked in the (apparently suicidal) mission of installing OpenBSD 6.2 on the very first iMac, which is running Mac OS 8.6. I also have a Mac OS X CD which I use only for partitioning through disk utility.

Progress :

I Downloaded the iso image OpenBSD 6.2 macppc and Burned it into a bootable CD,

Partitioned my only hard drive with two equally sized HFS+ partitions. Mac OS 8.6 is installed in the first one. Goal: installing OpenBSD in the second HFS+ partition, keeping my MacOS partition intact.

The problem:

Although I followed the partitioning advise on MacPPC.install, the OpenBSD installer (i do not remember anymore if it was fdisk or pdisk) states that the drive does not have a valid partition table and shows the entire space as unallocated!

The request:

Someone, anyone willing to help me make my wish come true of installing OpenBSD in this baby, could help me with the following:

1) A brief but powerful description of the partitioning process.

2) a brief explanation of how is one supposed to “use Mac OS to move the bootloader to the first partition of the disk”, which is the last message after a successful installation (pretty shocking to read that if you just got rid of exactly that OS;  I did this mistake in the past, twice)

For both of these matters, The information contained in the installation document is simply not Enough for double booters. I wish that could be different.

Additionally, there seems to be strong disagreement on wether openfirmware allows booting from a usb stick, even more when it comes to older machines, like my iMac. Has anyone here had any successful experiences with this ?

Thank you very much in advance for any hints, comments and help !

Raymundo.-

Re: double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

Daniel Boyd-2
On Tue, 2017-10-31 at 21:56 +0100, SFM wrote:

> Hi PPC enthusiasts !
>
> I have embarked in the (apparently suicidal) mission of installing OpenBSD 6.2 on the very first iMac, which is running Mac OS 8.6. I also have a Mac OS X CD which I use only for partitioning through disk utility.
>
> Progress :
>
> I Downloaded the iso image OpenBSD 6.2 macppc and Burned it into a bootable CD,
>
> Partitioned my only hard drive with two equally sized HFS+ partitions. Mac OS 8.6 is installed in the first one. Goal: installing OpenBSD in the second HFS+ partition, keeping my MacOS partition intact.
>
> The problem:
>
> Although I followed the partitioning advise on MacPPC.install, the OpenBSD installer (i do not remember anymore if it was fdisk or pdisk) states that the drive does not have a valid partition table and shows the entire space as unallocated!
>
> The request:
>
> Someone, anyone willing to help me make my wish come true of installing OpenBSD in this baby, could help me with the following:
>
> 1) A brief but powerful description of the partitioning process.
>
> 2) a brief explanation of how is one supposed to “use Mac OS to move the bootloader to the first partition of the disk”, which is the last message after a successful installation (pretty shocking to read that if you just got rid of exactly that OS;  I did this mistake in the past, twice)
>
> For both of these matters, The information contained in the installation document is simply not Enough for double booters. I wish that could be different.
>
> Additionally, there seems to be strong disagreement on wether openfirmware allows booting from a usb stick, even more when it comes to older machines, like my iMac. Has anyone here had any successful experiences with this ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any hints, comments and help !
>
> Raymundo.-

I was just able to install onto a Mac G4 Cube last week.  I will let
someone more experienced than me help more, but I will give a couple
notes:

1) booting off USB thumb drive may be possible, but it is not
officially supported.  If you are able to boot the OpenBSD installer
from a CD, then you shouldn't need to do this

2) I wasn't attempting to dual-boot, but my understanding of the
install notes is that you want the first partition (i.e. the Mac
partition) to be HFS+ and the second partition to be set up as
"unused."  I'm not sure why the installer would think you don't have a
valid partition table, though...

3) “use Mac OS to move the bootloader to the first partition of the
disk” -- this just means copying 'ofwboot' to the root folder of your
mac partition

Re: double booting with iMac (Bondie blue, rev 1)

Fred
On 10/31/17 20:56, SFM wrote:

> Hi PPC enthusiasts !
>
> I have embarked in the (apparently suicidal) mission of installing OpenBSD 6.2 on the very first iMac, which is running Mac OS 8.6. I also have a Mac OS X CD which I use only for partitioning through disk utility.
>
> Progress :
>
> I Downloaded the iso image OpenBSD 6.2 macppc and Burned it into a bootable CD,
>
> Partitioned my only hard drive with two equally sized HFS+ partitions. Mac OS 8.6 is installed in the first one. Goal: installing OpenBSD in the second HFS+ partition, keeping my MacOS partition intact.
>
> The problem:
>
> Although I followed the partitioning advise on MacPPC.install, the OpenBSD installer (i do not remember anymore if it was fdisk or pdisk) states that the drive does not have a valid partition table and shows the entire space as unallocated!
>
> The request:
>
> Someone, anyone willing to help me make my wish come true of installing OpenBSD in this baby, could help me with the following:
>
> 1) A brief but powerful description of the partitioning process.
>
> 2) a brief explanation of how is one supposed to “use Mac OS to move the bootloader to the first partition of the disk”, which is the last message after a successful installation (pretty shocking to read that if you just got rid of exactly that OS;  I did this mistake in the past, twice)
>
> For both of these matters, The information contained in the installation document is simply not Enough for double booters. I wish that could be different.
>
> Additionally, there seems to be strong disagreement on wether openfirmware allows booting from a usb stick, even more when it comes to older machines, like my iMac. Has anyone here had any successful experiences with this ?
>
> Thank you very much in advance for any hints, comments and help !
>
> Raymundo.-

Hi,

My iBook G4 has only had OpenBSD on for the last few upgrades - as Apple
stopped supporting Mac OS X :~) but prior to Jan 2016 I happily dual
booted it.

To dual boot it - once you have installed OpenBSD you need to boot into
mac and copy the ofwboot from the installation to the root of your mac
partition - this can be done by ftp'ing the file so for 6.2 you would:

ftp ftp://ftp.eu.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.2/macppc/ofwboot

once ofwboot is in the root partition of the HFS+ filesystem I would
boot OpenBSD by typing:

0 > boot hd:,ofwboot

at the Open firmware prompt.

Hope fully this answers question 2.

The fdisk manpage (http://man.openbsd.org/fdisk) describes disk
partitioning better than I can.

hth, and enjoy running OpenBSD on macppc :~)

Cheers

Fred

SFM

I didn’t create a partition table (at least not explicitly), all I know is, i used a live MacOS X CD To create the HFS+ partitions

On Wed, 2017-11-01 at 18:45 +0100, SFM wrote:
> I didn’t create a partition table (at least not explicitly), all I know is, i used a live MacOS X CD To create the HFS+ partitions

If you created partitions with Disk Utility, then you have a partition
map.  Did you install MacOS first?  I believe install.macppc recommends
that Mac OS be up and running before you run the OpenBSD installer.