documentation for building a new package?

documentation for building a new package?

Mayuresh Kathe-5
what do i need to read regarding steps and procedure
for building a new package and having it included in
the openbsd repository?

Re: documentation for building a new package?

Antal Ispanovity
> what do i need to read regarding steps and procedure
> for building a new package and having it included in
> the openbsd repository?
It it is intended to be in ports: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/index.html
If you want your package to be included in the binary packages then I
don't know.

Re: documentation for building a new package?

Marc Espie-2
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 09:30:33AM +0000, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> what do i need to read regarding steps and procedure
> for building a new package and having it included in
> the openbsd repository?

Web site, porting information

Re: documentation for building a new package?

Paco Esteban
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> what do i need to read regarding steps and procedure
> for building a new package and having it included in
> the openbsd repository?

Read the porting guide:
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/guide.html

Also good references are ports(7) and bsd.port.mk(5).

This video was quite useful to me when I did my first update of a port:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TnemhzbXQ

I would also ask on [hidden email] if you have any questions.

Paco Esteban.
5818130B8A6DBC03

Re: documentation for building a new package?

Ingo Schwarze

Antal Ispanovity wrote on Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 11:39:41AM +0200:

>> what do i need to read regarding steps and procedure
>> for building a new package and having it included in
>> the openbsd repository?

> If it is intended to be in ports:
> https://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/index.html

Correct.

> If you want your package to be included in the binary packages
> then I don't know.

In the vast majority of cases, that is automatic from a porter's
perspective.

Once a developer has committed the new port and linked it to the
ports tree Makefiles, official bulk builds will automatically build
the package(s) and distribute them via the official servers.

There are rare exceptions of ports that do not produce packages
in the official bulk builds - for example when the license does
not permit distributing pre-compiled packages, or when they are
marked as BROKEN.

Yours,
  Ingo