documentation bundle as part of netpbm OpenBSD package?

documentation bundle as part of netpbm OpenBSD package?

Jonathan Thornburg
Hi,

I've used netpbm for years, and for me it has only one flaw:
no man pages.  As Christian Weisgerber wrote in message
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=114904961711375&w=1
(dated 31.May.2006)
> The upstream maintainer doesn't believe in man pages any more, so
> these are gone.

I often work on a laptop when travelling, i.e. without a network
connection, so having only "documentation on the web site" often means
no documentation at all.

So... what about providing a snapshot of the html docs (i.e. local
html-docs tree) as part of the netpbm package?  As it is, I (and anyone
else who wants a local set of documentation) have to fumble around with
each new OpenBSD version to get the right set of wget options to get a
local copy of the netpbm web sit.

ciao,

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg (remove -animal to reply) <[hidden email]>
   School of Mathematics, U of Southampton, England
                                      -- quote by Freire / poster by Oxfam

Re: documentation bundle as part of netpbm OpenBSD package?

Matthias Kilian
On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 06:50:30PM +0200, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:
> So... what about providing a snapshot of the html docs (i.e. local
> html-docs tree) as part of the netpbm package?  As it is, I (and anyone
> else who wants a local set of documentation) have to fumble around with
> each new OpenBSD version to get the right set of wget options to get a
> local copy of the netpbm web sit.

First, one would have to fetch the online documentation and provide
manually maintained distfiles on some server. True, we need this for
some ports, but it should be avoided if possible.

Second, don't you think that "nroff is more limiting than HTML"
attitude stated in doc/USERDOC of the netpbm sources is quite insane,
especilly given the fact that those fancy HTML documentation just
resembles the look of formatted manpages?

Third, to make even more clear how insane it is:

$ xwdtopnm -?
xwdtopnm: Use 'man xwdtopnm' for help.

So better try to talk to the author(s) of netpbm and convince them
to switch back to manpages (and optionally convert from nroff to
HTML using tools).

Ciao,
        Kili

--
Dringend neue Mitglieder gesucht!
                -- Selbstmord-Club Nordensen e.V.

Re: documentation bundle as part of netpbm OpenBSD package?

Christian Weisgerber
Matthias Kilian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So better try to talk to the author(s) of netpbm and convince them
> to switch back to manpages (and optionally convert from nroff to
> HTML using tools).

Fourthly, just what release--which of the three branches--of netpbm
does the online manual describe?  Oh, and by the way, what is the
license of the online docs?