dma problem on blade 150

Jim Raby
I have a Sun Blade 150 with a 650mhz cpu and 512 meg memory. I have a 120
gig hard drive.
I have downloaded the ISO file for sparc ver 4.6 and burnt it to a cd..
It loads and starts the install fro boot cdrom.. It works fine until it
installs the partions and writes them to disk
and goes to the next step. I noticed that it does this with the DMA option..
and it them keeps retrying
to istall the disk, but of course the system does not support DMA..
Can you advise as to how to get around this or a solution.. If you need
additional info please advise..

Jim Raby
303-437-0692

Re: dma problem on blade 150

J.C. Roberts-3
On Sat, 15 May 2010 16:05:47 -0600 "Jim Raby" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Sun Blade 150 with a 650mhz cpu and 512 meg memory. I have a
> 120 gig hard drive.
> I have downloaded the ISO file for sparc ver 4.6 and burnt it to a
> cd.. It loads and starts the install fro boot cdrom.. It works fine
> until it installs the partions and writes them to disk
> and goes to the next step. I noticed that it does this with the DMA
> option.. and it them keeps retrying
> to istall the disk, but of course the system does not support DMA..
> Can you advise as to how to get around this or a solution.. If you
> need additional info please advise..

Hi Jim,

Hopefully you meant the "srarc64" iso rather than the "sparc" iso, since
the latter does not support Sun Blade 150.

Though the 4.6 sparc64 release should run fine on your system, in three
days on May 19th, the new 4.7 will be released. You should see if you
can replicate the problem with the new 4.7 release.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could try running the 4.7-current
sparc64 snapshot (e.g. even newer than 4.7-release).

The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org

Re: dma problem on blade 150

J.C. Roberts-3
On Sun, 16 May 2010 13:32:06 -0600 "Jim Raby" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did download the sparc rather than sparc64.. did not look far
> enough... but i have downloaded both
> sparc64 4.6 and 4.7 snapshot and i get the same results.. when is is
> going through the startup script it
> adds ustrasparc dma to the end of the wd0 drive line. It would
> possibly work ok if that was no there.
>
> the error line that it keeps recycling and trying with is as follows:
>
> PciiDe0:0:0: Bus-Master DMA error:  missing interrupt, status 0x61
>
> jim

I hope you don't mind Jim, but since we're past the little things I
can help with, I'm cc'ing this back onto the bugs@ list.

I'm curious if it really reads "PciiDe0" rather than "pciide0" ?

Was that just a typo, or was that exactly what was displayed? --I ask
because the case shift makes it look corrupted (bad memory?).

It's been a while since I've run sparc64, I don't own any Sun Blade
systems, and I don't have a sparc64 machine handy at the moment. I just
checked the "INSTALL.sparc64" file of the 4.7-current snapshot for dma,
but there's nothing obvious. Yep, the "INSTALL.<arch>" file is always
required reading. If you skipped reading the INSTALL.<arch> file, it
could be the cause of your problems... such as the 'security-mode' of
the OpenBOOT ROM, or wrong frimware patch level or whatever.

At this point, I don't have a clue, so hopefully someone with the right
hardware and more knowledge can help you.

On Sun, 16 May 2010 14:44:15 -0600 "Jim Raby" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> sorry for the typo...
> it should read pciide0
>

> I really appreciate your help
>
> I can load freebsd on the system fine, but I cannot get Gnome to run
> as I do not think they have the right video driver available.. for
> the mach64
>
> opensolaris will not install as it comes up with a bad label message
> on boot
>
> Jim

cc'd on your replies because the list has people subscribed who know a
hell of a lot more than I do about sparc64.

--
The OpenBSD Journal - http://www.undeadly.org