dhcpd pid file

Matthew S Elmore
Greetings misc@,

Though I have been successfully running dhcpd myself for a few years
now, it has come to my attention when writing some scripts to help
maintain systems that there is no /var/run/dhcpd.pid file.

Is this by design? If so, is it possible to have it generate the pid
file on startup? (I do see a thread about this back in 2004 when
3.6-current was still being tested.)

I understand many are not fans of having lots of pid files laying around
their box. What then is the recommended way of killing and restarting
the daemon?

Many thanks,
Matt

Re: dhcpd pid file

Henning Brauer
* Matthew S Elmore <[hidden email]> [2006-01-27 20:55]:
> Though I have been successfully running dhcpd myself for a few years
> now, it has come to my attention when writing some scripts to help
> maintain systems that there is no /var/run/dhcpd.pid file.

> Is this by design?

yes. pid files are useless.

> I understand many are not fans of having lots of pid files laying around
> their box. What then is the recommended way of killing and restarting
> the daemon?

pkill(1)

--
BS Web Services, http://www.bsws.de/
OpenBSD-based Webhosting, Mail Services, Managed Servers, ...
(Dennis Ritchie)

Re: dhcpd pid file

Matthew S Elmore
Thanks Henning. That did the trick for me.

pkill works wonderfully.