dependency problem installing packages

Veraldi Riccardo
Hello,

I installed OpenBSD 6.3 on my Ultra 45.

Everything works fune but when I go to install a desktop environment
like gnome or mate the pkg installation fails because many dependencies
are missing.

For gnome for example:

Can't install gnome-3.26.2: can't resolve
gnome-todo-3.26.2p1,gnome-control-center-3.26.2,baobab-3.26.1,gvfs-smb-1.34.2.1,seahorse-3.20.0p0,gnome-music-3.26.2,file-roller-3.26.2,gvfs-goa-1.34.2.1,grilo-plugins-0.3.5p3,gnome-calendar-3.26.4,gnome-documents-3.26.2,sushi-3.24.0p4,gedit-plugins-3.22.0p1,gedit-3.22.1p2,gvfs-google-1.34.2.1,gnome-tweak-tool-3.26.4,bijiben-3.28.0,eog-3.26.2,gnome-initial-setup-3.26.0p0,gnome-contacts-3.26.1,gnome-dictionary-3.26.1,gnome-terminal-3.26.2,gnome-system-monitor-3.26.0,gnome-maps-3.26.2,gnome-photos-3.26.3,eog-plugins-3.26.2,gnome-session-3.26.1p1,gnome-calculator-3.26.0,gnome-shell-extensions-3.26.2

and in fact those packages do not appears to be in my install url site

elios# cat /etc/installurl
https://cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD

is there any way to find the dependencies ?

Do I need to install from ports collection ?

thanks

Rick

Re: dependency problem installing packages

Stuart Henderson
On 2018/10/18 12:59, Veraldi Riccardo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed OpenBSD 6.3 on my Ultra 45.
>
> Everything works fune but when I go to install a desktop environment like
> gnome or mate the pkg installation fails because many dependencies are
> missing.

Unfortunately the reality of much "portable" software today is that
relatively little caters for much outside Linux amd64 and the further
you get from that the harder it is to make it work.

The GNOME port maintainers do a great job getting it to work as
well as it does on OpenBSD at all but this is already a huge amount
of work already, porting to a less common and harder-to-support
architecture would just be an impossible amount of extra work for them
and realistically never going to be useful enough to enough people to be
worthwhile.

On 6.3 you might try xfce (the packages are there, but I couldn't say
if it's likely to actually work).

6.4 packages for sparc64 haven't finished building yet but looking
at the previous snapshot there are likely to be on the order of 1000
fewer than in 6.3, it's unlikely that xfce will be built there.

Re: dependency problem installing packages

Veraldi Riccardo
ok thank you