defaults for OpenSSH

Bruno Carnazzi
   Hi misc,

In order to have sane configuration defaults in OpenBSD, what are the
good reasons to not disable ssh root access, and to not disable sshv1
protocol by default ?

Best regards,

Bruno.

Re: defaults for OpenSSH

Bruno Carnazzi
2006/10/30, daniel <[hidden email]>:
> Bruno Carnazzi wrote:
> > In order to have sane configuration defaults in OpenBSD, what are the
> > good reasons to not disable ssh root access, and to not disable sshv1
> > protocol by default ?
>
> It's insane if you can't login after a fresh install...

But a fresh install with only root account is not sane :)

> d.
> --
> Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Copy me to your .signature file and
> help me propagate, thanks!

Re: defaults for OpenSSH

Matthew Weigel
Bruno Carnazzi wrote:
> 2006/10/30, daniel <[hidden email]>:
>> Bruno Carnazzi wrote:
>> > In order to have sane configuration defaults in OpenBSD, what are the
>> > good reasons to not disable ssh root access, and to not disable sshv1
>> > protocol by default ?
>>
>> It's insane if you can't login after a fresh install...
>
> But a fresh install with only root account is not sane :)

If you're doing a remote upgrade or install, it's at *least* helpful (if
not necessary) to be able to connect via SSH to the freshly installed,
just-rebooted system.
 Matthew Weigel

Re: defaults for OpenSSH

Theo de Raadt
> In order to have sane configuration defaults in OpenBSD, what are the
> good reasons to not disable ssh root access,

Machine administration.

> and to not disable sshv1
> protocol by default ?

I am actually more worried about security problems in the protocol 2
code which is roughly 4-5x as complicated.  People's fears are
misplaced.  But it is fun to ride a meme, isn't it.